Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Interesting. Anne Boleyn didn't get me in London, but I remember standing in front of Napoleon's Tomb in the Hôtel National des Invalides in Paris and it having that same impact.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #182
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Interesting. Anne Boleyn didn't get me in London, but I remember standing in front of Napoleon's Tomb in the Hôtel National des Invalides in Paris and it having that same impact.
That one gave me the shudders. I couldn't get the image of the photo of Hitler paying his respects by the tomb out my mind.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #183
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Thanks for the links Bookworm_Girl
That still is to this day an impressive fortress. Especially with the lights shining on it at night. How lucky you are to have seen it ! Did one thing stand out about the tower more than anything else for you when you saw it ?
It's one of the best tourist sites in London. Everything everyone mentioned makes it so special so it is hard to pick one thing. I remember it felt big when you walked outside the wall perimeter, but I was surprised at how small the interior courtyard seemed. The White Tower walls seemed very tall when you stood right next to it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #184
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, thanks from me too for the links, Bookworm_Girl. Those aerial shots were particularly interesting.

I believe that the walls were built massively high as part of William the Conqueror's plan to subdue (well, terrify) the Anglo-Saxons. "Don't even think about rebelling, as we shall crush you utterly" was the message, and it worked.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #185
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Well visiting the White Tower is now on my Bucket List

I agree Bookworm_Girl that sense of space being inside and outside the walls is something I would feel as well.

Also like Issybird felt , knowing Anne Boleyn's was buried under the chapel would get to me too ! So much history and historic figures in one place that met a cruel fate.

The Traitors Wall would too, I have the image in my mind of what that must have been like coming to the tower in a boat for those who were accused of being traitors.

I'm also impressed with the fortress to think it was built for the purpose of intimidation by William The Conqueror, so long ago yet it still stands today.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #186
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Aw, you guys are making me want to go to Great Britain again!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #187
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I found it impressive looking, but it also felt sinister to me. I couldn’t see past the brutality and atrocities. For me, it was a dark place.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #188
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I found it impressive looking, but it also felt sinister to me. I couldn’t see past the brutality and atrocities. For me, it was a dark place.
That's true it was. I guess the message was pretty clear, they had to get behind the sitting King or risk being accused of treason. Even if they had to pretend they were all for him. The penalty was death to say anything against him. It does explain as to why King Richard lll and others could do what they did like take the crown from the Princes. Intimidation was how they ruled back then.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote