Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How important are page numbers in Kindle Books?
Very important - I tend to avoid those books and forget the author 16 8.56%
Nice to have - I use them if they are there 57 30.48%
Not important at all - get over yourself. 114 60.96%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 AM   #286
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It isn't... if the time calculation is not right (as usual). But all of us have our methods and likings.
I find the time to be pretty accurate, myself. As you say, though, we all have our preferences. Fortunately the Kindle caters to mine .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:41 AM   #287
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I find that the time left is accurate enough. Absolute accuracy doesn't matter so long as it gives me an idea of whether I've got a big bit (30 mins) or a little bit (5 mins) of the chapter left.

Last night for example I was reading a book that has a mix of chapter lengths. I was getting tired but each time I started a new chapter the time left show 2,3 or 4 minutes, so I carried on. I did this for a few chapters until I got to a new one where the time left was 10mins, bookmarked it and put it down.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #288
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I'm curious where you developed the habit of wanting to know how much reading you have left to finish a chapter? I guess some other ereader device? (since paper books don't give you that information in a convenient way either)

People often mention wanting to know this but I have never understood why. When I run out of time, I just stop reading wherever I am in the book and take up from there later. It's not like you even need to insert a bookmark or anything with an ereader, it will keep track of that for you.

Is it really that much more satisfying to hit the end of the chapter before stopping?
I can't understand this. So you stop in the middle of a word? sentence?

My preference is to stop at some sort of scene break. A chapter is the most logical choice. A scene break between chapters is my next choice. Some sort of stopping point at the end of a paragraph that ends at the top of a page is next, for example, I don't like to stop in the middle of a lot of dialog.

I like to continue with the first new chapter that is on the current page.

Last edited by John F; 08-18-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: changed chapter to paragraph
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #289
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

My preference is to stop at some sort of scene break. A chapter is the most logical choice. A scene break between chapters is my next choice. Some sort of stopping point at the end of a chapter that ends at the top of a page is next, for example, I don't like to stop in the middle of a lot of dialog.

I stop wherever I am when I absolutely have to put the book down. I don't understand stopping at an arbitrary point--what do you do after you stop reading? Just sit and stare at the wall?

Every night, I read until I fall asleep. Literally. I've been doing this since I was a small child. One of the great things about e-readers is that I don't have to search for my page every morning when I wake up.

If I'm waiting for something, (doctor's office, public transportation, whatever) I read until I have to stop. How would the "stop at the end of the chapter" thing work? When I'm in a waiting room at the doctor's office, I never know how long it's going to take, so how would I know when to stop reading? I just read until the doctor is ready to see me, then I stop wherever I am.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #290
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I stop wherever I am when I absolutely have to put the book down. I don't understand stopping at an arbitrary point--what do you do after you stop reading? Just sit and stare at the wall?

Every night, I read until I fall asleep. Literally. I've been doing this since I was a small child. One of the great things about e-readers is that I don't have to search for my page every morning when I wake up.

If I'm waiting for something, (doctor's office, public transportation, whatever) I read until I have to stop. How would the "stop at the end of the chapter" thing work? When I'm in a waiting room at the doctor's office, I never know how long it's going to take, so how would I know when to stop reading? I just read until the doctor is ready to see me, then I stop wherever I am.

Shari
"Having to stop" is different then "choosing where to stop". For example, if I'm waiting at the dentist and they call my name on time (or within reason), I will stop immediatly, if they make me wait, I'll finish the paragraph (or next one if I'm close to a page break.

If I hear "dinner's ready", I'll finish the page and paragraph.

Using common sense and evaluating your situation usually works for me.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #291
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
I'm curious where you developed the habit of wanting to know how much reading you have left to finish a chapter? I guess some other ereader device? (since paper books don't give you that information in a convenient way either)
Mark current page by holding in left hand. Use right hand to flick to next chapter. Or hold in right hand and use left to go back to TOC and note page nos.

Much faster than doing the equivalent in Kindle.

I just prefer to stop reading at a chapter break, though not always possible with long chapters.

But actually, some Android ebook apps do have progress lines much more informative. E.g., a line with your current place and marks for each chapter break.

Quote:
Is it really that much more satisfying to hit the end of the chapter before stopping?
Yes. That's why chapters exist at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I just read until the doctor is ready to see me, then I stop wherever I am.
Obviously, when I have to, I do that.
Stopping at a chapter end is a preference, not a compulsion.

Last edited by AlanHK; 08-18-2017 at 11:10 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #292
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I must admit I never really read books unless I have some open-ended time. I used to. Back in the day I carried a paperback and would read it waiting for the bus etc. These days I'm more likely to use that time to read a forum like this, check twitter or listen to a podcast. I find reading in very small chunks, a few minutes here and there, to not be as satisfying.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #293
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Sometimes, yes. I've never had the need to finish a chapter. I read before bed...when my eyes won't stop rolling, I put my Kobo down, and close my eyes. I pay no attention to where I am in a chapter or on a page.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #294
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

My preference is to stop at some sort of scene break. A chapter is the most logical choice. A scene break between chapters is my next choice. Some sort of stopping point at the end of a paragraph that ends at the top of a page is next, for example, I don't like to stop in the middle of a lot of dialog.

I agree - I prefer to stop where there's some kind of natural break in the story.
I have read a few books, though, where each chapter ended on a sort of mini cliffhanger, so in that case a chapter end might not be the best place to stop!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #295
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I just prefer to stop reading at a chapter break, though not always possible with long chapters.
Or those books where the author believed that the book should be one chapter. Robert Silverberg's Starborne for an example of one I recently ran into.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #296
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Or those books where the author believed that the book should be one chapter. Robert Silverberg's Starborne for an example of one I recently ran into.
And Discworld. But with Discworld, there are usually a lot of well marked scene breaks.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #297
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Or Thomas Bernhard, who doesn't even have paragraphs, let alone chapters.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I just picked up The Man Who Folded Himself and has no chapters. The publisher created it as one long flow which on some Readers won't work as it's too big.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #299
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just picked up The Man Who Folded Himself and has no chapters. The publisher created it as one long flow which on some Readers won't work as it's too big.
Wow, that's an expensive ebook: £9.64 at Amazon! Did you find somewhere cheaper, Jon? One of my favourite books, but that really is a bit steep .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #300
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Seems like it's a non-agency book. You could use a Kobo discount code on it. Also it's only $10 on Amazon Canada(~6.20 pounds)
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote