Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #2281
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenges90 View Post
Sorry, my English is poor... I mean Lowantong can't flash the hotfix.
And I get confused about model lock again. When a device(not in that table) downgraded to its factory firmware, can I update a firmware that older than what is shipped with but newer than the factory one? If the answer is no, I understand the lock clearly. If yes, why not packaging images like Amazon? Just don't care about S/N, same device, same signed firmware.
Not in the table means it is not supported. Model lock means you have to do what is for that model, anything else will be rejected, deleted or just thrown out.

So what exactly are you wanting to do. If your model is not listed, we really cannot help you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #2282
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenges90 View Post
Sorry, my English is poor... I mean Lowantong can't flash the hotfix.
And I get confused about model lock again. When a device(not in that table) downgraded to its factory firmware, can I update a firmware that older than what is shipped with but newer than the factory one? If the answer is no, I understand the lock clearly. If yes, why not packaging images like Amazon? Just don't care about S/N, same device, same signed firmware.
People are far too human for that to work, even if it where technically possible.
Even the best of them can not be trusted to read and follow the directions.
Go look in the mirror for a handy example of that.

"Model locking" refers to the MODEL of the device, if it referred to the firmware version of the device, it would be called: "Version locking".
Technical English is funny that way, it means what is written, not what the reader desires.

You should NEVER try to install a firmware version older than what the model originally shipped with.
Amazon spent those $$$,$$$ developing the first firmware version for a specific model for a reason.
If they could have shipped the device with a version they already had, they would have done it.

WE DO package images like Amazon.
Amazon packages are model locked.
Our packages are model locked.
Amazon packages are cryptographically signed. (with their key)
Our packages are cryptographically signed. (with our key)
Both Amazon packages and our packages for years where both installed by the same Amazon provided installer (until the day MrPI became required).

For consumer firmware builds:
Just try to use an Amazon update package for a PW3 on your KV and see how far that gets you.
The package not being intended for the device will be deleted.
The only thing that will happen is you will have wasted your time and some electricity.

The "Factory-use-only" firmware builds are an exception.
They where built to be used only on the production line, for product testing.
They should NEVER have leaked out of the factory (but they did).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #2283
challenges90
challenges90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thank you for patiently explained.
I totally understand now.
challenges90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #2284
mikeyvalentine
mikeyvalentine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 90C6 (2014 basic) 5.8.9.2
FW 5.8.9.2 on model 90C6 (KT2)

I was successfully able to upload the .bin file to my kindle but was unable to update it.

There is a note that says if you log back into your kindle after trying to update it and the file is gone then the FW version is not a compatible downgrade from the version I am on.

Just wondering if there will be a release that works with 5.8.9.2?

The one thing I want to jailbreak for is just to put an image of the book im reading as the screen saver.

You'd think they would build that in as a basic on the no-ads versions....

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
mikeyvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #2285
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not likely.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #2286
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyvalentine View Post
I was successfully able to upload the .bin file to my kindle but was unable to update it.

There is a note that says if you log back into your kindle after trying to update it and the file is gone then the FW version is not a compatible downgrade from the version I am on.

The one thing I want to jailbreak for is just to put an image of the book im reading as the screen saver.

At this point your only option for a JB is to use the serial port with the proper hardware and procedure. This requires opening the KT2 and risks damaging it if you use the wrong hardware or don't take sufficient care with its fragile bits.

Alternatively, if this is a recent purchase perhaps you could return it for an exchange and ensure that one does not have a chance to upgrade itself before you JB it.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #2287
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyvalentine View Post

Unless you want to take it apart, you are pretty much stuck with their screensavers.

As to a new jailbreak, as of right now, it is not looking good. Stay tuned for further updates and while you are waiting feel free to enjoy the rest of MR. We have kindles and Kobos and Androids too. We have Apples and Nooks. We even have food, drinks and Instant Pot down in the lounge. Also an Amazon Echo. We also have the latest mobile news and general discussions. If you are in the market for a new book or device check out our deals and freebies. If you run out of ideas on books to read, check out the reading recommendations.
So look around, stay awhile, play some games and if you like go introduce yourself. There is a forum for that too. For other shopping, check out our local flea market.

Enjoy your stay here at Hotel Mobileread.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #2288
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And, if you are a programmer and willing to make your kindle a guinea pig, then maybe YOU can be the one who finds a way to jailbreak with version 5.8.9.2. Everyone else doing such work has left (or died, or is completing a PhD).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #2289
Lowantong
Lowantong began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Looks like I edited about the same time you posted this update. My post right above yours has how to re-package it, and i uploaded a copy.

Since I don't have an Oasis, I have no way to test it though.
Hi,

Where I can download the say uploaded copy?
Lowantong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #2290
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowantong View Post
Hi,

Post 2261 is where I put the bin file that I think should work on your GR oasis.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2261
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #2291
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Post 2261 is where I put the bin file that I think should work on your GR oasis.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2261
Quote:
Thanks for your teaching.

I know my device's serial number not in the table, I just want to try.

I don't know how to re-package the 'hotfix' update_*.bin. Anybody can teach me?

Thanks again.
And if the re-packaged 'hotfix' loads, then bookmark that worked example of re-packaging for your device.

You will have to do the same to any package of ours with the update_*.bin name format that you want to use.

And if you do that, please start a thread on how you are supporting your device, and post the re-packaged packages as attachments to your first post as you make them / test them.
Starting with the tested 'hotfix' package.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #2292
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Enjoy your stay here at Hotel Mobileread.
It really isn't a branch of the Hanoi Hilton, although my replies might sometimes read as if it where.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #2293
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
how i can force an OTA update?
after 1 day is still with the downgraded version (or is better don't update the kindle?)
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #2294
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
how i can force an OTA update?
after 1 day is still with the downgraded version (or is better don't update the kindle?)
Do step 8.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #2295
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
PW3 5.8.10: downgrade to factory-initial firmare is impossible.
On jail broken Kindle. PW3 5.8.10: downgrade to factory-initial firmware 5.7.4 is OK!
I did with the kterm and later I wrote a script for KUAL. It writes the file with the correct name to the root directory. SSH or kterm are not required.
My post on 4pda.ru
My script:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Enabledwgrd.zip (1.4 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Eliy; 07-23-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote