Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
pastaenthusiast
pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
How many books have you read on your ereader?

I was reading about the environmental impact of paper vs ebooks lately and it got me thinking about how many books we read on ereaders.
If you keep track or want to hazard a guess- how many books have you read on your specific ereader?
I have a Kobo Aura One and I just hit the 60 book mark on that reader. I read about half paper and half ebooks. I don't plan to upgrade my ereader soon so I hope to hit at least 100 before I need to buy a new reader.
pastaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I got my first Kindle in the winter of 2009. In a normal week average, I read 2 books. That means I've read close to 1,000 books since then.

I've always got 2-4 books going. I don't read any fiction on paper books anymore. I only read other books in print if I absolutely have to, and have great difficulty reading paperbacks.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I got my first Kindle in the winter of 2009. In a normal week average, I read 2 books. That means I've read close to 1,000 books since then.
But how many different reading devices have you bought in that time? The question asked was how many books you read on a specific reader, not how many ebooks you've read in total .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
it's difficult for me to say with precision, I think I have read at least 300 books since my first reader, a Kindle PW, in February 2017. Now I have also a Aura One (bought in July 2018) that is my favorite reader. I should have saved some money even considering the purchase of the second reader.

I do not know exactly how many books I read on each reader, may be 200-220 on PW and 80-100 on KAO.

Last edited by ps67; 12-31-2018 at 09:22 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how many different reading devices have you bought in that time? The question asked was how many books you read on a specific reader, not how many ebooks you've read in total .
I've no idea. I'm on my 6th Kindle.

K2, DX, Little Basic, 1st Paperwhite, 2nd Paperwhite, 2nd Oasis
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've also no idea. I've completely lost track of what reading devices I've owned, other than that it's well into double figures. All I can say is that in the last few years I've bought a new readers about once every 2-3 years, and that I typically read 100-120 ebooks a year, so I probably average somewhere around 200-350 books per reader. When devices were evolving rapidly, the number read per device would have been significantly lower.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I read 37 in 2018. 1 on Nook 2 on kobo and the rest on my Oasis and paperwhite. Kobo is low for its a new device for me. I like my Nook Glowlight but the screen quality is not as good as the oasis and kobo. I have owned and sold so many devices i can’t say to the all around total.

Last edited by HLS; 12-31-2018 at 10:21 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I typically read 30 to 40 books a year, sometimes as many as 50. I only read on my phone and on my various ereaders. I haven't read a paper book in so long I don't remember how long it's been. Well over 20 years. Before that I read paperbacks almost exclusively.

I currently have 10 ereaders and a phone that I read on. The majority is on my Kindles although I read a bit on my Kobos and a bit more on my Nooks. So I have no idea how to divide any of that up by reader.

Actually I'm not sure why anyone cares, other than just as a way to generate conversation, although I was motivated to reply to this thread so I guess I care. I'm not at all sure why.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaenthusiast View Post
I was reading about the environmental impact of paper vs ebooks lately and it got me thinking about how many books we read on ereaders.
If you keep track or want to hazard a guess- how many books have you read on your specific ereader?
I used my Nook ST until I broke the screen. I've used my Kobo Aura for 4+ years and just bought a refurbished Glowlight Plus. I haven't bought a paper book for myself since 2012.

But to be honest, I don't know what the environmental impact was for manufacturing those three readers vs the amount of paper books I would have bought.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I guess I read well in excess of 100 books a year (my LibraryThing review count so far is 124 and I expect to finish another couple today), mostly via the Kindle app on my iPad or iPhone. Others (not purchased from Big River) are read on the Icarus. As the bulk of my purchases are from Big River, and I generally read on my commute, this means the bulk of my reading is one or other of my iOS devices.

I can’t say which gets the bulk as with syncing I can switch between the two. I’m guessing over 100... I tend to use the Icarus when both devices are short of power and I’m on the train, or when I’m reading a non-Amazon purchase or give-away (I participate in the LibraryThing Early Reviewer programme).

Some of my reading is online - I often read on Fadedpage.com, especially books I recall from my youth but don’t especially want to own. A lot of my ebooks are to replace paper copies - so they apparently languish unread for months, because I’ve read the paper copy in the past and am not in any hurry to reread the electronic version.

Last edited by maddz; 12-31-2018 at 11:28 AM.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
...my LibraryThing review count so far is 124...
I loved LibraryThing in the days of paper books. I've slacked since then because Calibre does basically the same thing for ebooks. I keep meaning to go back, for the chat and reviews and such. I just wish they had a better mobile app.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Actually I'm not sure why anyone cares.
The OP is curious whether net environmental impact of ebooks + ereaders is less than or greater than the environmental impact of paper books.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I loved LibraryThing in the days of paper books. I've slacked since then because Calibre does basically the same thing for ebooks. I keep meaning to go back, for the chat and reviews and such. I just wish they had a better mobile app.
Unfortunately, not all my ebooks are loaded in Calibre - the bulk of my RPG pdf collection sits in iCloud, and although I’ve logged a lot in LT, I still have about 1/3 to go through and every so often I add another bunch from Bundle of Holding etc. The pain is that I generally have to manually add them, fiddle around with covers, then combine (or split inappropriately combined) editions... The only time I get to do this is weekends, and frequently we’re away with restricted broadband.

TBH, I don’t use the mobile app at all. I don’t like working on the small screen, especially when I’m doing a lot of editing.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The OP is curious whether net environmental impact of ebooks + ereaders is less than or greater than the environmental impact of paper books.
Is there any environmental impact? The reader would still be manufactured, and the paper book printed, irrespective of whether or not you personally bought them.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any environmental impact? The reader would still be manufactured, and the paper book printed, irrespective of whether or not you personally bought them.
There is in the aggregate in the long term. Future books will be printed and devices created based on sales trends over time.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote