Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-17-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
Question Using Calibre on a laptop to manage library on another system?

Greetings.

I've got a headless content-server up and running here in the house, and can browse the libraries through the web interface perfectly well. However, rather than attempting to edit metadata through the webinterface, I'd like to see about installing the desktop package on my laptop and tell it to connect to the local URL for the content-server's database.

Basically, using the GUI as a front-end for the CLI content-server. Can this be done?

Now, before you answer that, some information:

Content server: 3.39.1
Raspberry Pi 4b 8GB, Raspi OS 64-bit OS (hence the 3.39.1 server, from the repos)

Desktop: Win10 x64 (Calibre 5 installs and runs beautifully ).

I could install Ubuntu 64-bit, as that's now officially supporting arm64 architecture, but no clue what version of calibre is is their repos.
CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do you cannot conenct the gui to a server. The server comes with its own interface to manage the library that you use via a browser. Assuming you ever get the server updated that is. 3.x is too old. I suggest using archlinuxarm.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:09 PM   #3
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Do you cannot conenct the gui to a server. The server comes with its own interface to manage the library that you use via a browser. Assuming you ever get the server updated that is. 3.x is too old.
3.39.1 has a basic web interface, yes. I can edit individual books, one at a time. However, this is painstakingly slow: tap edit book, tap item to edit, type, save, tap data to edit, type, save, apply changes, back to library, tap next book, tap edit book, tap item to edit, type...... Much easier to edit multiple books at once in the GUI.

Quote:
I suggest using archlinuxarm.
I understand that's what you'd like. I hear you. For me it is a matter of time and mental energy investment: I am familiar with ubuntu/debian (which is what the Raspberry Pi OS is bas on), I am not familiar with ArchLinux.

So, do I attempt to learn a new application (calibre-server) and all it's own foibles, on a OS that i'm comfortable with, or do I attempt to learn a new application and all it's foibles on a completely-new-to-me operating system that I need to learn it's own foibles at the same time?

Currently, I've opted to try to stay on the operating system I'm comfortable with. I appreciate your responses.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Debian and Arch are not different operating systems. They share the same kernel and largely the same userspace. Debian just ships with older/buggier versions of everything, in the name of "stability".

And hey suit yourself. You just aren't going to get support for a version of calibre that is totally out of date. And yes the web interface is never going to be as efficient to use as the native one, becaause the former is optimized for touch and small screens and the latter for mouse+keyboard and large ones.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And hey suit yourself.
Thank you for your input.

Tags