Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Smartphones and tablets are leagues faster than the processors used in e-ink Kindles not to mention having much more RAM and significantly faster flash storage.
That's not really an explanation, given that sideloaded stuff lands in collections in seconds (even if the collection is big it "only" has to chew for twenty seconds or so). It's only this buggy-as-hell cloud collection stuff that exhibits all these disastrous failure modes.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
That's not really an explanation, given that sideloaded stuff lands in collections in seconds (even if the collection is big it "only" has to chew for twenty seconds or so). It's only this buggy-as-hell cloud collection stuff that exhibits all these disastrous failure modes.
On initial run, the Kindle downloads a list of all ebooks along with cover thumbnails. Unless you don't have a lot of books, this process by itself takes a long time for the Kindle to finish. Meanwhile, this is something that's very trivial on smartphones and tablets.

From what I can tell, the Kindle handles these tasks in stages with collections syncing being last priority (annoying, I know). Exacerbating the issue, these all seem to run at low-level background task priority. Would be nice if performance and library management improves. Yes, part of that is definitely due to software. However, faster CPU, more RAM and faster storage would help (but sadly, likely at the expense of battery life).

As it is, I only buy jailbreakable Kindles and use LibrarianSync for collections.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have 49 collections . I have had most of those for many years and others keep getting added. I have the O3, O1, Voyage that can use those cloud collections. My K3 and older basic of course cannot. At times I use the kindle app on my android. I have made collections and added books to them on all those devices including the webpage. All my collections show up on all my kindles. I can switch them out as I need to, if one of the other is closer. I keep the same collections "starred" on them so its pretty much the same. It takes under a minute at most for them to update when I add or delete books. Rare are the times where it takes a bit longer, but it does happen.

I have a few collections that have up to 700 books in it. I try not to go over that though so i always start a new "read" collection when I get close to that. That does take a wee longer, but not as it used to do. The older kindles could take like 3 minutes to add or remove a book from such long collections. Now its just second. And it all syncs across my devices perfect.

So it works fine for some of us. I wonder why it doesn't for others.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I checked my other Kindles (5 altogether) and while they show all 5 of my collections, they don’t agree about what is in 2 of them. Note that Kindles (and Fire) let you put audiobooks in Collections as well, but that’s not what is going on in this case.

I’ve never used web to create collections, but I have used it some to change what is in them. Maybe its the the web changes that have trouble getting picked up by Kindles. I seem to remember this stuff worked fine before web editing was possible but it’s not possible to confirm any of this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #20
Pichael
Pichael will become famous soon enoughPichael will become famous soon enoughPichael will become famous soon enoughPichael will become famous soon enoughPichael will become famous soon enoughPichael will become famous soon enough

Device: Paperwhite (2013), Oasis (2019)
Sorry if this has been mentioned, I didn't read all the other posts.

This same exact thing happened to me with my Kindle Oasis 3 I just got during black friday.
No matter what I did, I could not see all my cloud collections for some reason. Even spending 2 hours on chat with Amazon rep, they couldn't figure out what was the issue.

In the end I figured out on my own that it seems to be account related some how.
I decided to create a new Amazon account, de-register my Oasis from my main account and register it to my new one.
I then created some test collections in the cloud from the 'manage your content and devices' page and what do you know? They instantly appeared on my Oasis. No matter how many collections I made, they show up on the Oasis no problem!
Really annoying that it seems to work absolutely perfectly with this freshly made account, but with my main one it doesn't work properly at all.
Pichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
My thoughts too. I call BS on her explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On initial run, the Kindle downloads a list of all ebooks along with cover thumbnails. Unless you don't have a lot of books, this process by itself takes a long time for the Kindle to finish. Meanwhile, this is something that's very trivial on smartphones and tablets.

From what I can tell, the Kindle handles these tasks in stages with collections syncing being last priority (annoying, I know). Exacerbating the issue, these all seem to run at low-level background task priority. Would be nice if performance and library management improves. Yes, part of that is definitely due to software. However, faster CPU, more RAM and faster storage would help (but sadly, likely at the expense of battery life).

As it is, I only buy jailbreakable Kindles and use LibrarianSync for collections.
Well it has been a week for my Oasis 3 and a few months for my Kindle Basic 10th gen, and they still cannot see most of the collections that aren’t created on the Kindles themselves. Nor can they see collections created by the other Kindle. However all my Kindle apps on various iThingies can see all of them instantly. Plus the Kindles can only see some of the books in the few cloud collections they see. Totally screwed up. The problem is in the garbage programming on Amazon’s part. This is a well documented mess that has been around for at least two years according to other threads in omany other forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
So it works fine for some of us. I wonder why it doesn't for others.
I couldn’t care less it if supposedly works for you or not. I suspect you haven’t fully understood what the issue even is. It is clearly a problem for a lot of people, especially with newer Kindles.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-10-2019 at 09:55 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #22
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the newest kindle (Oasis3) and the oldest kindle and a bunch in between. I understand the issue just fine. It works for me, I don't know why it doesn't for others. Those are just the facts. I am not denying some have issues.

There is no need to be rude though. I think its worthy to try to figure out why there are differences in the results.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
My thoughts too. I call BS on her explanation.

Well it has been a week for my Oasis 3 and a few months for my Kindle Basic 10th gen, and they still cannot see most of the collections that aren’t created on the Kindles themselves. Nor can they see collections created by the other Kindle. However all my Kindle apps on various iThingies can see all of them instantly. Plus the Kindles can only see some of the books in the few cloud collections they see. Totally screwed up. The problem is in the garbage programming on Amazon’s part. This is a well documented mess that has been around for at least two years according to other threads in omany other forums.

I couldn’t care less it if supposedly works for you or not. I suspect you haven’t fully understood what the issue even is. It is clearly a problem for a lot of people, especially with newer Kindles.
I couldn't care less if you believe me or anyone else, (and you probably won't, because as we all know, you *are* the only expert on what happens with Kindles)

Just to throw some more data into the ring, though...when I change the filter on my Oasis 3 to "Collections" and have it set to show "All" I can see all 80 collections that are in the cloud. Keep in mind that not one of these collections were created on this device. I can also see all of my collections on my Oasis 2 and on both of my Voyages. I can't check on any of my other Kindles that support cloud collections because they aren't here right now.

Again...I don't know why it's working for me and Atunah and others, but not for you and some others. Maybe it's you who doesn't understand how to use your device?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #24
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I couldn't care less if you believe me or anyone else, (and you probably won't, because as we all know, you *are* the only expert on what happens with Kindles)

Just to throw some more data into the ring, though...when I change the filter on my Oasis 3 to "Collections" and have it set to show "All" I can see all 80 collections that are in the cloud. Keep in mind that not one of these collections were created on this device. I can also see all of my collections on my Oasis 2 and on both of my Voyages. I can't check on any of my other Kindles that support cloud collections because they aren't here right now.

Again...I don't know why it's working for me and Atunah and others, but not for you and some others. Maybe it's you who doesn't understand how to use your device?

Shari
Or maybe you (plural) lack the imagination and vision to properly analyze the issue. I don’t claim to be an expert, but I one thing I can’t stand is for those who don’t encounter an issue to claim that others must be doing something wrong if they do encounter it. That is hogwash, pure and simple. Enough people have been encountering Cloud Collections issues over the past few years to support theory that the issue is with a faulty cloud.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Or maybe you (plural) lack the imagination and vision to properly analyze the issue. I don’t claim to be an expert, but I one thing I can’t stand is for those who don’t encounter an issue to claim that others must be doing something wrong if they do encounter it. That is hogwash, pure and simple. Enough people have been encountering Cloud Collections issues over the past few years to support theory that the issue is with a faulty cloud.
Ok...please explain to me in words of one syllable what the problem is, then. I thought your problem was that you weren't able to see most collections on the Oasis 3 unless they were created on that particular device. If that *isn't* the problem, please let me know exactly what it is.

Also, since you aren't willing to take into account my experience, or that of Atunah, why in the world should we be willing to take into account the experiences of these mythical people who are having the same issue as you. Maybe you could link to some of these accounts of people having the same problems viewing collections?

Shari
Old 12-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Also, since you aren't willing to take into account my experience, or that of Atunah, why in the world should we be willing to take into account the experiences of these mythical people who are having the same issue as you. Maybe you could link to some of these accounts of people having the same problems viewing collections?
I certainly found them a flaming nightmare when I populated my new Oasis 3. I could at least see alll of them, but that's not really enough.

Downloading the collections didn't download their content (though it was supposed to), so I had to do tiresome item-by-item downloading (downloading from the manageyourkindle page downloaded 32 items or so and then refused to download the rest: even though it claimed they'd come down, they hadn't).

Many of the collections hadn't picked up additions and/or deletions, so their contents were very different from any of the already-populated Kindles.

Many items that appeared in particular collections could not be removed, because if you went into the add/remove collections screen for those items, they claimed not to be in that collection (and adding them, then removing them, didn't help). Some items were similarly not present in collections even though they were meant to be, and adding them was impossible... the only way to fix this for any given collection was to delete the entire collection, recreate it, and repopulate it, and when I did that half my Kindles never picked it up and now apparently their collections of the same name are wholly disconnected from the cloud collections and changes to them do not propagate to Amazon at all. Deleting the collection of that name from all the Kindles and the cloud doesn't help: the name is apparently poisoned and new collections of that name appear on the cloud view of the kindle you create it on, but never propagate up to the actual cloud as viewed from manageyourkindle nor to any of the other Kindles.

(Not that I trust manageyourkindle either, given that it claims that most of my collections are entirely empty -- they're not -- or shows titles whose names are a pile of buffer-overrun-like binary gibberish.)

To me the whole cloud collection thing feels like Amazon never tested it at all. It's *terrible*. So many bugs it's almost wholly unusable for its intended purpose.

I talked to Amazon CS about this and they were utterly useless: all they could suggest was deleting and recreating my entire account. They couldn't tell me if this would lose me all the books I bought (what do *you* think? of course it would), so I decided not to do anything and just pretend that the entire cloud collections software rubbish heap doesn't exist.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #27
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:

Downloading the collections didn't download their content (though it was supposed to), so I had to do tiresome item-by-item downloading (downloading from the manageyourkindle page downloaded 32 items or so and then refused to download the rest: even though it claimed they'd come down, they hadn't).
Kindles have never automatically downloaded the content onto the device. That would be chaos if one shares the account with someone. It only downloads to the device what you specify. That is how it has always worked, before and after cloud collections. One also has to specify on each device which collections will show on the device by "starring" it. Its called "add to downloaded" in the menu after a non starred collection.
Its been a while, but you can download 10 at a time from the account page.

I can't speak to the issue about not downloading the content to the device as I have never had that issue. I got my Oasis3 recently after trading up my Oasis2 so I had to put the books I wanted on the device back on. They do not, nor have they ever appeared on their own. You can see them with the cloud setting (ALL) of course and I can see all there, but if you want them on the device under downloaded, you must always do that. Download them.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #28
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have had no issues and I have dozens of collections
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #29
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Kindles have never automatically downloaded the content onto the device. That would be chaos if one shares the account with someone. It only downloads to the device what you specify.
Yes, but you're *supposed* to be able to download ("star") a collection and then all the collection's contents automatically come down too. It used to work. (Rumour has it that it still does work but that you have to wait a week or more for the thing to get around to doing it. Oddly enough I didn't wait a week. I kinda expected it to be more or less immediate.)

(Not that this would have been helpful, it turns out, because so many of the collections' contents were totally wrong.)
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #30
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, but you're *supposed* to be able to download ("star") a collection and then all the collection's contents automatically come down too. It used to work. (Rumour has it that it still does work but that you have to wait a week or more for the thing to get around to doing it. Oddly enough I didn't wait a week. I kinda expected it to be more or less immediate.)

(Not that this would have been helpful, it turns out, because so many of the collections' contents were totally wrong.)
I've never had the contents of a collection automatically load onto my Kindle, and I wouldn't want it to. I can *see* the contents of the collection if I choose to view "all" with the wifi turned on, but only the ones that I have explicitly chosen are downloaded to the device. Can you point to an account of the books being automatically downloaded? I've never seen it happen, and never heard of it happening either until now.

Shari