Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 Software Updates are now available

iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 Software Updates are now available.

I'm currently downloading and installing both: iOS 13.1 on my iPhone XR and iPadOS 13.1 on my 9.7" iPad Pro.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-24-2019 at 06:40 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got both installed in less than 25 minutes as both were installing on their respective devices concurrently.

Apple Pay Annoyance

iOS 13.0 and 13.1 as well as iPadOS 13.1 all prompt you to set up Apple Pay during the Finishing Install phase. In all cases I selected to set it up later in Settings. I have no desire to use Apple Pay. After installation is finished the Settings tab show an notification emblem on the icon, and when I opened Settings it was wanting me to set up Apple Pay. I find that annoying. Asking once should be more than enough, and Apple should bug off after that. I guess they really want to push this service.

On my iPad Pro 9.7" the Finishing Install phase was rather sluggish. When I pressed a button or link, nothing seemed to happen but the spinning progress wheel appeared in the upper-right of the screen. Eventually a new window would appear, but as I said it was rather sluggish. iPhone XR wasn't sluggish like though.

App Updates

Immediately after updating the OSes, I went to the App Store app to check for updates to apps. On the iPad there were 7 updates waiting. I checked just before updating to iPadOS and there wer zero. I had to manually refresh the screen a few time on the iPhone though before it updated the list from 0 to 7. So iOS 13.1 continues to have some refresh issues it seems.

Notes Refreshing Quickly Now

In iOS 13.0 I encountered Note refreshing issues wherein i took a long time for them to update to my iPhone XR. This seems to be fixed in iOS 13.1, and it doesn't seem to be an issue in iPadOS 13.1. Both are refreshing the Notes instantaneously as they should.

Email Issue from iOS 13.0

I encountered several occurrences of an issue in iOS 13.0 where I would get a sound notification that a new email had arrived, checking the notification allowed me to see the email, but when I opened the Email app the new email was not in my Inbox. It would take several manual refreshes and a few minutes before it showed up. I'll have to wait until I get an email to see if this has been fixed and whether it affects iPadOS 13.1.

ETA: Email issue from iOS 13.0 seems to be fixed in 13.1.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-24-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just updated my mini. Dark mode at last! Floating swipe-able keyboard! Voice Control!

Now I’m waiting for the first reading app to support multiple documents...

Re Updates showing up after System update — that seems pretty normal. The automatic check for app updates seems to be on its own schedule (maybe only once or twice a day), and it is totally normal that more would show up after manual refresh of update list at any time, regardless of whether there had been an intervening system update. For me, manual refresh nearly always adds to what was in the update queue, and I suppose most people don’t even know they can refresh.

Also the volume of app updates peaks around major iOS updates, as developers scramble to fix bugs and support new features. So just because update queue was empty prior to system update, the 30-60 minutes it takes to download and apply an update allows time for more updates to show up.

In my case, I had 14 apps to update following the update, but only after manual refresh. There were at least a dozen of them yesterday (I have 196 apps on board, do not ask why..)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Okay, one thing I immediately HATE is that they got rid of the spotlight search in the Notification Center on the iPad. Why would they do this? They left it in on the iPhone, but on the iPad it can now only be accessed from the home screen. This is frustrating as I frequently use spotlight search for simple calculations, amongst other things!
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

One feature I really like on iPadOS is the pinch and shrink keyboard. I always hated the keyboard in landscape mode on iPad taking up half of the screen. That was especially bad when in a forum like MR. The smaller keyboard makes it easier to see what I’m doing!
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I updated my Mini today to iPadOS and it feels like a new device. Dark mode looks good and the desktop-class web browsing in Safari is fantastic. I was thinking of upgrading my 2011 Macbook Air since Apple no longer supports it. But with my newly updated Mini and Bluetooth keyboard I have pretty much everything I would need in a laptop.

As long as Calibre continues to work on my Macbook Air, I think my current setup will serve my needs just fine.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Dark mode on iPadOS 13.1 might have a few glitches. I had Dark mode turned off (Light mode was on). I was reading the iPad User Guide for iPadOS 13.1 in the Books app when it suddenly started displaying the pages in Dark mode. No other apps I tried were using Dark mode. After closing and opening Books a few times and paging a bit it went back to using Light mode.

ETA: It keeps switching between Dark and Light mode. Rather annoying especially since I don’t like Dark mode in Books. It is too dark as it uses a black background rather than a dark grey one.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-24-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like Fonts feature is not quite there. Fonts appears in General settings, but the Open App Store button just dumps you in Today>Apps and I don’t see anything about fonts there.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Okay, one thing I immediately HATE is that they got rid of the spotlight search in the Notification Center on the iPad. Why would they do this? They left it in on the iPhone, but on the iPad it can now only be accessed from the home screen. This is frustrating as I frequently use spotlight search for simple calculations, amongst other things!
I was going to say, ‘oh just add Calculator control to Control Center’, but that’s only available on iPhone for some reason.

Should be some magic gesture to pull it up no matter where you are, after all you can use keyboard shortcut anywhere to invoke Spotlight.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

You can add the Calculator app to the Today View as a widget. See attached screen capture. It only uses the normal mode and you cannot switch to the scientific mode as far as I can tell.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29643439-4DE8-4D15-B1F0-4D90F15E4DEB.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	173691  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-24-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

The double-tap, triple-tap, and quadruple-tap gestures for selecting a word, sentence, and paragraph only seem to work when editing. They don’t work in a News article, Books app, or web page. Seems rather short sighted to me.

Also the finger manipulation of the cursor is really wonky just like in iOS 12.x. Sometimes the page goes into hyper scroll mode. Really annoying.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I was going to say, ‘oh just add Calculator control to Control Center’, but that’s only available on iPhone for some reason.

Should be some magic gesture to pull it up no matter where you are, after all you can use keyboard shortcut anywhere to invoke Spotlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
You can add the Calculator app to the Today View as a widget. See attached screen capture. It only uses the normal mode and you cannot switch to the scientific mode as far as I can tell.

I prefer calculating with spotlight regardless, as...
1. You can view and edit your operations.
2. it has unit and currency conversion built-in.

EDIT: Hmm, so apparently you can still access spotlight outside of the home screen... but only if you have an external keyboard.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-24-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

On the topic of searching, one little change that is neither here nor there is the fact that you no longer can search the page you are on from the URL bar. Instead you have to go into the menu and select "find on page". I suppose this does make more sense for those coming from a desktop, but still it threw me off at first.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #14
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

It seems rather unintuitive to use the Share icon as a way to display a menu for a web page. For example, Find on Page has absolutely nothing to do with Sharing a page, link, or anything else. Why not just use an intuitive hamburger icon like everyone else in the world. After all most anyone with a tablet or smartphone knows what the hamburger icon means.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:56 AM   #15
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

*shrugs*

I guess Apple doesn't want to clutter the bar, and its still mostly share options.

Oh, and he's one unintuitive behavior that's been removed in this update: holding the volume down button no longer instantly mutes the iPad. This was a weird quirk left over from the original iPad. I'm glad that it's finally gone.