Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why buy another phone when you have several smartphones already available? You can just delete/disable apps you don't want to use and spend nothing.
Mostly because a "phone app" on a cellular mini-tablet is not the same as a phone you dial by simply pushing physical buttons.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Mostly because a "phone app" on a cellular mini-tablet is not the same as a phone you dial by simply pushing physical buttons.
I guess so. I've never thought that anyone bought a flip phone because they wanted physical buttons.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I guess so. I've never thought that anyone bought a flip phone because they wanted physical buttons.
I have one because it's small, durable, and folds up to protect the display. It's just the right size to fit in the front pocket of a pair of jeans. Physical buttons aren't a factor for owning one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not necessarily the physical buttons, it's the fact that on an Android or iPhone you have to open an app to make a call. Sometimes there are lock-ups or delays getting there. It's a different experience.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not necessarily the physical buttons, it's the fact that on an Android or iPhone you have to open an app to make a call. Sometimes there are lock-ups or delays getting there. It's a different experience.
I'll take your word for it. But I highly doubt the majority of flip phone users stick to them because there might be a lock-up or delay. I also doubt the delay you speak of is a real thing, if you are trying to say that a flip phone dials faster than a smart phone.
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #66
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I know that for my brother, who had Parkinson's, buttons were an absolute necessity. Using a touchscreen was extremely hard. He tried to make a call using my phone, and he just couldn't do it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have never had a lock-up or a delay in opening the phone app on an iPhone. So I don't see this as a valid reason for getting a dumb phone (well, if it's not smart, it has to be dumb ).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #68
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I can see as an emergency phone, a flip phone has an advantage, but for a day to day phone, why close the app (the phone app would always be active when the phone wakes up)? Or just use Siri?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I squeeze the sides of my phone and say "call Bob."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #70
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I know that for my brother, who had Parkinson's, buttons were an absolute necessity. Using a touchscreen was extremely hard. He tried to make a call using my phone, and he just couldn't do it.

Shari
I'm sorry about your brother. That is a great point on why we need buttons still made, so I hope they don't keep getting limited. I would imagine the same for bad cases of degenerative arthritis or other health conditions. I already have trouble getting the buttons to read right myself when it comes to touchtone phones.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #71
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Sure, but that's missing the whole point. There are people out there that want a minimalist phone. I don't get it myself and I don't think they'll sell at $350. But if they can do it, more power to them.
I can understand wanting a minimalist phone, but it shouldn't be so pricey when so many features that usually drive up the cost have been removed. I'm sure you're not disagreeing with me on that, but wanted to put out there I'm not saying there is never a reason to leave out minimalist phones altogether.

The cost though, good grief.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I can understand wanting a minimalist phone, but it shouldn't be so pricey when so many features that usually drive up the cost have been removed. I'm sure you're not disagreeing with me on that, but wanted to put out there I'm not saying there is never a reason to leave out minimalist phones altogether.

The cost though, good grief.
I totally understand why it is so pricey. They are a very minor company manufacturing an expensive device and don't have the economy of scale.

I don't think they will sell at the price they are asking, but it's not like the company is charging an unreasonable price for no good reason at all.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #73
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have never had a lock-up or a delay in opening the phone app on an iPhone. So I don't see this as a valid reason for getting a dumb phone (well, if it's not smart, it has to be dumb ).
Wait till you get older and your fingertips start "drying up." Sometimes I just can't get the capacitive screen to slide open. My fingers don't "grip" the screen. Can be frustrating, especially when you're trying to answer a call.

I also have trouble separating plastic bags at grocery stores now. I'm getting to be an old goober.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I totally understand why it is so pricey. They are a very minor company manufacturing an expensive device and don't have the economy of scale.
The thing is, it's not really that expensive of a device, if it's made in any volume at all. Unless they are being gouged on the eInk screen. That would have to be a lot of gouging to get the price to $350.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The thing is, it's not really that expensive of a device, if it's made in any volume at all. Unless they are being gouged on the eInk screen. That would have to be a lot of gouging to get the price to $350.
What experience are you basing this on?

Reading the article, the owners of the company don't seem to be planning on building a Scrooge McDuck style money bin to hoard their Light Phone profits. I do believe them when they said that pricing it at $350 is as cheap as they were able to go.