Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question sync to different pc - different library location

i usually get calibre working on a new windows 10 pc by one way ( mirror) syncing both the library and the app data folder from old to new PC and then running both PCs in parallel until I am confident it all looks good. Then finally invert the sync so that the new PC install becomes the master copy...
that method works find, with the default paths, but this time around I want the library on a different D: drive, as I have a small SSD C drive
But when I sync all the config data, something in there directs calibre back to C for the library location. it is only a couple of clicks to switch the library though.

so should I do that manual intervention after every(mirror) sync, or
should I fool calibre by using sym links/ junctions or are there other solutions
e.g. is there a specic entry somewhere in app data that has the library location, so that I can exclude that specific file from the config data sync ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The last used location (and all others) is stored in the configuration.
If you copy, that is where it looks. You just need to replace the out dated values using the Switch/create option
If you don't change settings on OLD, there is probably no reason to copy (again). Keeping plugins updated, is probably easier to just use New to do that task (unless you are on a metered download)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The last used location (and all others) is stored in the configuration.
that is what i thought and yes I can sync once then reset it.

but the slicker/ more aesthetic solution ( for which i need a hint) is: within free file sync I can set the mirroring function to exclude a specific file when I sync a folder. so I could exclude the one thing somewhere in the app data folder that holds the last used library location - if I knew what that file was called ?

or I junction it like so
mklink /j C:/users/xxx/documents/"calibre library" D:/"calibre library"
[ the mklink source folder has to not exist so I first delete the empty calibre library folder in my docs then do that, then sync into it ]
from memory - one advantage of doing this for music libraries is that playlists copy over Ok even when the library is not really on the C drive

my how-to-do-it notes ( which i used for my music libraries ) say
admin command prompt
mklink /J from-directory to-directory
the from-directory should NOT exist
the to-directory should already exist
If your path has any spaces in it, you need to place quotes around it
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You can exclude gui.json, inside calibre configuration. You will lose the gui configuration, however.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The last opened library is stored in prefs.py

But it is better to just modify the shortcut you use to open calibre passing in the --with-library option, then you dont have to exclude files from syncing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert