Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #2776
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Hi James and welcome.

I listen to a mix of fiction and nonfiction. I find my retention of nonfiction isn't as good as when I read it, but since it's for enjoyment and there's no test on Monday, that doesn't matter. I still finish knowing more than when I started.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #2777
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
I finished The Shining, which I liked better than I was expecting. What can I say, I can be a sucker for stories about people being stranded, but it was the best King I've read (not that I've read many). I do know that over the years King and fans have made a big ruckus over the film version being a disappointment as an adaptation, but I'll say it- the Kubrick film version is better than the book.

I did like it well enough to, since I didn't have anything else lined up, immediately start on the sequel audiobook- Doctor Sleep narrated by Will Patton. I've just finished that one and it's a dud. Silly, and more of a supernatural YA action-thriller than a horror. Not that there's anything wrong with supernatural YA action-thrillers, I could like something from that genre, but this book was just silly. I even laughed out loud at the part where
Spoiler:
after tricking the villain Rose the Hat, the teenage female protagonist Abra with glee and vengeance in her voice tells Rose to enjoy eating the diseased soul essence of her recently dead great-grandmother Momo. "You like the taste of my Momo? Eat my Momo, you bitch, eat her!"

[edit- For those keeping track, yes I am still going to see the Doctor Sleep film version with my friend for their sake as I'd told them I would. I will suffer through it but at least there's Ewan McGregor to enjoy.]

Now I'm onto The Blue Lagoon by Henry de Vere Stacpoole, as read by Adrian Praetzellis. I bought this on Audible then found out as I started listening (as it wasn't part of the preview) that they declare they (the company "booktrack") used a Librivox recording and just added background music. Well, it's my only option as there are no other audiobooks I can find of The Blue Lagoon so I'm sticking with it, but I found that distasteful. I hope that they informed Praetzellis and are giving him some part of the revenue, but it sounds like they aren't since if they had an agreement with Praetzellis they would've left out the "from Librivox" part. I understand Librivox recording are in the public domain and as such can be used like this but it still feels distasteful for them to do that, and not have it clear to buyers on the Audible site. At least they do announce it on the actual audiobook anyway.

That said, I actually do enjoy the music they added, and it's full-audiobook music, not just at the beginning and end. This may annoy some people but I'm enjoying it very much and in the past I've wished some books with bits of music would play throughout as well. They also have taken care to change up and use appropriate music for each scene and for me it really adds to the feel of the audiobook. I wish more audiobooks would add soft scene-appropriate background music and noises all throughout.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #2778
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I listen to a fair amount of nonfiction myself, James.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations