Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Kobo NAND upgrade

I'm thinking of buying a Forma, and am interested in seeing if it's possible to backup the flash memory, then replace the NAND with a larger chip.

Has anybody attempted this yet, and/or can somebody help me get a good scan of the PCB/NAND chip?
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
Hi,

There are fcc registrations

Forma: https://fccid.io/NOIKBN782

Libra: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=NOIKBN873
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Forma, and am interested in seeing if it's possible to backup the flash memory, then replace the NAND with a larger chip.

Has anybody attempted this yet, and/or can somebody help me get a good scan of the PCB/NAND chip?
Do you have a surface mount rework station available for you to use? Are you experienced in using that equipment?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:33 AM   #4
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you have a surface mount rework station available for you to use? Are you experienced in using that equipment?
I do some SMD work, but the memory package used for the Kobo Forma would probably require me to re-ball a new chip, and I have never done that before. considering that the same pads are also on other Kobo devices that use a µSD card instead, I wonder if it is possible to 'botch' a micro SD card in this device.

Looking at the datasheet for the CPU, it certainly is possible: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX6SLLCEC.pdf (page 6 mentions it, specified on page 45-46

The question is if the pins required are in any way connected.

I see there is also a USB OTG boot possibility, I have tested this with my Glo HD (which has mcimx6L7dvn10ab, while the Forma has mcimx6V7dvn10ab) but it looks like the external microUSB port is not capable, or I am missing the firmware/software to boot via OTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black View Post
Thank you, I could not find these at the time I wrote the post
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hack, hacking, hardware, kobo