Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
IWS naming effort (Please see other thread. This thread is moot.)

Hey. Catlady came up with an idea that made this thread pointless. Please see the new thread. Thanks! Gregg

Spoiler:
Okay, I need to name the IWS in my comic novel Rise of the Animal Rescue Feminists. (The IWS is a group of women animal rescue feminists.) I have the book out to beta readers and many of them will write reviews as well, so I need to keep it IWS. (I don't want reviews saying it's about the IWS... and then the name is different in other reviews.) In the book, members are called "IWSers." Even the "IWS" is not a big feature of the book, but they do chant it at times. "IWS rules!" I plan on just mentioning whatever IWS means a few times and keeping it in the background. I like the idea of International and Women's for the first two letters but am open to anything. And I can't use anything that's already out there.

The best I've come up with is:

International Women's Solidarity. Not quite perfect but the IWS does pull together and consider their loyalty to women and animals to be of the utmost importance.

btw International Women's Society exists and can't be used.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 01-19-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Reason for this thread no longer exists
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Okay, I need to name the IWS in my comic novel Rise of the Animal Rescue Feminists. (The IWS is a group of women animal rescue feminists.) I have the book out to beta readers and many of them will write reviews as well, so I need to keep it IWS. (I don't want reviews saying it's about the IWS... and then the name is different in other reviews.) In the book, members are called "IWSers." Even the "IWS" is not a big feature of the book, but they do chant it at times. "IWS rules!" I plan on just mentioning whatever IWS means a few times and keeping it in the background. I like the idea of International and Women's for the first two letters but am open to anything. And I can't use anything that's already out there.

The best I've come up with is:

International Women's Solidarity. Not quite perfect but the IWS does pull together and consider their loyalty to women and animals to be of the utmost importance.

btw International Women's Society exists and can't be used.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
It needs to connect women and animals.
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
"International Women's" is obvious and thus boring. You need to be more creative with those letters, assuming you're wedded to them. Surprise people when they find out what it means.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Illiterate Womens Sircle
Irate Women Simmering
Idle Whinging Sisters
Isolation Ward Sisters

More seriously, how about one of:

Industrious/Illustrious/Incredible/Impressive/Immalicious World Sisterhood

I particularly like Immalicious (having no evil intent), as this would give additional reason why the rest of the sisterhood would be concern about Lainey's predilection for killing men.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
This attempt to create a meaning for an initialism after the fact seems so crazy that I can't wrap my head around it. I could see working backwards from a catchy, pronounceable acronym, but from meaning letters? It's nuts.

ETA: I meant to say "from MEANINGLESS letters."

Last edited by Catlady; 01-19-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: ETA
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Catlady, writers are nuts!

Being nuts is a prerequisite for the job. Anyone that slips past the initial filters will quickly be converted.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:34 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
One could of course give the IWS a name that doesn't relate to the story at all. Then, in a prequel, it could be explained how the Indianapolis Woodworking Society (or whatever) turned into what it is now.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
One could of course give the IWS a name that doesn't relate to the story at all. Then, in a prequel, it could be explained how the Indianapolis Woodworking Society (or whatever) turned into what it is now.
I like this idea.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Perhaps the domain name IWS.com became free after Industrial Waste and Sewage let it lapse by mistake?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Catlady, writers are nuts!

Being nuts is a prerequisite for the job. Anyone that slips past the initial filters will quickly be converted.
Writers are nuts, but readers aren't.

As far as I can see, the reason for not scrapping IWS is that beta readers already are reading the ms. that uses the initials IWS. And they might mention IWS in a review. Except then we're also assured that IWS isn't all that important in the story--so what's the actual likelihood of a reviewer from the pool of beta readers even mentioning it?

And, obviously, beta readers know that they are not reading the final ms. and changes may be made. Seems to me that it would be easy to alert such readers that the name of the organization will change. Seems to me that it would also be easy to make a global change to the ms. with a new name that would make a modicum of sense.

But then I'm not nuts. At least for now.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
fun idea, especially give that is a "comic novel".

Perhaps there is a real name, defined somewhere in the storyline, and that each of the women has their own pet satirical substitute name, used occasionally. Sort of like my personal habit of referring to Adobe Ps, Ai, and the old PageMaker as "Photosh*t", "Irratator", and "RageMaker". But I guess this won't work as the book seems to already be written.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Isabella's Wildlife Saviors, or any other woman's "I" name.

Unfortunately, wildlife does not generally include domesticated animals, if it matters to your plot.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It needs to connect women and animals.
Yes. Agree.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Do you think I need to say what the IWS stands for in the blurb or can I wait till I put it in the book?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Do you think I need to say what the IWS stands for in the blurb or can I wait till I put it in the book?
Just put it in the book.
Closed Thread