Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Aura One: *#&^%B blank lines between paragraphs

I'm going to continue griping for a while. Hardware-wise, by the way, the Aura One looks great to me. No mistake about that.

Okay, so it looks like every book that I bougth via Kobo and that I don't sideload but download from the Kobo shop will have that bloody irritating formatting of having blank lines between every paragraph. I hate it, I really hate it. I want it to look like a regular book, with extra no spacing between between paragraphs but just indents to indicate paragraph starts.

Isn't there a setting anywhere to change this?

(It looks like books that I sideload look fine, but geeze... For some reason the sideloade duplicates of books bought via Kobo don't always seem to show up rightaway, &c. &c.)
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
I'm going to continue griping for a while. Hardware-wise, by the way, the Aura One looks great to me. No mistake about that.

Okay, so it looks like every book that I bougth via Kobo and that I don't sideload but download from the Kobo shop will have that bloody irritating formatting of having blank lines between every paragraph. I hate it, I really hate it. I want it to look like a regular book, with extra no spacing between between paragraphs but just indents to indicate paragraph starts.

(It looks like books that I sideload look fine, but geeze... For some reason the sideloade duplicates of books bought via Kobo don't always seem to show up rightaway, &c. &c.)
Unfortunately, I think this is the publishers layout. Good news is I've seen this less with books published in the last year.

If I'm wrong and there is a setting that fixes this without side loading, I will be happy to learn about it.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Caliber can reformat your books to remove those spaces.. But that might not be for you if you don't use a desktop.. A lot of people use tablets now

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Not much use to you but that spacing is set by the style elements created by the ebook publisher. If the book is not DRM protected, you can use Calibre to do a quick and dirty fixup or use Sigil or Calibre's builtin editor to do a better cleanup. Just takes some time to get used to either of them.

I have no desire to start another "religious" discussion over whether Kobo following the embedded style is a 'Good Thing" or a 'Bad Thing'. If the publisher does a good job or the publisher does a (fortunatelly less and less common) crap job of formatting the epub, your Kobo will show it.

Personally, I have a stylesheet that I use when driven to editing an epub with $%^&*( formatting. Using Sigil and it's regex, it takes about 20 minutes on the average to reduce the epub to my rather vanilla formatting. No more absolute fonts sizes, no more fixed image sizes, no more widows and orphans set to 5, etc.

This is for sideloaded epubs (or kepubs using Calibre and the appropriate plugin). Editing a Kobo kepub downloaded from their servers without turning it into just another sideloaded ebook is not for the faint of heart (i.e. anyone who does not think of a factory reset or signout to regenerate your database as fun for a Sunday afternoon).

Last edited by DNSB; 09-06-2016 at 09:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If these eBooks have no DRM or have had the DRM removed, use Calibre's editor. Start with removing extra CSS entries. That helps alot given how many extra CSS entries are used because a lot of publisher (from the BPH) use a catch-all CSS.

After that, it's very easy to go into the CSS, find the offending code and fix it. I do this because I do not like paragraph spaces.

As for Kobo, there is no way to override these paragraph spaces other than editing the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember; the o/p was talking about books DOWNLOADED from the Kobo store (ie synced via WiFi) and NOT books downloaded to a PC / MAC and sideloaded.

While yes, the o/p COULD download via ADE, remove DRM via Alf and then edit the resulting ePub this would not allow the same ease of obtaining material directly from the Kobo store (and, if so desired from the local Library via the Kobo Overdrive integration).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember; the o/p was talking about books DOWNLOADED from the Kobo store (ie synced via WiFi) and NOT books downloaded to a PC / MAC and sideloaded.

While yes, the o/p COULD download via ADE, remove DRM via Alf and then edit the resulting ePub this would not allow the same ease of obtaining material directly from the Kobo store (and, if so desired from the local Library via the Kobo Overdrive integration).
He did not say if the books are WiFi downloaded or Kobo Desktop downloaded. If they are desktop downloaded, then they could be moved to Calibre, have the DRM removed, and the CSS edited.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

One thing to try is downloading via ADE and comparing to the direct download. This way you can see if it is the conversion to kepub adding paragraph spaces or if the books came that way originally.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
He did not say if the books are WiFi downloaded or Kobo Desktop downloaded. If they are desktop downloaded, then they could be moved to Calibre, have the DRM removed, and the CSS edited.
For the problem described, it doesn't matter which is used. The same book ends up on the device. The only advantage of using the desktop app is that it is easier to get into calibre if they want to fiddle with the book. But then, it becomes a question of whether it is easier to use the desktop app or download the epub from store to the PC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the tips. And just FYI, to be clear what I'm talking about: I notice those annoying blank lines mostly in books that I bought through Kobo and downloaded on the device from the Kobo store. And I have to correct myself and say that this doesn't apply to *all* those books, just to a fair number of them, unfortunately.
In fact, I've complained about this before and it's probably just the same problem recurring, having nothing to do with the Aura One per se.

It does seem to be a weird collocation of both the publisher's formatting *and* something at Kobo's end, because if I download those same books from Kobo on my PC and open them in ADE, I *don't* see those *&%$# blank lines. So it was something that was added to the book by the Kobo shop, I think.

Regardless of whether I've downloaded the book on the device from the Kobo shop, also always download it on the PC and import into Calibre. And I've started sideloading those books (even though I'd bought them at Kobo and sometimes had already downloaded them "the official" way) from Calibre onto the device as well.

Because I noticed that the versions that Calibre sideloads of those same books, thanks to the prober Kobo extensions probably, does *not* contain the blank lines between paragraphs. Without my having done any complicated individual editing of books or CSS or what have you.

Weird, isn't it? But I'm going to stop worrying and just learn to accept that there are some books I'd better sideload from Calibre. And hope that I never get into a situation where I have to do more complicated things to make a book look like a book. :-)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's the downside of using HTML / CSS for eBooks.

Authors/Publishers go crazy with the styles [for unfathomable reasons - unlike webpages, ebooks actually look better the less CSS they have], some books don't even let you change the font. The preferred paragraph style (same for: justification, font, size, margins, ...) should be a setting on the reader and apply to all books... but that's not how it works.

In an ideal world Calibre would be superfluous but we don't have that, you just have to convert / remove offending styles / use external helpers for collection management / etc. the list goes on...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you use calibre and convert a kepub, you will screw it up. The only way to fix a kepub is to remove the DRM (if there is any) and use Calibre's editor to edit the CSS to fix the paragraph spaces.

The following URL is where you should go to get the plug-ins for Calibre to remove DRM and to get help/learn how to use the plug-ins.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips. And just FYI, to be clear what I'm talking about: I notice those annoying blank lines mostly in books that I bought through Kobo and downloaded on the device from the Kobo store. And I have to correct myself and say that this doesn't apply to *all* those books, just to a fair number of them, unfortunately.
In fact, I've complained about this before and it's probably just the same problem recurring, having nothing to do with the Aura One per se.
From my experience, the number of books like this have dropped drastically over the last few years. I can't think of the last one I bought that was formatted like this.

And you are right, it has nothing to do with which Kobo device.
Quote:
It does seem to be a weird collocation of both the publisher's formatting *and* something at Kobo's end, because if I download those same books from Kobo on my PC and open them in ADE, I *don't* see those *&%$# blank lines. So it was something that was added to the book by the Kobo shop, I think.

Regardless of whether I've downloaded the book on the device from the Kobo shop, also always download it on the PC and import into Calibre. And I've started sideloading those books (even though I'd bought them at Kobo and sometimes had already downloaded them "the official" way) from Calibre onto the device as well.

Because I noticed that the versions that Calibre sideloads of those same books, thanks to the prober Kobo extensions probably, does *not* contain the blank lines between paragraphs. Without my having done any complicated individual editing of books or CSS or what have you.

Weird, isn't it? But I'm going to stop worrying and just learn to accept that there are some books I'd better sideload from Calibre. And hope that I never get into a situation where I have to do more complicated things to make a book look like a book. :-)
I have found that in a lot of cases, the epub and kepub are different versions. There are differences in the code that are not likely to have been affected by the kepubbing process. The difference include covers, ToC and general formatting. I think this is more common for DRM protected books than non-DRM books.

My practice is that start reading the book using the purchased and downloaded kepub. If the formatting is bad, or there are other problems, I fix them in the epub version and sideload that. I do occasionally sideload as kepub if I think the book will work better that way. That mainly means it has a lot of footnotes or images in it
Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you use calibre and convert a kepub, you will screw it up. The only way to fix a kepub is to remove the DRM (if there is any) and use Calibre's editor to edit the CSS to fix the paragraph spaces.
Jon, if the kepub has no DRM, it is just an epub. The only thing it has extra is all the spans. If you add the book as an epub, they will cause no problems when run through the conversion process. Of course, you could load it as a kepub and let calibre do the conversion to epub with the appropriate conversion plugins installed.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #15
franklekens
Addict

Thanks for the tip. I do de-DRM when necessary, I just left that implicit.