Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
fulcrum
fulcrum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Kindle DX and Programming books

Hi,

I have a PRS-505 which I use as my daily reader. It is great and I love it.

The drawback is that I can't view programming books that I own on PDF (quite a few of the APress titles).

This is due to the screen size. Now that the Kindle DX is available for the international market I was thinking of getting one just for my programming books.

Does anyone have one that they view programming books in PDF format on? If so, could you please let me know the following:

1) Do you get a whole screen per page?
2) Is it legible at a full screen per page if you can get that?
3) Do screenshots appear legible?
4) Can you read code blocks ok? Code blocks are normally a different font, maybe a lighter colour, or even black on a grey panel.

Thanks for any help on this people.
fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
1) Yes in Portrait. In landscape an A4 is viewed in 3 steps, adjusting the side blank margins.

2) A normal McGraw or Apress book, yes, but font is a little small for my comfortability, however it can be read.

3) It depends of the amount of colors and size. Generally yes, but sometimes no.

4) It depend of the color. If the color is very clear, no. If the color is grayed from text, yes.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
fulcrum

rfog... thanks for the quick reply.

From what I understand the DX auto rotates if you turn it to landscape. Are the screenshots much clearer then (assuming it was size, not the colouring of the original image causing the loss of clarity)?

If so, is rotating to landscape a relatively quick process, or does it involve a lot of repagination and causes big delays?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
You can disable rotation if you want, or you can rotate manually.

Depending of the complexity of the PDF, rotation time is similar to page turning or takes a little more time.

And yes, you can see the image better if it was size problem.

Most Kindle DX limitation is that it does not have a zoom utility for PDF like DR1000 has and if you cannot see in Landscape you cannot se in any other size.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
fulcrum

Thanks rfog. I think I'll get one now that I know what to expect. you've been a great help.
Advert