Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
GizmoPlanet
GizmoPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds (1898)

Having just bought a Sony PRS300 e-book reader, I've been spending time learning how it works and how I can make the best use of it. So far, I've been able to load up classic titles downloaded from free e-book sites like the Gutenberg Project.

One of the titles I've downloaded is War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells. Reading books on an e-reader has so far been quite a different experience, but I find that using one actually helps me get more deeply into a book.

So far, I've really been enjoying reading it. I sometimes associate classic works with boring, stilted language and a dull approach that doesn't engage modern readers very well.

Not so with Wells, who writes with a fluid, elegant style that is a joy to read. The imagery he uses is also vivid, and he brings a human scale and perspective to science fiction that is sometimes lacking in other similar works.

This is a title I highly recommend.
GizmoPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It is a great book
FYI you can get many of those books here on MR. Go to the top of the page and go to ebooks. You want LRF/BBEb format. They're much better than those on Gutenberg IMHO, since they've been carefully cleaned up.

And if you liked War of the Worlds, you should check out The Island of Doctor Moreau by Wells also. Totally creeped me out!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoPlanet View Post
This is a title I highly recommend.
It's a classic. There are nicely formatted versions of it, and other Wells stuff, here in our Mobile Read library.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote