Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Feature Request: Lock Metadata

Its quite time consuming trawling through a heap of books and tidying up the titles/author, then downloading the metadata etc etc

This isnt a problem, because ideally you only do it once.

But sometimes, when you're bulk updating, or bulk downloading meta-data, its easy to overwrite an older books data, since you didnt notice it was in the filtered list.

Id love to have the ability to lock each ebook, after they're exactly how I want them. This means that any attempt to bulk-update the title, author, metadata etc, would result in an error (ie, cant update meta-data, the following books were locked...)

Would anyone else find this useful, or is it just me?

Thanks
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpii View Post
Id love to have the ability to lock each ebook, after they're exactly how I want them. This means that any attempt to bulk-update the title, author, metadata etc, would result in an error (ie, cant update meta-data, the following books were locked...)
This is exactly why I added the "Overwrite author and title by default" options on the main Preferences page and in the single metadata page. Unticking it allows you to globally lock author and title data at least. I keep it off. Default is on. Author and title are how Calibre identifies an ebook, so when they are not locked, you can "lose" a book by accidentally changing one or both. I considered making separate global locks on author vs. title, but too many options is just as bad as too few.

Yes, I suppose I'd like to lock books individually, or even have global locks on other bits of metadata, but it''s not a pressing need for me.

Last edited by Starson17; 02-27-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Mhystic
Mhystic began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I would like that if it worked. Ihave the problem of using Calibre for the first time and having adjusted the meta data for a hundred+ of books. When I put them on my nook the last character of most of the information changed to an asian language...any ideas why?
Mhystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a known problem with setting metadata in certain types of PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote