Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
kic
kic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 int.
Smile Pictures of an open Kindle 2 international

Hello together,

I could not find any pictures of an open Kindle 2 international - the main thing I was interested in is if there is a SIM card inside or not? Today I was fed up googleing and opened a K2i.

Pictures (not so good though) can be found here.

Cheers,
Torben
kic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
kindlemap.net
kindlemap.net began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is that a SIM card receptacle in one of your photos?
kindlemap.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
kic

Hmm, what do you mean by "SIM card receptable"?

The one big part is the modem which needs access to a SIM card. So the combination of both I would call a SIM card receptable.

Or do you mean the part you can put the SIM card in? Yes, the yellow SIM card is normally covered by a metal cover which is open on my pics. You can see the metal on the bottom of the SIM card.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
kindlemap.net
kindlemap.net began at the beginning.

The 4th picture down on your site. I saw the contacts and thought that must be where a SIM card connects.

On another thread I was reading about a SIM and got to thinking being that the Ki uses AT&T and that is why there is a SIM. I thought I read somewhere that the earlier Kindles didn't use a SIM that is why I mentioned it. Or, maybe I thought I read somewhere...

Thanks again for posting the Pics.
kindlemap.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can compare with the Sprint version here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
kic

@kindlemap.net:

Yes, the 4th picture shows the front (chip) side of the SIM card itself. The international Kindle contains a SIM card - which was what interested me most, too.

Cheers,
Torben
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Somebody already tried changing the SIM card - didn't work. Put the original SIM card back in, and it worked.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
kic

Yes, I tried that, too. Did not work, probably because I would have needed to change the APN/user/password. Of course I did not know how to do this.

The Kindle-SIM did work in another mobile phone (no PIN required), but call/SMS reception and dialling a number/sending an SMS did not work either (3 tone signal).
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
kindlemx
kindlemx began at the beginning.

Kindle 2 Int. Latam/Caribbean

I'm from Mexico

This is my Kindle, as you can see, there is a SIM port and a SIM Card (yellow one, right to the modem.)

The modem is an Anydata DTP0600W

It may be possible to pull off the modem and SIM card and install them in a Mini PIC-e port in a laptop. I hadn't tried it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacking Kindle.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	41476  
kindlemx is offline   Reply With Quote