Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #17266
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Big Four" by Agatha Christie. Her 8th book, and the 5th featuring Hercule Poirot. Originally published in 1927.

Christie is best known for her crime fiction, but she also wrote many "thrillers", generally with wildly improbable plots featuring sinister international conspiracies and "master criminals". This book is (thankfully) her one and only attempt at inserting one of her regular detectives into such a thriller, and it just doesn't work.

The basic premise here is that a gang of four super-criminals (an inscrutable Chinese Mandarin, an American millionaire, a French scientist, and an assassin who is a master of disguise) - the "big four" of the title - are planning to take over the world (quite how is never made clear). Poirot, with his faithful sidekick Hasting (the narrator of the book) gets on their trail and sets out to foil their dastardly plans.

This is essentially a book of Poirot short stories with an extremely silly linking theme. An example, and a small spoiler:

Spoiler:

At one point Poirot and Hastings are captured by one of the Big Four. About to be killed, Poirot is given the standard "last request" and asks for a cigarette. Their captor takes a one at random from Poirot's own cigarette case and gives it to him, whereupon Poirot informs her that it is in fact not a cigarette but a blowpipe loaded with a deadly poisoned dart. Their captor instantly believes this, unties Poirot and Hastings, who make their escape. A little improbable?

I honestly cannot recommend this except to the Christie "completist". Thankfully she never did this again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #17267
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am wishing I had found the Honor Harrington books a long time ago. I really like these. I will work on book 8 soon, but I have a couple library books now, starting with Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.
Roadside Picnic would have been a great book club selection, hopefully Doomsday Book will be just as good. It kept me reading from the beginning with an interesting setting and conflicted protagonist, although I am not sure what to think of the ending.

John Rain book 4 - Redemption Games previously "Killing Rain" came in yesterday, so I will go straight to that this afternoon.

I really wish Overdrive would let me have more than 6 books on my hold list. I had to drop one to get the August book club selection on the list. Oh well, 3 of the 6 I have I am in position 3 or lower now.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #17268
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Lonely Planets by David Grinspoon and it was excellent non-fiction science!

Next up The Cuckoo's Calling by You Know Who
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #17269
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Cuckoo's Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
...Next up The Cuckoo's Calling by You Know Who
Ah yes by You Know Who or sometimes called "[S]he who must not be named"!!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #17270
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I finished Ocean at the End of the Lane, which was awesome. I am now reading Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown, an entertaining novel about a chef kidnapped by pirates.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #17271
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Roadside Picnic would have been a great book club selection, hopefully Doomsday Book will be just as good. It kept me reading from the beginning with an interesting setting and conflicted protagonist, although I am not sure what to think of the ending.
Yeah - I was hoping Roadside Picnic would win as well. But it's on my list for this year so I'll hopefully get to it at some stage.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #17272
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just started Christine by Stephen King.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #17273
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Trade Secret (eARC). The plan is to read the released version in Audible format.

Meanwhile, Finished March Upcountry, the first of the Prince Roger books (aka, Empire of Man series). Started March to the Sea, the second. Such fun!
Finished March to the Sea. A great read. Now a bit of a break with a book recommended by Nathan Lowell, Ships of My Father's. I have just started it, so no opinion yet.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #17274
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm really enjoying this. It kept me up until past 2am last night, and it's been a while since a book's done that.

It's also incredibly long! The PDF version is over 1600 pages long!
Augh..... Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is a work in progress!

I've really enjoyed it. I shall be following along as new chapters are released.

But beware! It's not finished yet. Indeed, we're not to the end of Harry's first year at Hogwarts yet.

Next up: Dark Fire by C J Sansom. Looking good.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #17275
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

I've really enjoyed it. I shall be following along as new chapters are released.

But beware! It's not finished yet. Indeed, we're not to the end of Harry's first year at Hogwarts yet.[...]
I took a look - I've only done six chapters so far, which is five more than I was thinking I would (or really had time for right now). I was expecting NOT to like it but have enjoyed myself despite that. Very clever. My wife described it as Harry Potter channeling Artemis Fowl. I will be following it too. Thanks for link!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #17276
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now, I'm turning my attention to Buddenbrooks. My library just sent me a notification that my copy is now available so I'm heading on in to pick it up. Then it's 700+ pages of century old German literature (thankfully in English), so that I can contribute to the monthly Literary Book Club discussion. This might take a while.
OK - finally finished this one. I enjoyed it, but it did feel long. Additionally, it's not only the first physical book I've read for a while, it was 730 pages and hardcover. That took some getting used to.

Anyway - I don't regret reading it at all, but I'm glad it's over now.

Next up is another indie novel, Head of Words by Chris Ward. I've previously read and reviewed a post-apocalyptic drama from this author (The Tube Riders) that I really enjoyed. However, this one is more of a contemporary drama. It starts by describing a small flat in Bristol shared by 13 people and a dog.

Seems like an excellent opening to me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #17277
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Argh... now you got me reading it...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #17278
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
John Rain book 4 - Redemption Games previously "Killing Rain" came in yesterday, so I will go straight to that this afternoon.
The John Rain books are getting better each time I think. I could hardly put this one down. The new title is definitely fitting and I can see why he has re-titled the books since getting the e-rights back.

Now I have dilemma, I checked out Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay which is the first book in the series that the Showtime series "Dexter" is based on. I have wanted to try them out for a while. But almost as soon as I did that, one of my other holds became available too - Forever Odd by Dean Koontz, book 2 of the Odd Thomas series.

I should have time to read both of them before they are due, but I didn't want to have to choose which is first! Probably the Dexter book, but I have a couple hours to decide.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #17279
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:

But beware! It's not finished yet. Indeed, we're not to the end of Harry's first year at Hogwarts yet.

Next up: Dark Fire by C J Sansom. Looking good.
Paul, what chapter are you up to? I believe it is up to Chapter 96 or 97.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #17280
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
The John Rain books are getting better each time I think. I could hardly put this one down. The new title is definitely fitting and I can see why he has re-titled the books since getting the e-rights back.

Now I have dilemma, I checked out Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay which is the first book in the series that the Showtime series "Dexter" is based on. I have wanted to try them out for a while. But almost as soon as I did that, one of my other holds became available too - Forever Odd by Dean Koontz, book 2 of the Odd Thomas series.

I should have time to read both of them before they are due, but I didn't want to have to choose which is first! Probably the Dexter book, but I have a couple hours to decide.
I've read all of both series, and for me Dexter is the better of the two. But give them both a go.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote