Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #256
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Check the Tyler Walmart. They have a good craft section.
The last time I was in Tyler, they had a big box shopping area. If I remember correctly, it is on the Lufkin Highway. Google Academy. The store.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #257
Aroth
Enthusiast
Aroth began at the beginning.

Device: KV (5.8.10)
Next time we head that direction I will take a look.
Aroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #258
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
@Aroth, I know I already sold you the usb one, but I just remembered this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=71367

Which links to

http://darron.typepad.com/not-nearly...dx-part-1.html

This guy put a bluetooth serial port in his kindle. I don't know if it is thin enough to fit in that empty space
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #259
Aroth
Enthusiast

It might be, but its more than I wanted to spend in the first place, plus I don't have a BT radio in my desktop anyways so it would end up being even MORE expensive after that.

Also, didn't he say it ends up slashing the battery life by more than half because the radio constantly drains power unless its actively connected to a device?

--------

So rough measurements give me ~2.6mm of space to store a connector in... which means the ONLY kind of connector that can fit are the ones in the first picture, which are apparently are in a permanent state of non-stock on Mouser, Digikey and similar sites. The second picture is cheap and easy to get, but the 5mm depth makes it impossible to fit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70400A_ISO.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	158381   Click image for larger version

Name:	2695a.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	158382  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #260
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I usually use one of those suppliers myself.

Search them for a 3-conductor ('stereo'), compact sub-miniature, SMD mount, plug and jack combination.
(Sorry - no part numbers on hand)
They are even thinner than the jim.sh/fx adapter.

I do have some (in parts storage - next door) and can find the part number of them for you if you can't find them on one of those distributor sites.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #261
Aroth
Enthusiast

Something like this? http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...J1-2535-SMT-TR
Old 08-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #262
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a dozen, with matching plugs (and I can find a $0.46 stamp if I had to).
Download the data sheet on those and check if the dimensions will work for you.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #263
Aroth
Enthusiast

Looks to be ~3.2mm thick, so just a hair over.

I'll probably grab a $15 IDT connector kit the next time im in dallas and use it.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #264
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought a pack of these, and they were incredibly tiny. I just measured then and they are 3mm x 5mm for the plug , and 3mm x 6 mm for the jack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUC1KEO

I did 3 pin, because I planned on powering the ftx with a battery, not the kindle.

I can measure the jack part when I get home too, to see it it would fit in the open area.

I decided against using them originally, because I was planning to solder them directly on top of the serial pad, facing up. but the amount of force required to unplug the cable was too much for the solder to handle. but if you have the corded part in the case, it may work.

Here is the spec for them: http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eSH.pdf

All of this type should be 3 mm x <something base don number of pins.>

Could you fit a flat flax cable inside, folded up, like these guys?

https://www.amazon.com/Waevshare-Ras.../dp/B01LY2V23F

Last edited by coplate; 08-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #265
Aroth
Enthusiast

Anything bigger than 2.6mm will likely cause issues with the back plate sliding back on. A IDT connector (sometimes called Dupont?) without any guides/locking clips SHOULD be ~2.55mm thick

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Could you fit a flat flax cable inside, folded up, like these guys?

https://www.amazon.com/Waevshare-Ras.../dp/B01LY2V23F
Yeah that would fit, but idk how I would connect the wires in it to the serial port pads without mangling the cable.

Like I said, I will probably just end up grabbing a IDT connector kit from Micro Center for $15 the next time I am in Dallas. Going for a VA appointment (grandpa getting his new teeth finally, i think) on the 31st so I won't have to wait too long. If nothing else I can order a 1x4 set of pins and a 1x4 IDT connector housing from Mouser, it will just be for AWG 24 wire instead of AWG 30. If I solder the wire to the pin it SHOULD hold well enough.

In other news, I had to go to Walmart for something and looked for acrylic ink or paint and graphite dust. The cheap gloss black paint was sold out (and screw paying $5+ for a bottle when I can get it for $1), and they did not have graphite dust or ink so . Can probably get them at Hobby Lobby the next time I am in Tyler or Longview so its not a big deal.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #266
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroth View Post
Anything bigger than 2.6mm will likely cause issues with the back plate sliding back on. A IDT connector (sometimes called Dupont?) without any guides/locking clips SHOULD be ~2.55mm thick

Yeah that would fit, but idk how I would connect the wires in it to the serial port pads without mangling the cable.

Like I said, I will probably just end up grabbing a IDT connector kit from Micro Center for $15 the next time I am in Dallas. Going for a VA appointment (grandpa getting his new teeth finally, i think) on the 31st so I won't have to wait too long. If nothing else I can order a 1x4 set of pins and a 1x4 IDT connector housing from Mouser, it will just be for AWG 24 wire instead of AWG 30. If I solder the wire to the pin it SHOULD hold well enough.

In other news, I had to go to Walmart for something and looked for acrylic ink or paint and graphite dust. The cheap gloss black paint was sold out (and screw paying $5+ for a bottle when I can get it for $1), and they did not have graphite dust or ink so . Can probably get them at Hobby Lobby the next time I am in Tyler or Longview so its not a big deal.
you talking about this kit, lol? Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811_184143.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	158392

This is the one I bought just for the header pins in it, because I like to be prepared with spare parts.

I get an actual measurement of 2.69 mm on my digital calipers on two pieces I tested.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811_184946.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	158393

Last edited by coplate; 08-11-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #267
Aroth
Enthusiast

Probably lol. Was that the $15 one at Micro Center?

If so, can you tell me if those stupid cables are solid or stranded, and roughly what gauge they are?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #268
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Probably lol. Was that the $15 one at Micro Center?

If so, can you tell me if those stupid cables are solid or stranded, and roughly what gauge they are?
it looks to be stranded, I dont know much about guage, but.. small. Im guessing about .3mm of strands, that puts it around 28 guage? that just eyballing it, the plastic sheathing is 1 mm total. I took a third of that for the core.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #269
Aroth
Enthusiast

Yeah stranded is weird, but that sounds like 28 gauge, maybe even 30. Too bad standed is such a pain to work with on small connections.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #270
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yeah stranded is weird, but that sounds like 28 gauge, maybe even 30. Too bad standed is such a pain to work with on small connections.
Don't look for it by size.
Easier if you look for it by purpose: Wire Wrap Wire.
As in:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1446
About $0.01/foot.

Or PM me an address and I'll mail you a chunk of about a half dozen different colors.

Last edited by knc1; 08-11-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Tags
serial jailbreak