Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 01:26 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question cannot download library books - ADE error #2038

Event Detail:
Error #2038
--- end ---

not sure if this is the right forum
ADE is suddenly glitching ( and google says I am not the only one)
so when I checkout a book, the ACSM downloads but then ADE buge out with that IO error
is a recent windows update to blame, or somethign to fdo with flash - my network connection is fine., all else is working
e.g.
Now You See Me...:
IO Error on Network Request.
Please check your network connection and try again.

Network Path:
https://acs.cdn.overdrive.com/ACSStore1/0111-1/458/8B5/D4/{4588B5D4-DD93-4595-AE6C-9CEAC7723DE9}Fmt410.epub

that is a valid URL - I can paste it into chrome and download the file, but then it's DRMd. maybe I can drag it into ADE but what's going on....

Already tried the googled suggestions: wiped the folder that ADE downloads to - no joy. nothing else has changed.
has anyone encountered this & worked out what it happening
if i drag the book, downloaded form that URL into ADE i get local error on file open - same error code.
also tried explicity adding ADE to firewall exceptions.

it;s looking like a delete- reinstall may have to be tried ? - well that failed also.
now its looking a bit desperate. start using a different PC, use a different ADE version ??

something is lingering - because I get one of more doeanlods failed/ pending. at ADE launch I probably need to find that data & clear it but dunno where it's been recorded.

Last edited by stumped; 12-17-2016 at 01:36 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you using ADE 1.7.x? Are you trying to download from OverDrive?

If so 1.7 no longer works with OverDrive, you'll want to go with 2.0.1 instead.

You can find more discussion about it in the big thread on the "new" OverDrive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes but 1.7 was working fine a week or so ago.
anyway i re-enabled flash in chrome , as I'd recenlty chenged the setting to ask every time.
no joy
did a more thorough remove of 1.7 with revo, reinstall - no joy
uninstalled again , installed 2.0 instead, told it to skip importing anything old . specifics: v2.067532.... is the installer I had saved from ages ago. I dont have a 2.01 to hand but this is newer ?
then tried an acsm and now I get licence server error

error getting license. :Licence server communication problem E STREAM ERROR

dunno if that's a new way of saying error #2038 or if adobe's servers are actually broken as at now - that could explain things ?

where is the "big thread" you mention please.

I did see that my library has moved on the new overdrive app as the layout has changed and my bookmarks were broke.
i get as far as checkout and the acsm files download OK- but that is all.

Last edited by stumped; 12-17-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:04 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard

update- found that thread, and
update. the 2.0.1 from here
http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...downloads.html

worked, but how long until that breaks also ?
do we yet know why the others broke but this one did not ?
i may as well delete saved copies of the other version installers ?

at least I can now read today's checkout books, without having to read them online in the overdrive app

thanks for pointing me in the right direction - panic was setting in
Old 12-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Do you have a link to that thread? I am having the same problem with ADE. It was working fine just a week or so ago. It's really annoying. They shouldn't break their own software to force people into upgrading when the old version worked perfectly fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
update- found that thread, and
update. the 2.0.1 from here
http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...downloads.html

worked, but how long until that breaks also ?
do we yet know why the others broke but this one did not ?
i may as well delete saved copies of the other version installers ?

at least I can now read today's checkout books, without having to read them online in the overdrive app

thanks for pointing me in the right direction - panic was setting in
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266837
Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloude View Post
Do you have a link to that thread? I am having the same problem with ADE. It was working fine just a week or so ago. It's really annoying. They shouldn't break their own software to force people into upgrading when the old version worked perfectly fine!
it is worse than that- if you upgrade beyond 2.01 e.g. I had 2.06, that version is also broken.

I worry that it is a total fluke that one version only - 2.01 - still works when those that came before AND after do not
I dunno about ade v3 & don't plan to be a guinea pig

has anyone been able to get an explanation of this fiasco from Adobe or Overdrive - as to why they between them broke library book checkouts, because their softwares stopped playing nice with each other. or are they both blaming Windows ???
Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it is worse than that- if you upgrade beyond 2.01 e.g. I had 2.06, that version is also broken.

I worry that it is a total fluke that one version only - 2.01 - still works when those that came before AND after do not
2.0.1.78765 is the latest/last 2.xx version of ADE. You were likely running 2.0.67532 before that which is older.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Latest ADE 4.5 works for me with these steps

Same problem here on one of three Windows 10 computers (no problems on the other 2...) Here's what worked for me.

De-authorize Adobe Digital Editions from the Help command (if not possible, see later. I got an error on this step. Go ahead with the next step anyway)
Uninstall ADE from Control Panel - Programs & Features
Reboot computer
Download and install the latest ADE 4.5 from the official link
http://www.adobe.com/ca/solutions/eb.../download.html

Re-authorize computer

If unable to remove old authorization, or re-authorize, follow these steps from this very helpful link
http://learnbyblogging.com/adobe-dig...ow-i-fixed-it/

1. Quit Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Choose Start > Search for regedit (On Windows 10: it’s in c:\Windows directory)
3. Right click on regedit, ans select “Run as administrator”
4.In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept
5. Select “Adept” , right click on it and select “Delete”
6. In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.
7. Close the Registry Editor.
8. Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize (Help->Authorize Computer…).

And Voila! It worked. I can download epubs again.

Note: I also had to update my version of Overdrive to work for audiobooks.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Yes, 3.xx & 4.xx versions should work fine. It's just that most avoid them due to their compatibility with the newer "hardened" DRM they're compatible with (although I don't know if anyone is actually using it).
Old 12-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
2.0.1.78765 is the latest/last 2.xx version of ADE. You were likely running 2.0.67532 before that which is older.
i only have a 2nd class honours degree in maths but I am convinced that 2.067532 > 2.0187657

what a silly version numbering system.

the question remains as to why only that version works
Old 12-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

It's .01.87657 (2.0.1) vs .0.67532 (2.0.0)

I'd guess it works on that version because it's the latest 2.xx version. I guess we're just lucky it works with that version (for now anyway) and didn't have to upgrade to 3.xx or 4.xx
Old 12-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

yes, I did see the extra . in your post. so just trolling
but being serious now. what exactly broke? When i tried to puzzle it out with 1.72, the error message said network errorand quoted a URL , but that worked fine and downloaded an encrypted book, when i pasted that url into chrome. so its not really a " network error " ....
which suggests that the new overdrive software which my library has switched to is not to blame either. all overdrive has to do is deliver a licence file to the client device ?
So is it some change at Adobe servers which means they will no longer accept licence verify requests from the older ADE versions , and then the old ADE gives a confusing error code & description ?
or is ithe bug actually triggered when a library switches over to the new version of Overdrive, which mine recently did. I Only have the one library membership so I can't test that.

as I understand it - & could be wrong, what ade has to do it get the book details from the acsm file, combine that somehow with my adobe ID from my registry and thus call for an encrypted copy of that book to be downloaded, that decrypts only for that ID ?

DO the library servers get to see what version of ADE I have - or does the checkout process simply create a licence to borrow...

Last edited by stumped; 12-22-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I think OD must have updated their Adobe Content Server and that whatever version their using now must break something in some of the really old ADE versions. This same thing happened with Google Play a while back IIRC.