Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
rocklarh
rocklarh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Impact of DRM removal

My library has a system which does not allow reading of e-books by Kindle PaperWhite. If I tried to use Calibre to change the format to Mobi, it won't let me because of DRM issues. If I use a DRM removal tool, I can then convert and read it on my Kindle. Does the DRM removal do anything to how the book will be removed from my Kindle?
Old 04-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Asking about de-DRMing library books is not allowed.
Also there is no system for that because you do not own the books.
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklarh View Post
My library has a system which does not allow reading of e-books by Kindle PaperWhite. If I tried to use Calibre to change the format to Mobi, it won't let me because of DRM issues. If I use a DRM removal tool, I can then convert and read it on my Kindle. Does the DRM removal do anything to how the book will be removed from my Kindle?
You would be best to get a Reader that reads ePub using RMDSK (ADE) so you can read the ePub from your library as is. Kindles are not good for library use outside the USA.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The DRM is the thing that sets the expiration date of the e-book. Without DRM, the e-book will not expire at all, so will not be removed from your Kindle. (Which is why I'm honestly surprised publishers don't make more of a fuss about granting e-book access to libraries, given how easy it is to crack and keep library e-books without paying for them.)

I agree with JSWolf that it would be best to find some other solution for reading library e-books, such as an e-reader that supports EPUB with DRM, or a phone or tablet running an application. Perhaps your local librarian can recommend a suitable device for you. As it stands, you're not going to be able to read those e-books on your Kindle without breaking the law.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Folks here pretty much have answered this question. The DRM on library books is what makes them available for lending, and unfortunately it's also what locks out many Kindle users. That being said, the bottom line is that the book is not the property of the borrower, and as such our members are not allowed to help with breaking that DRM.

Advert
Closed Thread

Tags
drm removal, kindle