Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2022, 11:12 PM   #1
ccrow
ccrow began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
How to update a PW4 to a newer version and keep jailbreak?

Hello,

I haven't been on this forum since 2020 when I jailbroke my PW4 running FW 5.10.1.3. I was wanting to find out if there is a safe(ish?) way to get my kindle on a newer firmware version and what the process would be. I looked around in the guides and could not find an updating process? Some sections say something about a hotfix surviving an update but I have no clue if a jailbreak from 2 years ago would still be able to survive. Any help would be appreciated and let me know if you have any questions or if I have missed something.

Thanks,
C
ccrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #2
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Doesn't matter what you used to jailbreak- installing the jailbreak hotfix (and updating KUAL while you are at it) should let it be preserved. You will have to reinstall anything that came in a .BIN file, though. Also, make sure you have MRPI installed as it is necessary.

After updating, you have to use the command ";log mrpi" in the search bar to reinstall KUAL and other .BIN files. Remember to place them inside of the "mrpackages" folder.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #3
ccrow

Thanks for your help. I was able to get all that working on the latest update. One problem I am running into though is I do not have the setting for showing book covers as the screen saver that is supposed to be in these updates. I was using the screen saver hack but many of my books don't work with that, while the same books do work on my friends stock kindle. How do I get this setting to appear?
Old 09-12-2022, 11:00 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrow View Post
Thanks for your help. I was able to get all that working on the latest update. One problem I am running into though is I do not have the setting for showing book covers as the screen saver that is supposed to be in these updates. I was using the screen saver hack but many of my books don't work with that, while the same books do work on my friends stock kindle. How do I get this setting to appear?
Which firmware did you load? I loaded 5.14.2 on a KT4 and the option for cover mode appeared in the settings after I registered the KT4 to my account. Don't go any higher than this firmware and take measures to ensure it is not updated automatically as this is the last version that can be customized at present.

Dave.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
ccrow

I got the latest firmware 5.14.3.0.1 and I still have jailbreak and it is currently in airplane mode so it shouldn't be able to upgrade itself if a newer version comes out. Should I downgrade to 5.14.2 and will that enable the option for showing the book cover?
Old 09-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got the latest firmware 5.14.3.0.1 and I still have jailbreak and it is currently in airplane mode so it shouldn't be able to upgrade itself if a newer version comes out. Should I downgrade to 5.14.2 and will that enable the option for showing the book cover?
I believe you need to register in order for them to update the settings page to add the cover mode option so you can enable it. This will require you to go online with exposure to update possibilities.

Did you install the OTA rename extension and have you made use of it? If so an automated update is supposed to be blocked.

I also seem to recall another thread where someone documented how to add the setting manually, but I chose simply to use the OTA rename and register.

If you are registered I guess it is possible the firmware beyond 5.14.2 broke something. In that case downgrading to 5.14.2 might make a difference.

Dave
Old 09-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #7
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
I do not have the setting for showing book covers as the screen saver that is supposed to be in these updates.
Yeah, that is a problem a bunch of people have had (with and without jailbreaking. Only a few known solutions, one of which is downgrading temporarily.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
ccrow

My kindle is already registered. I will try downgrading to 5.14.2 to see if that helps.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:05 PM   #9
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
My kindle is already registered. I will try downgrading to 5.14.2 to see if that helps.
I hope that does the trick for you, if not, I found the post on how to do this yourself:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=3

Tags
pw4, pw4 jailbreak, update