Notices

Old 04-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
repilo
Enthusiast
repilo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sigil 1.5.1 too slow in my computer

Hello.
The new version 1.5.1 runs very slow on my computer (Windows 10 Home, Intel i5-3210M, 2.50 GHz, 6 GB RAM). It shows the changes with a lot of delay in the WYSIWYG panel. I am back to 1.4.3, which works fine for me.
Please can you tell me if there is something wrong with my computer or it is just too old?

Thanks.
repilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Assuming this is with the exact same epub, nothing much related to speed has really changed between those two versions. And in fact 1.5.1 is, if anything, just a bit faster.

My guess is you have a anti-virus program that is set to scan every file created in tmp and it sees Sigil-1.4.3 as safe and Sigil-1.5.1 as unsafe and is scanning every file is opens or tries to load which hugely slows down Sigil.

If there is some way of telling your anti-virus program that Sigil-1.5.1 is safe and should be left alone, you could try that.

Better yet, as a test disconnect your computer from the internet briefly and reboot with any added anti-virus disabled, and the do the speed test. You should see that for the exact same epub, Sigil-1.5.1 is slightly faster.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-07-2021 at 02:30 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps other Windows 10 users can say whether they are seeing or have seen anything similar. That said, no one else has complained about a big slowdown from 1.4.3 to 1.5.1 on Windows.

On macOS, actual large single file opening timings show Sigil-1.5.1 is a bit faster at loading xhtml that really should be split into separate chapter files.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
repilo
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answers. The antivirus is the default Windows antivirus. I think I have solved the problem by changing the power plan to "Balanced (recomended)". But I still don't understand why this was not needed with Sigil 1.4.3.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by repilo View Post
I think I have solved the problem by changing the power plan to "Balanced (recomended)".
Curious: What was the 'power plan' before you changed it to "Balanced (recommended)".

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Forgive me, but what is a "power plan" and how or why is it slowing down one version of Sigil (1.5.1) but not another (1.4.3) when they use the exact same Qt and python libraries.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Makes no sense to me. Same Qt, same Python in both versions. Built with the same Visual Studio and the same build environment.

I can't detect any real speed differences between 1.4.3 and 1.5.1 on my i3 2.4Ghz Inspiron with 8Gb of ram. First load of Sigil after a reboot is a bit lengthy for both, but subsequent launches are tolerable.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-07-2021 at 07:12 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Forgive me, but what is a "power plan" [...]
Windows has these:
  • Balanced (Recommended)
  • High Performance
  • Power Saver

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

These control basics like:
  • Screen brightness
  • Turning screen off after X minutes
  • Putting device to sleep after X minutes
  • Turning off USB/hard-drives after X minutes idle time

to more advanced things like:
  • Throttling CPU
  • Disabling/Enabling "Turbo"/Boost mode
  • Enabling/Disabling ACPI power states
  • More aggressive hibernation

For example, laptops might come by default with "Power Saver" mode to save battery. When plugged in, they'll switch to "Balanced" or "High Performance".

Side Note: Can read a bit more technical stuff in the documentation here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...wer-management
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...olicy-settings
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...leeping-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Curious: What was the 'power plan' before you changed it to "Balanced (recommended)".
If it's a laptop, most likely "Power Saver".

Quote:
how or why is it slowing down one version of Sigil (1.5.1) but not another (1.4.3) when they use the exact same Qt and python libraries.
No idea... very strange.

Usually it happens in CPU-intensive things (like games or benchmarks). When the CPU is overheating, the laptop would throttle the CPU.

But as you guys have explained, nothing of real difference between those 2 versions...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-07-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:59 AM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Perhaps other Windows 10 users can say whether they are seeing or have seen anything similar. That said, no one else has complained about a big slowdown from 1.4.3 to 1.5.1 on Windows.

On macOS, actual large single file opening timings show Sigil-1.5.1 is a bit faster at loading xhtml that really should be split into separate chapter files.
I am using Sigil on a Windows 10 machine (Intel i7 processor with 8gb RAM) and I have not noticed any perceptible difference in speed between 1.4.3 and 1.5.1.

If the OP's computer is a desktop machine I can't see why a power plan would have the slightest effect on the performance of Sigil. Looking in the advanced power settings there appears to be nothing that would have any impact on performance.

As Tex2002ans said it mostly relates to how the computer goes sleep after a set time of inaction, and what happens when you press various buttons.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #10
repilo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
The previous "power plan" was "Samsung opotimized mode". It's a Samsung NP300E laptop that is a few years old.
In general it is a bit slow (it is old), but now it works better and I can use Sigil 1.5.1.
Before, the problem occurred only with the WYSIWYG panel open. When I modified a class, this panel would freeze blank for about 5 seconds before reflecting the change.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No doubt exacerbated by working on epubs that have a single, quite-large, html file which perhaps contains many inline images? That, and a noisy debug build of Sigil (with the debug logfile configured/enabled) are the two most common things that will cause a considerable slowdown in Sigil's Preview load/refresh times.

But the exact same epub should still load/refresh in the same time using Sigil 1.5.1 as it does with Sigil 1.4.3 regardless of any power-management settings.

That doesn't mean there's not some specific (and as yet undetermined) set of circumstances that can cause a severe slowdown of Sigil (in any recent Sigil version) on Windows: graphics hardware/drivers, specific versions of Windows 10 and/or Defender definitions, security settings, other programs running, Qt-specific environment variables set at the session-level to support other Qt-based applications, time since last reboot, etc...

There's been too many reports of severe slowdowns on Windows 10 (with newer/beefier hardware than the aging laptop I use for testing) reported for me to dismiss them outright. I just know that it's not recent code-changes to Sigil that's the culprit.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by repilo View Post
The previous "power plan" was "Samsung opotimized mode". It's a Samsung NP300E laptop that is a few years old.
In general it is a bit slow (it is old), but now it works better and I can use Sigil 1.5.1.
Before, the problem occurred only with the WYSIWYG panel open. When I modified a class, this panel would freeze blank for about 5 seconds before reflecting the change.
I assume you mean the Preview panel - that might give the Sigil aficionados a clue.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If the slowdown is due to the Preview panel being open, then you are trying to load a much much too large xhtml file.

It is impossible for a browser to render just part of an html file. It literally has to grok the entire file to determine the proper layout and sizing of all of the elements. If you try and keep the entire book as one huge xhtml file, the browser literally has to re-layout the *entire* book for each and every small change.

Using Sigil's split-at-marker (after using find and replace to insert them properly) you should split your large xhtml file into separate files, one for each chapter. That is the recommended format for epubs which have to work on large range of devices, browsers, and e-readers.

This also speeds up Sigil immensely as having to relayout an entire books's worth of xhtml for every minor change is just plain silly.

Whoever recommends people to use one large xhtml file is really off the mark and does not understand anything about how technology or browsers really work.

Even Kindle's split the text internally into sections of about 6000 chars or under and tries to show each section independently (as did the old mobi format as well). This was done for speed of loading and compatibility across devices.

I have no idea how the newer KFX format handles a large single file but my guess is they are splitting and rendering it in sections or even pages dynamically and not trying to render the entire book at once.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-08-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil preview gets real boggy with large (monolithic -body content file: ~400K>)

IMHO there in NO reason you need to work that way with Sigil.

S&R can find & replace over the group of files (or a single)
(open) Tabs allow cut and paste moves between sections
Split and Join takes care of section boundary issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

There's been some people mention workflows where they prefer to do certain things with one single file, but their explanations still didn't make much sense to me. I'm not discounting their procedure, I've just never heard anything that would convince me to do it that way. Getting it in bite-sized chunks is step the first whenever I encounter epubs with monolithic html files.