Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Couple Qs about ARES devices

Just wondering what the track record is for this model?

I know people report the Sun Spot effect if outside in direct sun.

I just read about issues with the KOBO APP ? is that still a thing (because most of my books are from Kobo)

There's been complaints about the Mars touch screen just dying, but how is the Ares?

I read that Ares had "crashing" issues, and "Battery Drain" issues but may have been fixed with the Android 8.1 update. Is battery an issue? (especially compared to Kobo?)

Really thinking about getting an Ares as my go-to eReader and Hand-written note taking (not going with an Alita word processing set up any more).

So:
  • Any Common and/or Known Issues/Bugs/Warnings about the Ares specifically?
    (crashes, kobo app, quicker battery drain)
  • Can anyone list the Width & Height of Just the Viewing Screen?
  • How is the battery compared to say a Kobo ?

Thanks again
Appreciate the steer away from word processing in my other posts.

Last edited by jgbout; 03-13-2021 at 09:22 PM.
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
I just read about issues with the KOBO APP ? is that still a thing (because most of my books are from Kobo)
I don't have any issues with the Kobo app.
I only tested it briefly - I don't have any Kobo books.
Quote:
There's been complaints about the Mars touch screen just dying, but how is the Ares?
This is due to the 7.8 inch EInk screen; Some Kobo Aura One also have the same problems - it changes color from the edge.
Quote:
I read that Ares had "crashing" issues, and "Battery Drain" issues but may have been fixed with the Android 8.1 update. Is battery an issue? (especially compared to Kobo?)
My Ares is quite power hungry - compared to my other devices, even in sleep mode.
I don't care about my Kobos, they can't do enough for me - they're turned off in a cellar shelf.
Quote:
[*]Can anyone list the Width & Height of Just the Viewing Screen?
7.8/5*3, 7.8/5*4.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Well, the battery is rather off-putting if one of the main e-ink features is problematic...
With a kobo you can read for weeks before charging. I was worried when I heard reports of 30-40% faster battery drain with the Ares. Though this was supposed to be fixed with the power save features in the 8.1 update. Drat....

As much as I was loving the reviews of the Ares, This will have me rethink. And I wont pay the extra for a Boox Nova.

And the 7.8" screens dying... you say its a screen type issue, so definitely a known hardware problem... nothing has fixed this? it' a take your chances deal? (they could fault any time?)

7.8/5*3, 7.8/5*4 ???

Last edited by jgbout; 03-14-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:26 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, the battery is rather off-putting if one of the main e-ink features is problematic...
With a kobo you can read for weeks before charging. I was worried when I heard reports of 30-40% faster battery drain with the Ares. Though this was supposed to be fixed with the power save features in the 8.1 update. Drat....
Do you have no sockets at home that you have to worry about?
Quote:
And the 7.8" screens dying... you say its a screen type issue, so definitely a known hardware problem... nothing has fixed this? it' a take your chances deal? (they could fault any time?)
These errors have only recently appeared and been noticed - why should anything have changed?
You don't know the causes either.
Quote:
7.8/5*3, 7.8/5*4 ???
Do the math: the diagonal is 7.8 inches - so the width is diagonal / 5 * 3 and the height is diagonal / 5 * 4.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-14-2021 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:31 AM   #5
jgbout
Groupie

Mate, I didn't know you were messaging me a freakin equation ! hahaaa.
Sometimes the W and H are off skew, little more to W or more to H. I'm trying to compare actual screen sizes is all.
And...no....I dont know the causes of the issues, thus my posting asking folks. How else do I find out?

You seem to be offended or something. I'm just someone new to these devices and see a few common issue help posts and so im asking if there's a general concensus on any of it. I read the 8.1 update was to address some of it, but still saw a few posts, so I asked.

No worries, I'll try to check around elsewhere.

Thanks
Advert
Old 03-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Sometimes the W and H are off skew, little more to W or more to H.
Not at EInk - the EInk Reader screen ratios are:
Height = 4/5 from the diagonal
Width = 3/5 from the diagonal
You don't need to ask.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-14-2021 at 03:32 AM.