Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #31
moorekom
Enthusiast
moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, KA1, Kobo Forma, Onyx Note pro.
Confirming that Note pro also received the update. I am connected to the US server.
moorekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #32
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorekom View Post
Confirming that Note pro also received the update. I am connected to the US server.
Yes, I just updated my Note Pro. Took a good long while to update and seemed to stall partway through when it was "optimizing" 4/16. But plugging it into a wall charger seemed to spur it on.

Before I started the update, my battery was at 96%. After the update was completed, it was at 48%. So make sure that you have a full charge or a power source nearby before you begin.

Now I will have to see how it functions compared to my Nova 3 Color.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #33
moorekom
Enthusiast
moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.moorekom is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Yes, I just updated my Note Pro. Took a good long while to update and seemed to stall partway through when it was "optimizing" 4/16. But plugging it into a wall charger seemed to spur it on.

Before I started the update, my battery was at 96%. After the update was completed, it was at 48%. So make sure that you have a full charge or a power source nearby before you begin.

Now I will have to see how it functions compared to my Nova 3 Color.
Can confirm the time taken for "optimizing". But, my battery did not go down as much. It went from 68% to about 50%.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:04 AM   #34
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can confirm the time taken for "optimizing". But, my battery did not go down as much. It went from 68% to about 50%.
Unfortunately, I think it may be the battery on my Note Pro. The charge has been dropping quite precipitously over the course of the day even though it has mainly been sleeping and the wifi is off.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #35
moorekom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think it may be the battery on my Note Pro. The charge has been dropping quite precipitously over the course of the day even though it has mainly been sleeping and the wifi is off.
I've had to replace the battery in my Note pro so I feel you. If it's still under warranty, send it to Boox. If not, I've seen batteries for Note pro in Aliexpress for about $20.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #36
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I've had to replace the battery in my Note pro so I feel you. If it's still under warranty, send it to Boox. If not, I've seen batteries for Note pro in Aliexpress for about $20.
Thanks for the info. Out of warranty so I'll eventually have to look for a battery and attempt the replacement myself. Hopefully, I'll get a bit more use of my current battery before that becomes necessary. Wish they made replacing batteries a little easier because, other than that, it is working fine. A lovely device.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #37
moorekom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Out of warranty so I'll eventually have to look for a battery and attempt the replacement myself. Hopefully, I'll get a bit more use of my current battery before that becomes necessary. Wish they made replacing batteries a little easier because, other than that, it is working fine. A lovely device.
I believe you can send it to Boox's service center to get it replaced even if it is not under warranty. It could be a bit costlier and I believe you need to pay about $20 and shipping. The battery from Alixpress will also cost around $20. If you are in the US, this might be a better way to get it done than to do it yourself, if you are not savvy with soldering. I am not sure what options exist for other places. I have seen videos in youtube that describe what batteries to get and how to do it for Note pro. If you want to check the options available for your location, you should contact boox support via their help.boox.com site and go from there.

I agree that Onyx devices are very good for what they are. They are excellent for pdf reading and annotating on them, which is my primary use case. I do not use them for anything tablet related, since my impression is that they are poor at that. That said, I do wish they made it easier to remove and replace the battery for normies. I miss the days where you can just pop the back off of a cell phone and replace the battery yourself. This has been a key reason why I did not get a Note Air. While the build quality is very good and attractive, I can see that there is no way to replace the battery if it ever decays. Note Air is a clear example of where the industry is heading: great build quality at the expense of user-friendly reparability. It is a shame.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #38
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I believe you can send it to Boox's service center to get it replaced even if it is not under warranty. It could be a bit costlier and I believe you need to pay about $20 and shipping. The battery from Alixpress will also cost around $20. If you are in the US, this might be a better way to get it done than to do it yourself, if you are not savvy with soldering. I am not sure what options exist for other places. I have seen videos in youtube that describe what batteries to get and how to do it for Note pro. If you want to check the options available for your location, you should contact boox support via their help.boox.com site and go from there.
Thanks for the advice. Will keep it in mind when the day comes. Hopefully, they have some service repair centre in Canada where I am as I think it would probably be too expensive to pay for shipping to and then from the US.

However, if worst comes to worst, I'll attempt the manoeuvre myself. I have done it once before with a very cheap tablet when the battery died just out of warranty. Slightly damaged the screen in the process, but it was still functional... and, at least, now I know not to try and pry the battery loose with a screwdriver!!
Old 04-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
Hopefully, they have some service repair centre in Canada
Ask help@boox.com
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #40
moorekom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Will keep it in mind when the day comes. Hopefully, they have some service repair centre in Canada where I am as I think it would probably be too expensive to pay for shipping to and then from the US.

However, if worst comes to worst, I'll attempt the manoeuvre myself. I have done it once before with a very cheap tablet when the battery died just out of warranty. Slightly damaged the screen in the process, but it was still functional... and, at least, now I know not to try and pry the battery loose with a screwdriver!!
You're welcome. To my knowledge, I don't think they have one in Canada but Boox support will be the best source on that. I believe there is almost no way to open up the Note pro case without developing some small cracks in the corners of the plastic casing, but apart from that I think you should be fine if you follow the videos in youtube.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #41
masp
Enthusiast
masp began at the beginning.

Device: ipad air
I understand that firmware 3.1 was a bit buggy when it was first released, and Boox were working on patches; does anyone know if this (US) 3.1 update for older devices is fully patched? Or are there still any major bug-fixes in progress? (I have a Nova Pro.). Thanks!

Last edited by masp; 04-26-2021 at 12:42 PM.
masp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #42
Markismus
Guru
Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: HiSenseA5ProCC, OnyxNotePro, lots of cracked Kobo's
I've installed the 3.1 firmware on my Note Pro last Saturday, iirc. Haven't ran into bugs, but than again, haven't ran into bugs on the 3.0, too. So for me, it mostly seem new/upgraded features.
Dictionary is still too slow, though.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #43
masp
Enthusiast

Thanks! Update: I did install it (3.1) on my Nova Pro: seems to work fine, although I don't use any special features (eg. navigation ball), just read books. One odd thing though: the first time I put the device to sleep (via the home button), then woke it again, the backlight didn't come on again: I had to bring up the backlight intensity slider and change it to get the light to come on again. Minor inconvenience and hasn't happened again though.

Last edited by masp; 04-30-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #44
Markismus
Guru
Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.Markismus is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: HiSenseA5ProCC, OnyxNotePro, lots of cracked Kobo's
@masp I usually enable/disable the frontlight with a long press on the home button. I use the top button of my Note Pro for suspend/wake. How many buttons does the Nova have?

Would anyone be so kind to post when update 3.1 for the Android 9 version firmware of the Note Pro arrives? I really would like to move to Android 9 and take the notes with me.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #45
masp
Enthusiast

@Markismus nova pro has 2 buttons (front + top). didn't know about the long press; thanks! I'm also interested in the android 9 upgrade (with 3.1).