Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #91
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
With another TV, which supports CEC on the HDMI port, pushing the ‘TV’ button (or whatever it is called) on the Apple remote would wake up the TV as well. But our current TV doesn’t support CEC. I assume the new remote will use IR signal to do this (it will be interesting to see how it figures out the right signal — I think it can get a model identifier from HDMI and map that to the correct code?). Well, it’s going to be mid-May before I have it in hand.
The last few devices I’ve bought have come preprogrammed with most of the codes for TVs, at least the more popular brands. I’ve rarely had to manually enter a code. Quite often during set up you get asked what brand of TV you have. It probably uses that information to automatically cycle through the codes preprogrammed into it for that brand to find the one that works. Whether the ATV remote will do that I don’t know, but both my Fire TV Cube and Roku did that. Unfortunately, setting up my Inteset multi-device remote didn’t do that and I had to manually enter the codes until I found one that worked for every device.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #92
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's also being reported that the OS for the various devices will be updated next week and one of the things in there is a tightening of the app security for signing and privacy. I suspect that is why Marvin got updated by Apple. I normally update right off the bat, but I might wait a bit on my iMac. I want to make sure that my Drobo still works.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #93
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I upgraded my MacBook Pro 2014 to Mojave 10.14.6 about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It was mostly another security update. Unfortunately it rendered Safari into a super slow browser. I estimate Safari is about 1/4 as fast as it was before the update. Everything else seems okay though. I prefer Safari over the 3rd party options like Chrome and FireFox. But I might have to switch to FireFox if Apple doesn't correct whatever stupid thing they did to break Safari. No way I’ll use Chrome. I’m sure Google has enough of my personal data already! I prefer Safari because it is so seamless using it across my MacBook Pro, iPhone XR, and two iPads. I know FireFox can sink too, but I don't really trust using any 3rd party browser and thus sharing my bookmarks and surfing history with them. I know websites get a lot of my data through tracking me even in Safari, but I just feel better about Apple than I do FireFox, and I don't trust Google at all.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #94
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Here is an interesting MacRumors article on the new AirTags, "Apple Executive Says AirTags Designed to Track Items, Not Children or Pets".

Quote:
When I asked Drance about parents using AirTags to track their small children (such as during an outing at an amusement park) or pets (we know you’re up to something shady, Fluffy) she was quick to stress that the company designed the AirTag to track items, not people or pets. If parents would like to safely track their young children, she suggests an Apple Watch with Family Setup might be a better choice.
Apple would prefer you pay them way more money for an Apple Watch to track your kid rather than use an AirTag.

Quote:
If you are concerned that there’s a risk of your being tracked you could contact law enforcement,” Drance notes. “What the [AirTag’s] serial number is used for is when you first set up your AirTag it is paired with an Apple ID along with some additional information such as your name, your email address, your date of birth, and things like that, which [Apple] could provide to law enforcement if asked for, with the proper warrants and process.
This is good. If someone uses an AirTag for shady business, it is possible to identify them, assuming Apple will release the information. Or of course you could just use a hammer and send it to an early AirTag grave!

Personally, I just don't see the great allure to AirTags. If they cost $5 or less then maybe, but $29 seems rather steep. There are already alternatives hitting the market if you want to track items within your home. If you want to find the item you left on the cross town bus, then good luck using an AirTag. I really don't think they will be that effective in tracking items far away from your home. And if someone finds your item, they can easily throw away the AirTag or smash it, rendering it useless. Hopefully they would instead try to get the item back to you, but that probably won’t happen.

ETA: Having said all that, I’m sure many will like the AirTags and Apple will likely sell millions of them, at least until people begin to see their limitations. Looking through the forums on various sites it is obvious there is much confusion on them. So it might be difficult for Apple to maintain the early excitement over an extended period of time, especially as competition ramps up.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-22-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #95
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
AFAICT, the competition is Tile, and Tile is complaining loudly, because while Find My can be leveraged by 3rd parties on Apple platform, their solution is cross platform and relies on their own apps and infrastructure (I assume their trackers cannot integrate with both? Why not?). They are claiming ‘monopoly’. Both will be testifying to Congressional committee so we’ll see how the arguments sort out.

Also AirTag/Find My relies on billions of distributed iPhones being able to sense the tracker. Tile can only tell you where it was last time your phone ‘saw’ it. Apple’s solution is obviously more capable, assuming you trust that ‘it has been designed to protect your privacy from the ground up’. For that capability, people should be willing to pay more.

The use case is someone steals your wallet or purse. Wouldn’t you want a shot at recovering it and possibly helping to apprehend the thief?

Last edited by tomsem; 04-22-2021 at 03:04 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #96
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

The use case is someone steals your wallet or purse. Wouldn’t you want a shot at recovering it and possibly helping to apprehend the thief?
I'm not sure that is a use case? Let's say they steal my purse. My phone is in my purse. So I go to my computer to log into Find My. But 2-step authentication sends a code to my phone: I'm stuck?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #97
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure that is a use case? Let's say they steal my purse. My phone is in my purse. So I go to my computer to log into Find My. But 2-step authentication sends a code to my phone: I'm stuck?
...and this is my objection to 2 factor authentication that involves a phone. Lose your phone, lose your access. Whenever possible, I set up the 2 factor to use my email for this very reason.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #98
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There’s a way to do it, or the feature would be worthless. I don’t happen to know the details about that.

I was envisioning an AirTag in the purse, and tracking the iPhone is already handled by Find My.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #99
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I don’t think this would work for a wallet. They are kind of thick since they contain a watch battery.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #100
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
There’s a way to do it, or the feature would be worthless. I don’t happen to know the details about that.

I was envisioning an AirTag in the purse, and tracking the iPhone is already handled by Find My.
I would think so also, I still have my doubts.

Take a look at this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251627201

Quote:
Can Apple Support help me regain access to my account?

Apple Support can answer your questions about the account recovery process, but can't verify your identity or expedite the process in any way.
This is from memory... I tried iCould on my PC through a browser in the past. I was able to log in with 2-step and use Find My. I was able to login with 2-step a few days later. A while later, 2 step was needed again (I had picked trust this computer previously). I believe an update was downloaded for the browser that reset something.

I just tried it now. I did the 2-step, and was able to log in and out several times. Deleted my cookies and cache, had to do another 2-step verification.

So how would it work now Tomsem? Let's assume you are on vacation. Your a single person. Your purse with your iPhone gets stolen. Let's assume your iPad is also in your purse, since you like to read on it. You go to the police. You tell them, let me use your computer so I can use Find My. Won't work. So what do you do, call your trusted neighbor, tell them where the keys are or give them the security code to the door, and have them log into your computer/tablet. Not to mention that you had better make sure that you had previously setup iCloud on your browser if you don't have an iThingie at home.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and tell me how).

I do have a couple of iThings, so I'm probably fine. Maybe people with a single iThingie isn't their target market. Or maybe they will relax their security.

I don't mean to be negative. It could be a very nice device, especially with Apple's infrastructure. If you have a vehicle that is a target for thieves, drop one in trunk, no monthly fees like Lojack.

I have a Tile on my car keys, and I would hope that AirTags work better.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #101
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Here is another kick in the backside, the new iPad Pro 12.9" 2021 will not work with the older model's 2020 12.9" Magic Keyboard case because it is 0.5mm thicker than the older model and thus the case won't close properly. So if you have the older 2020 Magic Keyboard and was thinking it would work, it won't. You will need to shell out another $350 for the 2021 Magic Keyboard.

Apparently the 2021 iPad Pro 11" is compatible with the 2020 11" Magic Keyboard though.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #102
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

It appears the the new ATV 4K Siri remote lacks an accelerometer and gyroscope, so it probably won't function as a gaming controller like the current model does. If you are not into the arcade gaming, then no big deal.

I'm not into arcade games, but I assume those who are probably have a gaming controller accessory they use. If so this might not be a big deal to them either.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-23-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #103
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The Tiles use a feature of Bluetooth to get the signal and location back to the owning person. It can use a iPhone or any other phone to piggy back the signal. However the power is low and it will not work inside a trunk or other potential blockage. I suspect the Apple works similarly. See Bluetooth#Beacon in our wiki.

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-23-2021 at 12:40 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #104
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The Tiles use a feature of Bluetooth to get the signal and location back to the owning person. It can use a iPhone or any other phone to piggy back the signal. However the power is low and it will not work inside a trunk or other potential blockage. I suspect the Apple works similarly. See Bluetooth#Beacon in our wiki.
Apple has said that the AirTag's BT has a 30 to 40 foot range, which is a bit shorter than I would have expected. BT is of course a radio frequency system, so if the AirTag is placed in a metal container the signal could be blocked as that would essentially be a Faraday cage. If the AirTag is near metal or behind or covered by other objects the signal could be adversely affected as well. And other radio frequency signals can also affect a BT signal. So if someone needs to locate a lost AirTag/item in a large house they might need to walk around a while to get within range.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #105
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don’t think this would work for a wallet. They are kind of thick since they contain a watch battery.
True, I was trying to be generic. But someone could come out with a wallet that houses it efficiently.