Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Kindle Upgrade

Saw this in the Amazons discussion page. I am still at the 1.08 version. As always, I"m copying and pasting.

Initial post: Jan 23, 2009 8:06 AM PST
T. L. Crabtree says:
My Kindle just updated with version 1.2 yesterday, but sounds like not a whole lot of people have received the update yet. Found absolutely NO information on it -- even Amazon still shows version 1.0.8 as being the latest version.

Only things I've noticed so far:
- NowNow is nownow gone from the Experimental area. Only "Basic Web" and "Play music" remain.
- "Check for New Content" is now "Sync & Check for Items"
- New option on a book's menu -- "Sync to Furthest Page Read"

The Syncing features are intriguing. What does it mean exactly?

I opened up one of my books and checked the "Sync to Furthest Page Read" and got the following message:

"You are currently at location 257. The furthest location read is 1 from "Timothy's Kindle" at 10:43 AM EST on October 09, 2008. Go to that location?"

I'm guessing this means that you may need to sync often in order for the numbering to not be so screwy.

Has anybody else received this update at all? Any information of other new features that I'm missing?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Kindleist
Kindleist began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
It seems like only a very few Kindle's have been upgraded to 1.2... folders is still missing, and it seems like the main reason for the update is to get rid of NowNow from the "Experimental" menu.
Kindleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, I never used Nownow (and I never could get over the incredibly stupid name for the "service" ... which was awful both in concept and in execution).

Since my Kindle is working well with its current version, I'm just not going to worry about it for the time being.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

- New option on a book's menu -- "Sync to Furthest Page Read"
That might have to do with samples, and the complaint that there was no way to transfer your current position from the sample to the purchased book.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Kindleist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, I never used Nownow (and I never could get over the incredibly stupid name for the "service" ... which was awful both in concept and in execution).

Since my Kindle is working well with its current version, I'm just not going to worry about it for the time being.
Amazon recently took NowNow offline, but they did repackage the service, it's now called Askville.

Last edited by Kindleist; 01-24-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Are all updates to the Kindle available for free or do some have a small cost (like ipod touch charges for some upgrades)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Are all updates to the Kindle available for free or do some have a small cost (like ipod touch charges for some upgrades)
There has only been one previous upgrade, and it was free. However, Amazon does not upgrade all the Kindles at once so as not to overload the Whispernet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That might have to do with samples, and the complaint that there was no way to transfer your current position from the sample to the purchased book.
That would make sense. I just look at it before I buy the book and then go to that location in the new book but I think it would be a nice feature, and not very difficult to do, to put you in the full book at the right location without people having to do this.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I'm guessing this means that you may need to sync often in order for the numbering to not be so screwy.
Have you had issues with the location numbers not working? I've always found them to be consistent but I don't jump around books that often.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Have you had issues with the location numbers not working? I've always found them to be consistent but I don't jump around books that often.

That was not my quote. Mine was in the red above it, I just posted the quote from the Amazon Kindle discussions page.

I have not problems with the Kindle as it is.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That was not my quote. Mine was in the red above it, I just posted the quote from the Amazon Kindle discussions page.
Sometimes it helps to put quotes inside quote tags.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
LwoodY2K
LwoodY2K began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleist View Post
Amazon recently took NowNow offline, but they did repackage the service, it's now called Askville.
Slight digression - I believe the nownow service is backed by Mechanical Turk and crossposted to askville (or something like that). It's been a while since I was active there though so I don't remember the details.
LwoodY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This update doesn't exactly sound revolutionary, but at least it's something.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Kindleist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Canton View Post
This update doesn't exactly sound revolutionary, but at least it's something.
You can't expect a revolution with every update
Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Update to 1.2 is on the website for manual download....updating now
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote