Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast
FunkeXMix began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Specifying Audio files in .NCX file & Kindlegen?

Hi all,

I googled and searched this forum but I could not find any answers to this except that the amazonkindlepublishingguidelines.pdf document gives some hints. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

When creating eBooks with audio and video content, Amazon requires the creation of an NCX file that points to the audio and video assets. This file should list all video and audio files in reading order, with
links to where they occur in the book. For descriptions of the audio and video files, reuse the same audio and video metadata. (Example: A link to the video clip in section 6.8 would say “How to create Kindle
content (5:01)”.) This information should be embedded in the NavList portion of the NCX file.

So how do you add this to the .NCX? I tried this way but it's not working, Kindlegen can not find the mp3:

HTML:
Code:
 <audio id="audio_1" src=" audiovideo/myzuka.mp3" controls title="This is my audio 
(1:10)">
<br/><br/><br/>
”There is audio content at this location that is not currently supported for your 
device. The caption for this content is displayed below.” 
<br/><br/><br/> 
</audio>
<strong>This is my audio (1:10)</strong>
NCX
Code:
<navList>

<navTarget id="audio_1">
            <content src="Untitled-1.xhtml#audio_1"/>
			<audio src="audiovideo/myzuka.mp3"/>
        </navTarget>

</navList>
OPF

Code:
<item id="audio_1" href="audiovideo/myzuka.mp3" media-type="audio/mpeg"/>
Kindlegen

command: kindlegen sound.epub

Code:
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Title        "soundkindle"
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Date         "2015-04-01T14:30:24Z"
Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover
 Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in conte
  URL: C:\Users\EBOOKM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\mbp_7DF_4_1_12_26_8_36F_534_FE
BPS\cover.xhtml
Info(prcgen):I1002: Parsing files  0000001
Info(cssparser):I10004: @rules other than @import, @charset and @font-face
ot supported.
Warning(prcgen):W14010: media file not found  C:\Users\EBOOKM~1\AppData\Lo
mp\mbp_7DF_4_1_12_26_8_36F_534_FE4_1\OEBPS\ audiovideo\myzuka.mp3
Info(prcgen):I1015: Building PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1006: Resolving hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content     URL: C:\Users\EBOOKM~1\A
\Local\Temp\mbp_7DF_4_1_12_26_8_36F_534_FE4_1\OEBPS\toc.ncx
Error(prcgen):E24008: navlabel tag is not found inside a navpoint.
Error(prcgen):E24001: The table of content could not be built.
Info(prcgen):I1016: Building enhanced PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1007: Resolving mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1011: Writing mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1009: Resolving guide items
Info(prcgen):I1038: MOBI file could not be generated because of errors!
FunkeXMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 AM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeXMix View Post
Hi all,

HTML:
Code:
 <audio id="audio_1" src=" audiovideo/myzuka.mp3" controls
I see an extra space at the beginning of your src tag that shouldn't be there. There's also an extra space in the error message, so I'm pretty sure that's your problem.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

That was one issue, thanks for pointing it out. Second was a proper NCX markup which I fixed and kindlegen generated an enhanced PRC file without errors. File size is correct. But Kindle iPad app still claims that "There was a problem downloading the audio content of this title. Please remove the book from your device and re-download it."

I guess the app just has this limit built in if you sideload ebooks into it.

Working NCX code:

Code:
<navMap>

<navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
      <navLabel>
        <text>Preface</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="first.xhtml#_idParaDest-2" />
    </navPoint>

<navList>

<navTarget id="audio_1">
		<navLabel>
        <text>audio_1</text>
      </navLabel>
            <content src="first.xhtml#audio_1"/>
			<audio src="audiovideo/myzuka.mp3"/>
        </navTarget>

</navList>

</navMap>
Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

Can someone with a 2nd generation Kindle Fire or Kinde Fire HD test the file attached? Would be good to settle this issue once and for all. There were some other threads about it but they did not reach a conclusion except that real publisher accounts can publish audio/video content only. Not through KDP. But some people publish on their own website, so would be nice to find a testing method that works.
Attached Files
File Type: epub sound.epub (6.22 MB, 317 views)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Can someone with a 2nd generation Kindle Fire or Kinde Fire HD test the file attached? Would be good to settle this issue once and for all. There were some other threads about it but they did not reach a conclusion except that real publisher accounts can publish audio/video content only. Not through KDP. But some people publish on their own website, so would be nice to find a testing method that works.
Your test file doesn't work because it contains several syntax errors. You may want to check it with epubcheck online.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

I cleaned up the epub and attached the mobi. I am doubting that classic problem is the issue in regards to Kindle. They have their own requirements that don't always follow epub standards.

Withing the audio tag you can find how Kindle directs us to embedd sound. Kindlegen will complain if it can not find the audio. It is not doing that anymore. The only remaining thing not validating is this official way to put embedded audio as directed by Amazon. I am guessing it's not meant to. Can somebody try the mobi on their Kindle HD or 2 gen Fire please?

<div id="audiodiv" class="Basic-Text-Frame">
<audio id="audio1" src="audiovideo/myzuka.mp3" controls title="This is my audio
<br/><br/><br/>
”There is audio content at this location that is not currently supported for your
<br/><br/><br/>
</audio>
<strong>This is my audio (1:10)</strong> </div>
Attached Files
File Type: epub sound_almostvalidating.epub (6.22 MB, 320 views)
File Type: mobi sound.mobi (6.38 MB, 282 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I cleaned up the epub and attached the mobi. I am doubting that classic problem is the issue in regards to Kindle. They have their own requirements that don't always follow epub standards.

Withing the audio tag you can find how Kindle directs us to embedd sound. Kindlegen will complain if it can not find the audio. It is not doing that anymore. The only remaining thing not validating is this official way to put embedded audio as directed by Amazon. I am guessing it's not meant to. Can somebody try the mobi on their Kindle HD or 2 gen Fire please?

<br/><br/><br/>
<br/><br/><br/>
</audio>
<strong>This is my audio (1:10)</strong> </div>
Hi:

Yes, I can test this, but, before I do, you are aware that audio/video embedding is not enabled for self-publishers, right? You can make the book, but you can't upload it at the KDP?

Or, rather, to be precise: you can upload it, but all the audio or video will be stripped out?

HItch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
[...]
There were some other threads about it but they did not reach a conclusion except that real publisher accounts can publish audio/video content only. Not through KDP. But some people publish on their own website, so would be nice to find a testing method that works.
Sounds like a plan.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, the testing method that works is to have the devices for which the file is intended. I've tested this on my Fire, and it doesn't work. I get the text telling me that there's audio content at this location...yadda. I haven't looked at your coding.

Hitch
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

Thanks Hitch for testing. I do have a Kindle Fire but it's gen1 so audio is not supported. I'm testing in the iPad Kindle app. Has anyone in this forum successfully added audio to .mobi files?

The ePub is validating except the audio code that I copied from the amazonpublisingguidelines.pdf. Perhaps my .NCX file still isn't right, I'm not experienced adding navlists and audio to it.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks Hitch for testing. I do have a Kindle Fire but it's gen1 so audio is not supported. I'm testing in the iPad Kindle app. Has anyone in this forum successfully added audio to .mobi files?

The ePub is validating except the audio code that I copied from the amazonpublisingguidelines.pdf. Perhaps my .NCX file still isn't right, I'm not experienced adding navlists and audio to it.
Well, let's start at the beginning. Did you test the embedded audio in Kindle Previewer first? To see if it played in the iOS previewer?

(And the answer to your question is yes, we have.)

Hitch
Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

Yup. Kindle Previewer opens the song in my music player (foobar) when I click the blue sound icon. Uses code:

Code:

<br/><br/><br/>
<br/><br/><br/> 
</audio>
<strong>This is my audio (1:10)</strong>     </div>
NCX

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
	<head>
		<meta name="dtb:uid" content="urn:uuid:29d919dd-24f5-4384-be78-b447c9dc299b" />
		<meta name="dtb:depth" content="0" />
		<meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0" />
		<meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0" />
	</head>
	<docTitle>
		<text>soundkindle</text>
	</docTitle>

<navMap>

<navLabel>
        <text>Preface</text>
      </navLabel>
    </navPoint>

</navMap>

<navList>
        <navLabel>
            <text>List of Illustrations</text>
        </navLabel>
        <navTarget id="audio1">
            <navLabel><text>Portratit of Georg Gisze (Holbein)</text></navLabel>
            <content src="first.xhtml#audiodiv"/>
        </navTarget>
    </navList>

</ncx>

Last edited by FunkeXMix; 04-07-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yup. Kindle Previewer opens the song in my music player (foobar) when I click the blue sound icon. Uses code:

Code:

<br/><br/><br/>
<br/><br/><br/> 
</audio>
<strong>This is my audio (1:10)</strong>     </div>
NCX

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
	<head>
		<meta name="dtb:uid" content="urn:uuid:29d919dd-24f5-4384-be78-b447c9dc299b" />
		<meta name="dtb:depth" content="0" />
		<meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0" />
		<meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0" />
	</head>
	<docTitle>
		<text>soundkindle</text>
	</docTitle>

<navMap>

<navLabel>
        <text>Preface</text>
      </navLabel>
    </navPoint>

</navMap>

<navList>
        <navLabel>
            <text>List of Illustrations</text>
        </navLabel>
        <navTarget id="audio1">
            <navLabel><text>Portratit of Georg Gisze (Holbein)</text></navLabel>
            <content src="first.xhtml#audiodiv"/>
        </navTarget>
    </navList>

</ncx>

Stupid Question: are you right- or left-clicking it? If you right-click, you're seeing the video (sorry, audio) in your computer's player. If you left-click, you should see it playing as it will on iOS. Which are you doing?

Hitch
Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

Left-clicking, but it is still opening with the external mp3 player. Have you gotten audio to work in iPad Kindle app?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

FunkeXMix:

The last time I had this conversation with Amazon, you can't test an audio-embedded mobi directly. It has to go through the Amazon PW (Publishing Workflow) in order to function in an actual finished MOBI. Now, maybe I'm mis-remembering, as I haven't tried this in ages (as most of my clients can't publish A/V anyway), but that's my recollection.

I'll look through my corresp. with them, and let you know. However, at the moment, I've had a massive issue with our new website (the one that's on the staging server); it seems to have lost about half the functionality, for some weirdo reason. My priorities, at the moment, are a bit diverted. And I'm so distracted that I'm not even sure that what I'm saying is right.

Hitch

Tags
audio, kindlegen, video