Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #46
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post

I've had an idea... instead of renaming it and having to have Kovid change all the code and docs etc., why don't we put up a petition to get Poland and all Polish people/language to rename themselves instead
Best idea yet! Still, I would think Kovid could remedy this with a judicious application of a cosmic search and replace, no?
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #47
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Polish or Polish? It's all Greek to me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #48
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Well, if nothing else floats ye olde boat, could you at least lower case it to "polish?"

Oh yes, and I'm sure that in some year to come, I will find it a very helpful feature.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #49
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
It's great

One thing I've noticed though: after adding a metadata jacket in azw3, when the book is opened on the Kindle, the first page displayed is the "normal" start of the book, not the added jacket, would it be possible to change that so that it behaves like it does when doing a mobi conversion (book first opens at the inserted metadata jacket)?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One of the goals of Polishing is to minimize unnecessary changes to the book. Every action should have as few side-effects as possible. While I could have inserting the jacket change the start position, it is not consistent with that goal. You can easily change the start position yourself by tweaking the azw3 book and removing the "start" entry from the <guide> section of the opf.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #51
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Fair enough. Maybe as an option somewhere at a later date?
No idea about opf and doing it manually, so I'll go and look into that. Thanks for the pointer
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #52
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Thanks for this feature - it's great. If a name change is reconsidered in the future, I suggest Finetune (FineTune, Fine-tune, whatever.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #53
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Fintetune sounds good - I'd support that.
But I can see that changing a name would involve a lot of effort. And you do get used to every name after a while, so any is fine with me ...
(Dont't we all have software with silly names? And don't really notice it anymore, when t does a good job for us? This cool guy Alfred finds my files really quickly, but why has he got my uncle's name?)
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #54
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1-3: Done.

4. I dont see the point of removing the cover or not updating it if you are updating the rest of the metadata.
for the changes - the ones I raised seem to be A-OK

In lieu of an option in Polish to remove the cover, could we have an option in Conversion to not put the cover in the book in the first instance - perhaps in the Common Look & Feel section.

See post 4 in this thread for "why I don't want covers in my books" -

My 'books' don't come with covers, I create them to facilitate my use of Calibre - they're meaningless in the context of someone reading a 'book' on an ebook reader.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #55
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@BetterRed,

The Modify Epub plugin has a 'Remove existing cover' option.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #56
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@BetterRed,

The Modify Epub plugin has a 'Remove existing cover' option.
Thanks jackie_w, Modify was one of the first optional plugins I installed I have a feeling that it might have been yourself who told me about it then :lol:

In addition to removing the cover I've been using Modify to straighten punctuation, inject metadata, and remove jackets. All of which I can now do with Polish Books - except remove the cover, which I never wanted anyway.

Why would I prefer to use Polish Books?

First up I have the utmost respect for Kiwidude.

However, as someone who spent a good part of his working life on configuration management, I have a predilection for reducing the number of components installed on my system.

Polish is simpler, a tad faster, and less obtrusive (uncheck Show Report), and its part of the Calibre furniture. If I needed Modify for one of its many other features then I know where to get it.

The unavoidable, mandatory, no questions asked adding of the cover during conversion to ePub, is something that's annoyed me about Calibre since I first installed it. The only way to stop Calibre not putting the cover in the ePub is to not have a cover

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I still dont see how having a cover in your ebook is a problem. Just ignore it if you dont care about it when reading the book. It isn't like it affects the book's performance in any way, other than an increase in filesize.

I simply dont see putting covers in your calibre library but not in your ebooks as an important enough use case for me to add an option for.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #58
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
And I'm just the opposite, I'm pretty anal about having a decent cover image in the book since my standby screen on my reader is always the book I'm reading. Not sure if all readers have that ability, but I'd hate to lose that option.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #59
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am also anal about having good covers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #60
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Not keeping the cover in your books seems to be to be short sighted. My Kindles previous to the PW had no use for the cover, although it could be called up on demand (in black and white). But even then I wanted the covers for those instances when I would convert a book for someone with an iPad, for example, that uses color covers in an important fashion. The Kindle PW can now use the covers in a graphic alternative menu display, which I often use, as I do not keep hundreds of books in my reader at one time.
Should the color cover become important or even helpful in a future device, I certainly would not want to have to "download" hundreds or thousands of covers. So far, the extra file size has never been a factor, and an unseen book cover has never bothered me.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote