Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A couple qustions on storing stuff "in the cloud"

I'm hoping someone has already worked these out, so I'll throw them out there.

1. I'd like to move my Calibre library online to Box, or DropBox, or even Amazon. Has anyone worked out the best way to access such a library with the Fire? As in, the books work, they show up on the carrousel, and you can retrieve them from the cloud as needed.

2. I'm interested in copying a few personal DVDs to my fire. Has anyone figured out a ripping/conversion and compressing routine that produces a good file for use on the KF, and can I store these online and stream them to my Fire?

I should probably already know this, but any info or links to walkthroughs would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by carld; 04-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
1. You can manage your library in DropBox or Box to your liking - just as you would with your other files/folders, i.e., by Author, Genre, etc. However, your files cannot appear on the carousel - they are simply files stored in another location and must be downloaded to the Fire in order to read.

2. I highly recommend DVD Catalyst - it is an all-in-one ripping/conversion program that has presets for the Fire and many other tablets. The developer is very responsive and answers questions/requests quickly. There is a trial version available:

DVD Catalyst 4
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
might i suggest plex for streaming

Www.plexapp.com

This is a beta but for all that its well developed and well supported by volunteers and developers alike. You can download the media server software as well as desktop media client software for free (windows, Mac and Linux) plus there's a free cloudlike service that makes your server accessible to paid mobile clients (like the $4.99 Plex for Android for kindle fire).

Basically if you leave your server running, you can access your media from anywhere on virtually any device without having to upload your media and pay for cloud storage. The content stays on whatever drive you store it on.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm hoping someone has already worked these out, so I'll throw them out there.

1. I'd like to move my Calibre library online to Box, or DropBox, or even Amazon. Has anyone worked out the best way to access such a library with the Fire? As in, the books work, they show up on the carrousel, and you can retrieve them from the cloud as needed.

I should probably already know this, but any info or links to walkthroughs would be greatly appreciated.
Sideload the Dropbox app on the Fire. I use it hold my ebook library then just download to books or documents folder and restart the Fire for them to reappear.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sideload the Dropbox app on the Fire. I use it hold my ebook library then just download to books or documents folder and restart the Fire for them to reappear.
I use Dropbox for my Calibre Library also.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I have Dropbox installed, but I didn't know how well it all worked together.

Edit: another question. When you import a new book into Calibre do you have to upload it yourself, or does Calibre automatically update for you?

Last edited by carld; 04-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Www.plexapp.com

This is a beta but for all that its well developed and well supported by volunteers and developers alike. You can download the media server software as well as desktop media client software for free (windows, Mac and Linux) plus there's a free cloudlike service that makes your server accessible to paid mobile clients (like the $4.99 Plex for Android for kindle fire).
Thanks, I'll take a look. I seem to remember having Plex installed at one point, but I think I tried to stream something and couldn't get it to work for some reason.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I have Dropbox installed, but I didn't know how well it all worked together.

Edit: another question. When you import a new book into Calibre do you have to upload it yourself, or does Calibre automatically update for you?
Dropbox is sync software. If you have your Calibre library in your Dropbox it auto updates in real time. You will need to export it from your Dropbox to the Fire via the app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post

2. I highly recommend DVD Catalyst - it is an all-in-one ripping/conversion program that has presets for the Fire and many other tablets. The developer is very responsive and answers questions/requests quickly. There is a trial version available:

DVD Catalyst 4
I second this. I've been using it since version 2, and Mitch, the developer, is a good guy.
He even has a conversion profile specifically for the Fire that accounts for the loss of the few pixels because of the menu bar....but I don't use that one.

DVDFab also works well, but 'Cat is a lot cheaper and the support is great.

And the cat eyes icon is really cool.

ApK

p.s. I'm trying to find a single conversion profile on DVD Catalyst that will work on my Video Ipod, 2nd gen Itouch, 4th Gen iTouch, Fire, and will also look decent on a big TV. Currently I can get good result for any three of the above it seem, but I can't find One Profile To Rule Them All.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
carld
Wizard

Well, I was attempting to move my Calibre Library into Dropbox and discovered that I had an additional Calibre Library directory inside my Calibre Library and it was filled with books. I renamed it, and moved it, then re-imported the books, but lost a lot of covers and a few books. So, I'm still sorting that out. Will update once I think I've got it all working correctly.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I second this. I've been using it since version 2, and Mitch, the developer, is a good guy.
He even has a conversion profile specifically for the Fire that accounts for the loss of the few pixels because of the menu bar....but I don't use that one.

DVDFab also works well, but 'Cat is a lot cheaper and the support is great.

And the cat eyes icon is really cool.

ApK

p.s. I'm trying to find a single conversion profile on DVD Catalyst that will work on my Video Ipod, 2nd gen Itouch, 4th Gen iTouch, Fire, and will also look decent on a big TV. Currently I can get good result for any three of the above it seem, but I can't find One Profile To Rule Them All.

ApK
Cat does not take care of 'infestation' like DVDFab does, correct?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Cat does not take care of 'infestation' like DVDFab does, correct?

Carol
It does OK.
There is an article on the topic on the web site:
http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/11/...tection-popup/

He actually recommends stuff like one of the DVDFab products to handle the more whacky types.

Personally, my DVD collection is fairly old, so it's rare that I run into something DVDCatalyst can't handle on it's own.

Last edited by ApK; 04-18-2012 at 09:29 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
I've been emailing my non-amazon books to my me@kindle.com address, so that they show up in the 'cloud' tab of my 'docs' screen. That makes things pretty straightforward as far as keeping them in the cloud, as long as you don't have very many of them (at least with box or dropbox you can create a directory structure to organize your books if you have a lot). Also, it only works with non-drm files.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote