Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
They Just Don't Get It!

I don't know if this belongs in the News section or not. If not, please feel free to move it.

This article from Adweek (Will E-Books Get Lost in Translation?) demonstrates just how far out in left field the industry is when it comes to e-books.

Clearly, the HarperCollins iPhone experiment has nothing to do with e-books. It's all about using the iPhone as another marketing tool. They don't care about the actual reading experience. They're just hoping to sell more p-books.

Read the whole thing and pay close attention to the comments from publishing company representatives. They just don't get it. Why does it seem like authors and readers live in one universe, and publishers in another?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
News section is perfect, Jason.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Baen didn't get it either

To be honest, Baen Books got into ebooks not for the ebook market, but as a way of promoting the pbooks.

The e-anthology series Grantville Gazette was not entirely expected.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The article author apparently has no idea what the Kindle is...

Quote:
First, Amazon.com is scheduled to release the Kindle in October, which will allow users to wirelessly download books from the e-book store on the company's Web site to a mobile phone without having to use a computer.
I won't disagree that reading on a phone, or even a PDA isn't the best experience. But then again, that's why e-ink was invtented.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Many of us started that way when e-ink was just marketing hype and just around the corner.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
To be honest, Baen Books got into ebooks not for the ebook market, but as a way of promoting the pbooks.

The e-anthology series Grantville Gazette was not entirely expected.
Yes, I should have been more clear.

What Baen did was to put out e-book X in order to sell p-book Y. The HC person doesn't appear to care about putting out e-book X, though. The intention seems to be to put out sample X in order to sell p-book X. Maybe, just maybe, if enough people beg them, they'll think about putting out an e-book edition.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Yes, I should have been more clear.

What Baen did was to put out e-book X in order to sell p-book Y. The HC person doesn't appear to care about putting out e-book X, though. The intention seems to be to put out sample X in order to sell p-book X. Maybe, just maybe, if enough people beg them, they'll think about putting out an e-book edition.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are correct.

Baen didn't know what would happen when they got into the ebook market back in 2001(2002?).

But that was 5 plus years ago. Now, Baen is making a profit on its ebook sales, as is Fictionwise, Mobipocket, and a bunch of others. It is now an established fact that there is a potential market for HC ebooks. There is no need to test it by offering fragments of ebooks. Offer the real thing; see what happens. What HC is doing is probably stupid and certainly pointless.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, HC is daft. Who in their right mind wants to download a sample that is incomplete? An example of how to do a sample correctly. There is a new Star Trek sort story anthology coming out based on TNG. They have a sample up on their website. (I'll have to dig out the URL) and they give out one complete story.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
It would be curious if the high level decision makers working at a publishing company reads any more than the general public. If not, and they read the 'typical' 2-3 books a year (compared to the average of, what, 1-2 a week on this forum) then it isn't much of a surprise they don't get it.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Many of us started that way when e-ink was just marketing hype and just around the corner.
right. us "pda-readers" were the ebooks' early adopters

one might think that most people have never heard of a phone that has PDA capabilities. iPhone this ... iPhone that ... oooh, look, internet on a PHONE !

i will forever be a die-hard smartphone-ebook-reader, since for me, portability is the key. i could immagine a pda/phone with an e-ink screen. but i will not carry one of those huge readers around with me.

btt: another problem i see with the iPhone is that currently, all "ebooks" available for the iPhone seem to be PDF files.
and that most probably means non-reflowing text. so while it'll be cool to pinch, swipe and swoosh, it'll be a bitch to read. left-right-scrolling is horrible when you want to read something.
i've said it before and i'll say it again: we need mobipocket reader for mac/iPhone. whoops, wrong forum
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I tried reading on iPhone. Without hardware buttons to scroll it's extremely awkward. Swiping the screen to scroll looks very cool until you have to do it for an hour or more. So, I don't see iPhone as a reading platform unless they add some buttons. (I guess a third-party reading software could try to intercept volume buttons... that might work.)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This article's basis is mainly 'reading on a phone'. The shame of it is thinking that ebooks are only meant for 'reading on a phone'. This is a poor limited view and frankly just as poor journalism. They mention the reader but only so. It is clear this writer's never tried one of the different devices available.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Baen didn't know what would happen when they got into the ebook market back in 2001(2002?).
At the risk of sounding like I'm suggesting his beatification, I sometimes wonder if Jim Baen didn't privately suspect what might come of it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't know... I didn't think the article was that bad. I mean, it starts with noting that the Japanese are reading a lot of books on their phones, and goes from there. The criticism of the Sony Reader is primarily that Sony hasn't done any serious marketing of it. Is there anyone here who would disagree with that?

I'll grant that the article assumes that the Kindle will somehow connect to a phone, which makes no sense based on what we know... but on the other hand, the Kindle is rumored to be using EVDO, so one can see how someone might have picked up the wrong idea there.

As far as HarperCollins and their limited view of what customers would like to download, I think what the article is trying to say is that HC is using a service they already have, namely online browsing or "Browse Inside," to offer content first, to see if it would be worth their while to offer full content.

I personally can't imagine reading on a phone (or a PDA). It seems far from ideal to me. But lots of other people read on phones and PDAs, and the Applie iPhone is a pretty hot item right now as far as the media is concerned, so I can see why this story got written the way it did.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I tried reading on iPhone. Without hardware buttons to scroll it's extremely awkward. Swiping the screen to scroll looks very cool until you have to do it for an hour or more. So, I don't see iPhone as a reading platform unless they add some buttons. (I guess a third-party reading software could try to intercept volume buttons... that might work.)
My p-books don't have any buttons. And I read tomes, not scrolls.

Scrolling is the wrong design paradigm to use. One shouldn't swipe the screen to scroll down the page. One should swipe the screen to turn the page.

Were you using Safari to read? How does Books.app work?
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote