Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
bebens
bebens began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo Shortfalls

I note two serious issues related to the Kobo reader and associated software.

1 Using the desktop application, it is impossible to download only the new books you purchased. When you sync, all purchases (new and past) are downloaded and added to "My reading". Also i'm reading a series of books by the same author which includes one map in each book. The maps are not reproduced. Kobo support told me to use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) instead. The desktop app in my estimation is useless.

2. Using ADE, I found that the "Notes" in the book, which were in a smaller font than the rest of the book were reproduced so that the font was too small to read. Nor did I find the full paragragh justification pleasing. But, at least, the maps are reproduced.

There are ways around the sync issue such as deleting past books from by library on kobobooks.com so they do not sync but I want to read books, not manage poorly executed software.
bebens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Bebens, Be careful to 'undelete' the books you were getting out of your way. The trash is emptied every j30 days. Kobo "support" told me that if that happens to purchased books you will have to purchase them again. Sweet deal for them to not mention this up front?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Bebens, Be careful to 'undelete' the books you were getting out of your way. The trash is emptied every j30 days. Kobo "support" told me that if that happens to purchased books you will have to purchase them again. Sweet deal for them to not mention this up front?
I think there might be some confusion here. Check out this page:

http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/1705...t-them-anymore

from there:
Quote:
Under the “I’m Reading” tab, select the books you no longer want to see in your library and select “Delete”. Don’t worry, since you have purchased these books, they are still available to you under the ‘Purchased’ tab.

So the trash might empty every 30 days, but you should still have access to all your purchases through some purchase history associated with your account. I can't personally attest to this, as I haven't purchased books from Kobobooks.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Here was where I got the information (different forum site). I think they may have meant if it is deleted from the "purchased" page and not the "I'm reading" page which is what the customer question referred to. So, thank you for making me double check.

"Should you delete a purchased item, you have 30 days from the date of deleting to remove it from the Trash. After 30 days have expired, you will no longer have access to the content, and will have to re-purchase it to read it again.

Trash Folder

All deleted items remain in your Trash for 30 days. To undelete an item, check the box next to any title and click the orange Undelete button—your content will be moved back into your Library. To permanently remove items from Trash, check the box and hit Delete Forever.
7 hours ago · Report"
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Ahh ok, yeah that makes sense.

Hmmm.... so now I'm wondering why they even have an option to delete books from your purchased tab
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Jelbee
Jelbee began at the beginning.

Embarassing self-help books you're worried someone might notice you purchased?
Jelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Ahh ok, yeah that makes sense.

Hmmm.... so now I'm wondering why they even have an option to delete books from your purchased tab
In my case, I bought a book that was horribly written and I wanted to be rid of it...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote