Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
kcz
kcz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question how to export and import settings?

Is there a way to export calibre settings and import them on another machine?

I have a pretty neat setup on my old MacBook and want to switch to a new MacBook. However, I don't want to go through all the settings one by one, especially since calibre has a ton of them.
kcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
Is there a way to export calibre settings and import them on another machine?

I have a pretty neat setup on my old MacBook and want to switch to a new MacBook. However, I don't want to go through all the settings one by one, especially since calibre has a ton of them.
Copy the entire configuration folder.(replace) to the new computer

Note: you may need to re-link the Library if the path is not precisely the same. <no biggie >
Rightclick Library icon: create Switch: use existing: <point to folder>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
kcz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Copy the entire configuration folder.(replace) to the new computer

Note: you may need to re-link the Library if the path is not precisely the same. <no biggie >
Rightclick Library icon: create Switch: use existing: <point to folder>
Thank you very much. That was it!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
kcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you for that link. Unfortunately this is a bit of an overkill. I have my library located on my nextcloud instance. Thus the library will be available on every machine. I only need to export/import the calibre settings (plugins are a plus but not necessary). Using the method described in the FAQ forces me to export and import the library as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
To export your settings, right click on the Library icon (the one with the picture of books) and then choose Export. You can only export your settings to an empty folder each time you export. (Suggestion to the creator of Calibre: It would be nice if you could overwrite your previous settings each time you do an export...)

Use the same icon to import settings whenever you need to import them.

To export any Transform rules (under Look and Feel), there is a button at the bottom of the Transform window. This export will allow you to overwrite the previous "rules" file. An import button is also at the bottom of that window.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
To export any Transform rules (under Look and Feel), there is a button at the bottom of the Transform window. This export will allow you to overwrite the previous "rules" file. An import button is also at the bottom of that window.
This is in reference to the Conversion->Look and Feel->Transform Styles tab, not the Preferences->Look and Feel settings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:44 PM   #8
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Device: iOS
Hi there

I'm about to migrate my stuff to a new Mac. Since I have my library in Dropbox, doing the export/import isn't exactly a good idea.

I found an option in Calibre's settings: Advanced > Miscellaneous > "Open calibre configuration folder". If I do that, it opens Finder to the following path: /Users/<MyUser>/Library/Preferences/calibre.

So what I'm planning to do:
1. Install Dropbox on the new Mac, sync the whole library.
2. Install Calibre on the new Mac.
3. Without configuring anything, exit Calibre.
4. Overwrite the configuration folder's content with the content from my current Mac.

That should in theory do the trick, right? Or should I first make sure to also install the same plugins before restoring the configuration folder?

Regards
Fermin
fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The thought of having my calibre library stored anywhere other than a local drive is downright scary. There have been too many posts through the years where people have written "I had my calibre library stored in cloud provider/on a NAS/etc. and now I've lost my books/metadata doesn't work/my library is corrupted/etc."

Basically, SQLite is not intended for use in a networked environment and eventually, it bites you in the butt. You might want to read through SQLite Over a Network,
Caveats and Considerations
for a more detailed explanation.

Yes, I do store backup copies of my calibre library in the cloud as well as on backup media and a local NAS. I would never try to use those copies as my live data.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-02-2023 at 07:20 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:18 PM   #10
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Sorry to resurrect OLD thread, but as N of 1 I've kept my library on OneDrive for years w/o issues. That said I ONLY access it one computer with files kept offline at all times.

I also backup regularly in case it does start to have an issue.

I am about to migrate to a new computer so will see how that goes as I want to migrate settings and plugins, but keep library in place.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:11 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It's not a question of if but when. If you have followed the posts about using calibre with the library in the cloud/on a NAS/whatever, the first words tend to be similar to "I've done this for years and now my calibre library is corrupt." I'd avoid the chance of an error by keeping my library local and saving a backup copy to cloud storage when calibre is not running.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:03 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagtag View Post
as N of 1 I've kept my library on OneDrive for years w/o issues. That said I ONLY access it one computer with files kept offline at all times.
Why have it on OneDrive if "kept offline at all times"
Also Calibre only works with one computer anyway. Local storage and backup is cheap and more reliable than OneDrive, which will mess up the library.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote