Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Timber
Enthusiast
Timber began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Macbook Pro, Kindle
Calibre issue doing a long upgrade

Calibre has been running fine for a long time, so it's been a while since I upgraded.

Today I went to upgrade to the latest 0.4.112 from my old version 0.4.83 and I've been running into a couple of problems.

1. The installer takes forever. Well over half an hour to run. That's new. The old versions always installed pretty quickly.

2. After installing, the old version kept crashing as it tried to convert my library from the old library1.dat file to the new format.

Is there a place I can get prior versions of calibre and maybe not do a jump of quite so many releases at a time 0.4.83 to 0.4.112?

Any other suggestions?

supplemental info: running under vista, old library1.dat file is about 700 MB in size.

I'd apreciate any advice you can give, because calibre is a great tool and I'd love to use the latest version.
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
Timber
Enthusiast

Found found one of several problems. Calibre really doesn't like umlauts in library paths. I was dropping it into a folder named Bücher and it crashed the program. Got the library conversion to start by moving the library folder to one with no umlauts in the name.

Just idle curiosity, any idea why the install folder Bücher would crash it?

Still having a second problem. it starts to convert my books. Gets a few authors down and crashes.

Last edited by Timber; 12-11-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your antivirus program is interfering with the installer. Turn it off and it will speed up again. What book does it crash on?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #4
Timber
Enthusiast

Not sure how to tell the specific book it crashes on, because as soon as it crashes it closes the UI.

Ran your debugger, wish I could append the output here, but it's not letting me. last message in the set says Database exception - unable to open database file.

When I open the Calibre.log file it says TypeError: Not all arguments converted during string formatting.

-- edit - ok was able to attach a screenshot of your debugger for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre debug screenshot.png
Views:	320
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	19014  

Last edited by Timber; 12-11-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rename the file library1.db and you should be fine.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Timber
Enthusiast

Hmmm still having a problem.

I renamed the metadata files from the prior run and re-ran the import from the debugger.

Get's like 2/3 of the way through my books (about 700 or so books down), then pops the message below.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	294
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	19041  
Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can do the migration manually, by the following command:

Code:
calibre-debug --migrate \path\to\library1.db \path\to\new\library\folder
After it completes, delete library1.db
Old 12-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
tags and collections

hi,

i've been using calibre the past weeks.
i read that using tags will help to get your collection working on the reader.
i've put different tagnames but no collection showed up.

can someone help out here. i'm having a couple of hundreds books now.

thanks.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Timber
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can do the migration manually, by the following command:

Code:
calibre-debug --migrate \path\to\library1.db \path\to\new\library\folder
After it completes, delete library1.db
Thanks for all the help Kovid. Unfortunately it's still breaking at the same spot when converting my db. See the attached screenshot...

Wish there was a way to see the specific book it's breaking on. Then I could roll my version back to .83, save out the .LRF for that one book and delete it and re-convert and reload.

--EDIT -- OK got it resolved. My best guess is that my antivirus (Zone Alarm suite, which uses Kaspersky), was locking the file temporarily while it scanned it, and that caused the unable to open database message and crashed calibre. Shut down the antivirus, re-ran the migrate and it ran without a hitch. Go figure...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	304
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	19044  

Last edited by Timber; 12-11-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try turning off any antivirus programs you have running before starting the migrate command
Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
i've put different tagnames but no collection showed up.
Are you using the "send to reader" feature?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you using the "send to reader" feature?

BOb
no, i didn't.
i told it to save the lrf file on my sd-card.
i will try to send it to reader and see what happens.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote