Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks! I'm sold!

Last edited by Michele; 12-03-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I'm looking for one with a "sticky" grip, and from the description on the Gelaskins site, they seem to be vinyl. Is there something I'm missing?
There wasn't much choice when I first got my mini, quite a few more cases are now available, including some that are compatible with the Smart Cover. Anyway, this was the silicone skin I got, it's grippy, but a little thick and I'm not sure I like the blue. Last week I ordered a black one that looked thinner from another source, hasn't arrived yet though.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-03-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was looking at those, thanks. I decided on this case instead.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Michele, I saw your question about storage. I just got mine and went with the 16GB. It'll be plenty enough for my books and I figure if I ever need more storage for other things I add on later then I can always upgrade. My iTunes music library is large - more by itself than 16GB - but I don't see the necessity of having my entire music library on my mini anyway. I'll probably do like I do with my nano - on my Mac, make a playlist of the songs I want on it, then only sync the music from that one playlist. But if you plan on having a good bit of stuff on your mini then maybe more storage is better.

Quote:
1- Do the narrow borders cause you to accidentally turn the page with your thumb just from holding it?
From what I can tell so far, no, not at all. I actually love the narrow borders because it allows a bigger screen with a smaller form factor. Oddly enough, the mini is actually narrower than the Kindle Fire which has a smaller screen but wider overall device.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Originally Posted by Michele
1- Do the narrow borders cause you to accidentally turn the page with your thumb just from holding it?

From what I can tell so far, no, not at all. I actually love the narrow borders because it allows a bigger screen with a smaller form factor. Oddly enough, the mini is actually narrower than the Kindle Fire which has a smaller screen but wider overall device.
Seems like this would cause you to have to move your thumb on every page while reading in portrait view so that it doesn't block the text where it rests. That would be an inconvenience. Landscape should be okay as it has large bezel on top and bottom.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Seems like this would cause you to have to move your thumb on every page while reading in portrait view so that it doesn't block the text where it rests. That would be an inconvenience. Landscape should be okay as it has large bezel on top and bottom.
All the eReader apps have a margin. There is plenty of space to hang on without covering any text.

In fact, text never loads to the very edge of the page in any app, not only the eReaders, so there is always some empty space next to the bezel. Plus the mini is so thin and light that you don't need much to hang onto, mostly I hold it in my palm with my thumb slightly wrapped around the left edge, adding my little finger hooked on the bottom edge.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, sun surfer. I'm glad you are enjoying your new iPad mini. I'm not a big fan of iBooks because I don't purchase books there since their DRM won't work on my e-ink readers. I prefer to use multiple reading apps. I also recommend Bluefire. The Sony app is powered by Bluefire by the way. I also like the Kindle and Nook apps so I can sync back to my e-ink devices. I like magazines purchased through the Nook app because of their Article View feature. Zinio is a popular app for magazines. Also Overdrive has an app for ebooks and audiobooks from your local library. Goodreads also has an app if you use their website.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Michele, I saw your question about storage. I just got mine and went with the 16GB. It'll be plenty enough for my books and I figure if I ever need more storage for other things I add on later then I can always upgrade. My iTunes music library is large - more by itself than 16GB - but I don't see the necessity of having my entire music library on my mini anyway. I'll probably do like I do with my nano - on my Mac, make a playlist of the songs I want on it, then only sync the music from that one playlist. But if you plan on having a good bit of stuff on your mini then maybe more storage is better.

Thanks! I ended up deciding on 16GB for that same reason. I'll probably end up with another mini eventually when the retina screen comes, and keep this one mainly for reading and some games.

When I had a Kindle Fire HD my thumbs were constantly turning pages unintentionally, so I'm glad that's not an issue with the mini. And it was thick and heavy! I returned it. I've read that the mini feels like a kindle in hand, and that sold me on it.

I've been such a loyalist to e-ink since it first came out, but my aging eyes really need more contrast than an e-ink screen can provide at this point. And don't even get me started on the debacle that the Kindle Paperwhite was.

Now I just need to wait 2 weeks for delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Hi, sun surfer. I'm glad you are enjoying your new iPad mini. I'm not a big fan of iBooks because I don't purchase books there since their DRM won't work on my e-ink readers. I prefer to use multiple reading apps. I also recommend Bluefire. The Sony app is powered by Bluefire by the way. I also like the Kindle and Nook apps so I can sync back to my e-ink devices. I like magazines purchased through the Nook app because of their Article View feature. Zinio is a popular app for magazines. Also Overdrive has an app for ebooks and audiobooks from your local library. Goodreads also has an app if you use their website.
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many reading apps! Thank you, marked for future reference.

Last edited by Michele; 12-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many reading apps! Thank you, marked for future reference.
If you need a reference for reading apps you might want to reference our wiki. E-book software

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Not sure where this question should go but..... if you buy an ebook from the iBookstore or iTunes... is the format epub and is it DRM free?

Thanks
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Not sure where this question should go but..... if you buy an ebook from the iBookstore or iTunes... is the format epub and is it DRM free?

Thanks
Books bought from the iBooks store are ePubs, and they usually have DRM. To read them in an app other than iBooks will require deDRMing.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
Synamon
Lunatic

nevermind

Last edited by Synamon; 12-13-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Synamon
Lunatic

It's been a couple of weeks, how are you liking your mini, sun surfer?

I really wasn't using mine to read books until I loaded the new Marvin reading app on mine last week. I found background and text colours that are easy on the eyes and now I prefer reading in the evenings on it over my Kindle Keyboard.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It's been a couple of weeks, how are you liking your mini, sun surfer?

I really wasn't using mine to read books until I loaded the new Marvin reading app on mine last week. I found background and text colours that are easy on the eyes and now I prefer reading in the evenings on it over my Kindle Keyboard.
Wow, how did I miss this post? Sorry Synamon.

I only came browsing here this time on a whim, and now it's been more like half a year instead of a couple of weeks, but I'll give it a go:

I am loving it!

For e-reading, I use the mini now basically exclusively even though I currently still have an e-ink reader.

While I miss e-ink to a degree, it just does not make up for the quickness of a tablet for me. With note-taking and wikipedia and google look-ups, I am in heaven with how easy it all is on the mini.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm glad you like it. I am still waiting for the iPad Mini with retina display! I was hoping it would be out this summer. I second Synamon's recommendation to try Marvin if you haven't discovered it yet. It's my favorite reading app now on my iPad, and it keeps getting better.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote