Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
rgc2005
rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Almost two weeks of JellyBean on my Fire. There is no way I could ever tolerate Amazon's basic ROM.
Thanks for the links and assistance.
rgc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
Almost two weeks of JellyBean on my Fire. There is no way I could ever tolerate Amazon's basic ROM.
Thanks for the links and assistance.
I am on official amazon f/w. Like the long standby time.
Whats the standby and general battery time you are seeing on the JB?
If its good enough, i will also try to move to JB.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Something that occurred to me the other day, and maybe someone with Jellybean can verify or not. Once you've updated to Jellybean I'm assuming that Kindle Fire editions of apps are no longer useable since your device is no longer seen as a Kindle Fire. Is that right?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Paulc15
Paulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle DX , iPad 1, Kobo Vox
Hi carld

The Kindle (and Kobo) apps work fine. I forget what name your Jelly Beaned appears as in "Manage My Kindle", (but it include reference to Android) but I just renamed mine to Kindle Jelly Bean.

I'd like to add my thanks to all the advice people have offered to get this up and running - a bit more of a hassle than jailbreaking an iPhone...but not much. And WELL worth it.
Paulc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
It'a A LOT better than on the Ice Cream Sandwich ROM, good standby, but nothing like the Amazon build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Something that occurred to me the other day, and maybe someone with Jellybean can verify or not. Once you've updated to Jellybean I'm assuming that Kindle Fire editions of apps are no longer useable since your device is no longer seen as a Kindle Fire. Is that right?
That is correct. However, if you back up your apps to the SD, some of them will install without issue, that's what people have found anyway. The Kindle Fire apps used to accidentally appear as available for other device in the Amazon App Store to begin with.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info. I only have one or two Kindle Fire editions, but I'd like to keep them if possible.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #22
rgc2005
rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
To qualify my answers first let me say I am an Anroid rookie and only tinker a bit with my devices. This was my first experience rooting any device and I only had to restore to factory once. Following the advice Jessica gives in this thread is an absolute must....

For some reason my Kindle Fire running JB seems much quicker and the only Amazon App that did not carry over was a game I bought that sucked so no real loss to me. I am not a heavy user by any stretch but the battery seems to hold up well running JB.

Standby Battery: I left it in my office for six days. Booted right up with roughly 50% battery according to the icon.
Battery in Use: Starting with an overnight charge I read for almost 8 hours and the meter showed 75%. Media, Games and Video don't really seem to drain it more than using the wifi and google maps.
rgc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
Standby Battery: I left it in my office for six days. Booted right up with roughly 50% battery according to the icon.
Battery in Use: Starting with an overnight charge I read for almost 8 hours and the meter showed 75%. Media, Games and Video don't really seem to drain it more than using the wifi and google maps.
Thanks. Your figures looks great for me.
My only reason for getting the Fire was to buy the Scrabble app.
But this is repeatedly failing (not in US). so might as well flash something else in the Fire.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
JakRox
JakRox began at the beginning.

I assume the ability to play the amazon prime videos is removed as well, correct? What about updates? Will the Fire do automatic updates and wipe the root and Jelly Bean?
Thank you
JakRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
carld
Wizard

Right, Amazon Prime Videos are gone. That happens even if all you do is root your Fire. As far as I understand your Fire is no longer a Kindle Fire as far as Amazon is concerned and won't update.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
JakRox
JakRox began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Right, Amazon Prime Videos are gone. That happens even if all you do is root your Fire. As far as I understand your Fire is no longer a Kindle Fire as far as Amazon is concerned and won't update.
Interesting. Thank you. I understand IOS now has a Amazon Prime App. Is one available for Android yet? I can't locate one myself.
Tim
JakRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakRox View Post
Interesting. Thank you. I understand IOS now has a Amazon Prime App. Is one available for Android yet? I can't locate one myself.
Tim
The app - Amazon Instant Video - is only available for the iPad. No iPhone or Android support yet. I don't see Android support any time soon, since it would remove an incentive for getting the Fire.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Now that I've been using JB on my KF for awhile, it's been getting slower. Any advice on how to remedy this?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Now that I've been using JB on my KF for awhile, it's been getting slower. Any advice on how to remedy this?
Try clearing your cache partition in TWRP.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #30
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Try clearing your cache partition in TWRP.
Thanks! It's fast again. Now if there was a way around the short battery life...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote