Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Doesn't the kindle have a default light-colored background? Turning the screen all black ought to use MORE power than merely turning the letters black.

Mine doesn't have the feature so I speak from no experience.
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
I’m very sensitive to blue light when trying to sleep. I’ve tried it both ways and find white text on black background significantly better on my eyes when reading at night. I only wish it also included the comfort light/amber color lights to pair with the inverted text. Maybe Oasis 3 will include that.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
It's not there either. Thanks though. Mine was advertised as 8th generation, whatever that means.
Generation has no real meaning.

The Oasis that has invert black and white mode has a 7in (17.5cm) diagonal screen and was released in autumn 2017. The 6in (15cm) diagonal screen Oasis that came with a battery in the cover is an older model that does not have an invert black and white mode as an option.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
True... I do have it set to full refresh, and it may be better with that setting off.

Another annoying thing with the inverted text page turns (on full refresh) is that it seems to quickly render the page in standard black-on-white before inverting to white-on-black. It feels... glitchy.
Whatever the good and bad points of invert black and white, Amazon made a big improvement in page turning with infrequent refresh. For years, I automatically selected refresh every page when I got a new Kindle. I am, or used to be, very sensitive to all the black smudges that accumulate without refresh.

Because the flashing is so bad for invert black and white, I turned refresh off to see if that helped. It didn't help enough for invert black and white for me, but I left refresh off because I just did not see any crud.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Doesn't the kindle have a default light-colored background? Turning the screen all black ought to use MORE power than merely turning the letters black.

E-ink displays only use power to change the screen. The number of pixels that change between pages is what affects power usage, not what color the background is.

No one has given any reason for changing to invert mode before putting the Kindle to sleep would save power. I am very skeptical that is true.
Advert
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Generation has no real meaning.
Amazon does use "generation tags" in their Identify Your Device Page on the customer forums. The 6" Oasis is an 8th generation model, the 7" Oasis carries the 9th generation tag.

So, there is meaning in which generation a device is.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon does use "generation tags" in their Identify Your Device Page on the customer forums. The 6" Oasis is an 8th generation model, the 7" Oasis carries the 9th generation tag.

So, there is meaning in which generation a device is.
It has been alleged that varies from country to country and the OP does not state a location.

This comes up frequently in the Developers forum and the developers refuse to waste any time trying to decode "generation".
Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
E-ink displays only use power to change the screen. The number of pixels that change between pages is what affects power usage, not what color the background is.

No one has given any reason for changing to invert mode before putting the Kindle to sleep would save power. I am very skeptical that is true.
The brightness level of the front-light will affect power usage. If invert mode also reduces brightness level (I can imagine one would want it to be at least a little lower with black background), then that will save some power.

I agree that it should not matter which mode it is in before putting it to sleep. At that point there is no screen refresh or front light.

One thing that can happen is that the sleeping Kindle will (I think) periodically try to poll Amazon to see if there is content or an update to download (if it is not in Airplane mode). Normally that will not consume a lot of power, but if WiFi signal is weak, or the spectrum is saturated with competing wireless access points (apartment buildings etc.), it can drain power faster because connection gets dropped, it retries etc. It is surprising how variable signal strength can be just moving a few feet, depending on antenna placement, structural features of the building and spectrum contention. So this could account for some variation in overnight battery drain.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

An eInk screen is bistable. It takes no more power to write black than to write white. The only issue I find with inverted mode is that it shows ghosting with enthusiasm. The few times I've tried reading in inverted mode, I've ended up dropping the page refresh to every 3 pages so more nasty flashes as the screen is written white/black/white which does consume more power.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-10-2018 at 09:58 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An eInk screen is bistable. It takes no more power to write black than to write white. The only issue I find with inverted mode is that it shows ghosting with enthusiasm. The few times I've tried reading in inverted mode, I've ended up dropping the page refresh to every 3 pages so more nasty flashes as the screen is written white/black/white which does consume more power.
Just curious, what was the last device you tried it on? I've been using it on a Glo HD (fiction / no images only) with page refresh set to 20, and it seems fine to me.*

* I am not picky.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just curious, what was the last device you tried it on? I've been using it on a Glo HD (fiction / no images only) with page refresh set to 20, and it seems fine to me.*

* I am not picky.
The last one I tried it on for more than just testing that it worked was the original H2O. I haven't bothered to actually read in inverted mode on my KA1 or Clara HD. For me, inverted mode is cold pancakes and no honey.

I tend to notice and be annoyed by ghosting in either normal or inverted mode.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The last one I tried it on for more than just testing that it worked was the original H2O. I haven't bothered to actually read in inverted mode on my KA1 or Clara HD. For me, inverted mode is cold pancakes and no honey.

I used to notice ghosting more with older hardware, but not so much recently. I do see it after an image, and not so much when doing straight reading. Maybe I have just lowered my expectations.

FWIW, I like nightmode.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Unfortunately when I turn my inverted mode on, my Oasis insists on turning the light on minimum up so high that it is unusable bright. In the dark it looks more like grey and nowhere close to black. So I settled for regular mode with light at 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The brightness level of the front-light will affect power usage. If invert mode also reduces brightness level (I can imagine one would want it to be at least a little lower with black background), then that will save some power.
According to DuckieTigger's post #12 in this thread, Amazon took the opposite tack and boosts the brightness, even from the lowest setting.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Amazon and/or e-ink have done a really good job of virtually eliminating ghosting on the Kindle Oasis 7". Inverted mode is pretty much blemish free (but is a bit on the gray side).
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
As mentioned in a General Discussions thread, floaters are a lot less noticeable on a screen with a dark background.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote