Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #61
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah but that's the point we need to pluck him and re-arrange them.

You know........for what he did.
Well if they gave him the chair for his murderous holiday hijinks he'd end up as fried chicken.
I imagine he'll get quite the exit in whatever sequel is written. I'll be looking forward to reading it when the time comes. I never did understand why Mr. Jellby was so helpful in getting claims settled in favor of the policy holder. Hmm, maybe I should re-read the mystery again.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I never did understand why Mr. Jellby was so helpful in getting claims settled in favor of the policy holder. Hmm, maybe I should re-read the mystery again.
I said the same thing to "Agatha" as "she" was writing it. That is very out of character... insurance agents/adjusters will do whatever they can to deny claims, not approve them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I said the same thing to "Agatha" as "she" was writing it. That is very out of character... insurance agents/adjusters will do whatever they can to deny claims, not approve them.

BOb
Yes, that's their job!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #64
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

BOb
I assumed it was a red herring/false clue - we are led to believe that Alex and Jelby are conspiring to claim all the insurance money as a motive for the murder.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I assumed it was a red herring/false clue - we are led to believe that Alex and Jelby are conspiring to claim all the insurance money as a motive for the murder.
Possibly, but it didn't fit. Insurance agents can't work a case where they are personally involved I wouldn't think. I mean a lawyer can't be involved in a will where he/she stands to inherit and I would imagine the same would apply to insurance as well. That would be like putting a fox in charge of a hen house.
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #66
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Possibly, but it didn't fit. Insurance agents can't work a case where they are personally involved I wouldn't think. I mean a lawyer can't be involved in a will where he/she stands to inherit and I would imagine the same would apply to insurance as well. That would be like putting a fox in charge of a hen house.
I assumed we were meant to think that Alex was the beneficiary, and that Jelby was going to get a share of the insurance payout from Alex, not that he would benefit directly.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #67
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:

BOb
Some folks just can't appreciate irony! Or a really slimy red herring disguised as an insurance agent. Mr. Jellby both put a spotlight on the clues, while at the same time dismissing them - oft times literally. Just a wee bit of misdirection.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #68
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Some folks just can't appreciate irony! Or a really slimy red herring disguised as an insurance agent. Mr. Jellby both put a spotlight on the clues, while at the same time dismissing them - oft times literally. Just a wee bit of misdirection.
Didn't work though in the end. When he opened the microwave door and 'fragrant' steam came out I knew something was bogus. Heated plastic has a smell that's anything but fragrant and of course it does take a while to prepare a chicken for cooking, and one roasted chicken looks much like another. Then there was the way HarryT got it. The umbrella being used as a fulcrum = mechanical advantage which means the killer had to find a way to push the bookcase over besides brute strength. In fact all the victims got it via ways that weren't really physically demanding. Finally all the victims were easy to identify except Poohbear_nc. So I was pretty sure he was the guilty party. Not 100% sure but he was the one I chose as the killer. And the Agatha Christie similarities also seemed to point to you (in my mind) of course.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #69
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And Jellby had some of the funniest lines in the story!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep. One of my favorites is:

"You chose not to purchase the 'MobileRead Holiday Homicidal Havoc' package...so a murder is not covered under your policy."
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Sure, so now it's the readers fault. I guess I wasn't sophisticated enough to understand the nuance of the characters.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #72
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
And unfortunately I cannot attribute them to myself

I always though that my character was acting as an interested party, he's after all part of the mod team as well...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #73
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

I always though that my character was acting as an interested party, he's after all part of the mod team as well...
So he was demonstrating loyalty to MR and not to the insurance company where he worked.

Very admirable.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #74
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Sure, so now it's the readers fault. I guess I wasn't sophisticated enough to understand the nuance of the characters.

BOb
Didn't I kill you already?

[It's always the readers' fault!]
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #75
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

Since mods aren't paid, Jellby had to moonlight as an insurance agent!