Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I added the 4.1.0 link to the pastebin and snipurl, but they still need a matching 4.1.0 kernel to go with them.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I added the 4.1.0 link to the pastebin and snipurl, but they still need a matching 4.1.0 kernel to go with them.
Maybe give them the link to your kernel extractor script?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #33
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I've already PM'd Solaris on how to extract the kernels.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #34
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
It would be much simpler - and safer - to "extract" the kernel from the official 4.1.0 update.bin using kindletool This is the only way to ensure that future upgrades will work smoothly.

Explanation: While it is possible to determine the size of the actual "required" kernel image, the kernels bundled in update files are usually padded with 0xFF bytes up to some boundary (IIRC, that's *usually*, but not always, the next multiple of 0x400). And, all the updates I've seen so far check for MD5 sums of the installed kernel (*including* the padding) to verify that the device is in a "known good" state, before performing the update. If you now flash a kernel obtained using the getkernels tool, that kernel *might* actually be shorter than what the update file provides, resulting in some of the "padding" bytes not being overwritten. And if you're out of luck, the next update will fail to install, because the md5sum of "kernel+padding" on the device does not match the expected one. I've seen it happen.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point, ixtab.

I've uploaded the main kernel extracted from the official 4.1 update to the same location as the root filesystem image.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #36
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The pastebin and snipurl now contain both the 4.1.0 kernel and main partition URLs. Thanks for providing those URLs. I added a note that the black K4 needs at least version 4.1.0.

I suppose the getkernels tool should add 0xFF padding to match what the updates use. It may need to be updated to support that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #37
Gaz81
Gaz81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks folks, I have now got a black K4NT up and running and registered.
Gaz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #38
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz81 View Post
Thanks folks, I have now got a black K4NT up and running and registered.
I added your your K4B (black) debricking success report to the list in the simple debricking sticky thread first post.

P.S. All K4s are Non-Touch, so the NT in "K4NT" is not useful. It is just a K4 (or K4B for a black K4 when you need to distinguish it from a silver K4).

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-04-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #39
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
Quote:
The pastebin and snipurl now contain both the 4.1.0 kernel and main partition URLs. Thanks for providing those URLs. I added a note that the black K4 needs at least version 4.1.0.
First I wanted to greet everyone. I see you guys are awsome and you realy help people out.

I have perhaps stupid question but, where can I find this pastebin mentioned above? I've just purchased K4B and I'm gathering the knowledge to unbrick it.

Cheers
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #40
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
First I wanted to greet everyone. I see you guys are awsome and you realy help people out.

I have perhaps stupid question but, where can I find this pastebin mentioned above? I've just purchased K4B and I'm gathering the knowledge to unbrick it.

Cheers
Kindle Developer's Corner forum, "simple debricking" sticky thread, first post, References and Links section, "debricking repair" images.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #41
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
Thanks a million
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
Gaz81
Gaz81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
I added your your K4B (black) debricking success report to the list in the simple debricking sticky thread first post.

P.S. All K4s are Non-Touch, so the NT in "K4NT" is not useful. It is just a K4 (or K4B for a black K4 when you need to distinguish it from a silver K4).
Cheers geekmaster :-)
Gaz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #43
dsmid
Linux devotee

I've just flashed & registered my black demo Kindle from ebay.
Thanks to everybody who made this possible.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I've just flashed & registered my black demo Kindle from ebay.
Thanks to everybody who made this possible.
Added to "the list". Thanks.

Some silver K4 demos do not successfully register after debricking. It is good to know that your black K4 demo registered successfully...

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.