Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Metadata updated in file versus in DB

What determines when Calibre updates the metafile in a file, versus in its database? Experimental evidence seems to indicate the following:

* Updating fields in the DB will not update any existing files.

* Converting a file from one format to another writes the database metadata to the new file, rather than grabbing it from the original file "as is".

(OPF metadata not represented in the database will be copied over, at least from LIT to ePub - though since I don't have SQLite set up, I don't know if these are stored-but-hidden or actually copied at conversion time.)

* Sending a file to a device usually updates the metadata (but not always - fields blank in the database but set in the file will not be cleared).

Does this sound correct? I've already accepted that I'm going to have to nuke-and-burn my existing Calibre DB, but I want to make sure that I design it "right" around my needs when I'm rebuilding it.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
sending/saving and converting update metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert