Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
Images don't keep size (html to EPUB)

I am enjoying the Calibre tool. Table of Contents, and text features are doing very well. I am building an E-book of my grandparents' lives and of my late aunt for the family - which contain a lot of pictures. I am starting in HTML.

I am looking for settings (or another way) in Calibre that control image size better. I have already resized the images to be generally the size I wish - and the original HTML specifies the height and width of the images.

However when Calibre converts the HTML to EPUB, it seems to strip the height, width specifications of the images, and then "sometimes" (especially when the ebook is viewed on an iPad), the images are found to have expanded much larger than planned, and are pixelated, and grainy. However sometimes, they are fine, when viewing the eBook on my Samsung Android tablet and also smartphone.

How can I control the sizes of images? How can I inconsistent presentation of pictures (sometimes they explode and sometimes they don't).

Yes, I am using the iPad output profile. (I have experimented with several).
I am viewing the final ePub book on BlueFire Reader on Android, and iPad.
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
I have figured out how to solve the problem.
Within my HTML editor, where I create the layout, if I shrink the pictures to a smaller size (effectively specifying a size), those size settings seems to transfer to Calibre - even though they are not explicitly mentioned in the HTML code within Calibre - and the pictures retain a smaller size.

Whew! A simple fix! I am consistently finding this fix with Calibre 2.8
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I'm not at home right now to locate this setting in calibre (there are a lot of them), but somewhere, there is a calibre setting where you select your "preferred output device" (or something like that). When calibre does a conversion to epub, any images that have a larger resolution than the screen size of this device are downsampled/resized down to this resolution.

IIRC, if you pick "tablet" for this device, calibre doesn't resize images at all in conversions (which is what I have set because I don't want images automatically resized in my epubs).
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, image