Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
New hardware and software

The latest news from Bookeen (via their blog) states that not only has the software been updated but also the hardware. Maybe the navigation button is easier to use.

Quote:
Monday, May 5, 2008
With this new batch, Bookeen has introduced some hardware and software improvements in Cybook. These elements will be explained and developed in a future post.
No mention of when existing users will get the new software.

Last edited by M.H.; 05-05-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added link to blog
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Most frustrating. It's like being a kid and being shown a wrapped package and being told "not for two weeks". Argggh......
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The full message reads :

It’s been 6 months that we brought the Cybook Gen3 to you. Even with being 4 time out-of-stock, we do continue to share with you the same passion for digital reading. Today, we are excited to announce that Cybook is in stock and ready for shipment within 14 business days.

With this new batch, Bookeen has introduced some hardware and software improvements in Cybook. These elements will be explained and developed in a future post.

Thanks for all your support during this first half of year!

Enjoy your reading with the Cybook.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well spotted! Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I understand that due to hardware changes, new firmware will only be installable on Cybooks from this new batch?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I understand that due to hardware changes, new firmware will only be installable on Cybooks from this new batch?
Please don't spread misinformation. Bookeen have publically stated that there will be a new firmware release for existing Gen3s - look at their blog!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Yes, but nevertheless pretty disappointing Bookeen shows again more priority for selling new devices instead of finishing their software update for existing owners.
And, as I read it Krystian only writes something as his interpretation, you cannot judge that as misinformation!
As a matter of fact I was so astonished to see this new blog entry, that I got more or less the same impression.

Last edited by BarnOwl; 05-05-2008 at 12:07 PM.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I agree with you - it's VERY disappointing.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with you - it's VERY disappointing.
I am so thrilled to note that we at NAEB - supposedly a valued reseller for Bookeen - have not had a clue this was happening.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Anyone care to speculate what's changed in the hardware? My guess would be more memory and a faster CPU.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
I would guess that the HW changes are in exterior like buttons.

As long as the HW changes are for the better I think that this is a smart move by Bookeen since there are some shortcomings in the current UI that it would not make sense to reproduce in too many batches.

Hopefully for the current owners (me included) the improvements will not make it necessary with different firmware versions for the gen 3 and the gen 3.1.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
I would guess that the HW changes are in exterior like buttons.
Possible but doubtful. More likely nothing in the exterior case size or tooling/buttons has been changed. Instead existing parts will have been updated... like someone said above. Possibilities...

More NAND memory build in
Possible support for SDHC cards
Faster processor
New eInk controller (Epson thing?)
Better material for case and/or better finish

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't know what the hardware will be, but I have a guess. We know that the Cybook is essentially the same as Netronix Linux based 6" reader. I bet Derek already has the next gen Cybook sitting next to his current one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't know what the hardware will be, but I have a guess. We know that the Cybook is essentially the same as Netronix Linux based 6" reader. I bet Derek already has the next gen Cybook sitting next to his current one.
No, that would be the EB-200/210! And Netronix isn't taking orders for those just yet.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
pirkner
pirkner began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
New Hardware - Netronix device

I have ordered my CyBook Gen3 last Tuesday with justread.de - still waiting.

Looking at the Netronix specs of their reader (DS-EB-100) you see the following differences:

Gen 3: Samsung® S3C2410 ARM920T 200MHz
Netronix: Samsung S3C2440 AM9 400MHz

Gen3 Size: 188 x 118 x 8.5 mm, weight: 174g
Netronix: 198mm(H)x128mm(W)x9mm(D), weight: 210g

Gen3: 166 dpi
Netronix: 170dpi

Gen3: SD Card up to 2GB
Netronix: SD Card (expandable to 4GB (SDHC ?))

Larger memory in the Netronix.

Of course I have no hint the netronix device is in fact the CyBook Gen3.1 but it sounds like a more powerful device, 20% heavyier and 20% larger.

Should the Netronix be in fact the CyBook Gen3.1 I have to say I am a little disappointed should I receive the 'old' version (which will be the case).

Last edited by pirkner; 05-05-2008 at 04:40 PM.
pirkner is offline   Reply With Quote