Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #16
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
It should get 5" screen, Android 4.4 and I suggested to equip it with 3G (instead of currently 2G) and perhaps add some hardware of regular smartphones like camera and GPS receiver. What do you think about?
In my opinion, all of the listed features are necessary. Let me explain: few people will buy this phone as a supplement to their existing smartphone. If they just need it for reading, they could buy a small e-reader for much cheaper. The e-ink phone should be aimed at those who want to replace their LCD phone - either permanently, or in certain situations. The main advantages of an e-ink screen are daylight visibility and a long battery life, so we should consider users who spend a lot of time outdoors, and/or don't have a regular power supply.
Camera: useful for taking photos in bright sunlight (when on an LCD screen you don't even know what you're shooting), but also for reading QR codes, snapping text for OCR, etc.
GPS: For hiking, cycling, etc when there is no access to power, or the sun is too strong to see an LCD screen.
To summarize, I think it would be a mistake to leave out any of the "standard" features and further limit an already small market. In fact, as an idea for future models, I think Onyx should consider adding IP67 ruggedness to further enhance the outdoor usability of this phone.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
In my opinion, all of the listed features are necessary. Let me explain: few people will buy this phone as a supplement to their existing smartphone. If they just need it for reading, they could buy a small e-reader for much cheaper. The e-ink phone should be aimed at those who want to replace their LCD phone - either permanently, or in certain situations. The main advantages of an e-ink screen are daylight visibility and a long battery life, so we should consider users who spend a lot of time outdoors, and/or don't have a regular power supply.
So far, I fully agree with Jmirko. In addition, the e-ink phone could serve as ebook reader while travelling, when you prefer to leave your 7'' or 10'' model at home.

Quote:
Camera: useful for taking photos in bright sunlight (when on an LCD screen you don't even know what you're shooting)
I have difficulties to imagine taking photos with a e-ink screen device. First, the refresh rate of the screen will probably be far too low to show what you will get before you take the shot. Second, after taking the photo the screen will probably not be able to show you if the shot has been satisfactory or not (e.g. concerning brightness, abrasiveness, colours).

Quote:
GPS: For hiking, cycling, etc when there is no access to power, or the sun is too strong to see an LCD screen.
In my opinion, serving as a navigation system, the e-ink screen of the device needs to refresh permanently. As far as I know, an-ink screen is not the proper technique for permanent refreshment.

Therefore, ONYX should continue trying to successfully fill the niche besides the conventional multimedia smartphone.

P.S.
for the successor of the E43 quadband may also be an issue.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #18
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
You make a good point about refresh rate, but I disagree with your conclusion. I think those functions are still useful without continuous refresh - e.g. taking photos of static objects/text/qr codes, or showing your location on the map when hiking/cycling.
In my opinion, the additional cost of those components is less than their additional benefit.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the lads at Onyx will decide :-)
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #19
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
You make a good point about refresh rate, but I disagree with your conclusion. I think those functions are still useful without continuous refresh - e.g. taking photos of static objects/text/qr codes, or showing your location on the map when hiking/cycling.
In my opinion, the additional cost of those components is less than their additional benefit.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the lads at Onyx will decide :-)
I agree with you. Besides, refreshing rate in new onyx devices is actually fast enough to display simple animations like used in GPS apps and for taking photos of static objects and display them afterwards (in grey scale of course). I will try to convince Onyx executives to think about this features in new Onyx Phones.

As I said I ve tried the current E43 a couple of months and I missed in this time camera, GPS and FM receiver of my regular smartphone really badly

Last edited by Booxtor; 06-30-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
For those of you who would like to have a quick look at the E43: I did post some pics over in this thread.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 09-28-2015 at 03:48 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
E43 Media phone successor?

Obviously, E43 turned out to be a disaster. Due to IMEI issues, the phone function of this gadget is believed to malfunction - at least in some countries.

Still I am convinced that there is a substantial market for an eink phone. Many people do not use video and games on their smartphone, but would appreciate lower battery consumption, better visibility outdoors and a lower price (since video and games require high performance, which makes the smartphone expensive).

Does anybody know if there will be a successor to E43? Are there other manufacturers who are presently working on an eink phone?

@Booxtor: Do you have insider information about a E43 follow-up? Unfortunately, the contact site of onyx-international.com/en does not work for weeks now, so I could not ask by myself.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote