Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
tBunnyMan
Enthusiast
tBunnyMan began at the beginning.

Device: nook Simple GlowLight
Question How Do I? Fail silently when no articles to DL

Is there any hack or other way to cleanly fail if there is no articles to download?

I understand that a completely silent failure is bad since the user can't tell why they didn't get their book but it's troublesome to have to check all the exceptions when no book generated is expected from time to time.
False Negatives desensitize the user.

Ex.
The Pocket plugin: The articles can be depleted by the user and if they don't refill it before the next scheduled download they get thrown exceptions, not clean errors. Currently I raise the exception but logging the problem and returning an empty list makes Calibre error out just as hard.
tBunnyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way to fail silently. I can't think of any case where that is a good idea. Say you download from Pocket and nothing happens, how is that better than an error message telling you that download failed?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have added a method to fail and display a simple message to the user instead of an error dialog. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/12162

If you want to use it in your recipe and have your recipe remain compatible with older calibre versions, do this

Code:
if hasattr(self, 'abort_recipe_processing'):
   self.abort_recipe_processing('Pocket download aborted as no new articles found')
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
tBunnyMan
Enthusiast
tBunnyMan began at the beginning.

Device: nook Simple GlowLight
Thank you so very much for this feature!

I will get the plugin updated soon!
tBunnyMan is offline   Reply With Quote