Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
theGsayeth
bling bling
theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: amazon kindle
Amazon.com to sell cheaper Kindle e-reader, but you'll have to see on-screen ads!

Just announced!

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Amazon.com Inc. is dropping the price on its Kindle e-reader, but the change comes with a trade-off: On-screen ads.

The online retailer was set to announce Tuesday that the new Kindle with Special Offers will cost $114 — $25 less than the currently lowest-priced Kindle — and include advertisements on the bottom of the device's home page and on its screen savers. Seattle-based Amazon will start shipping the newest Kindle on May 3, and it will also be sold in Target and Best Buy stores on that date.
What do you think? Is it worth having ads if it means cutting the price by $25?
theGsayeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sounds good. Ads are coming anyway, so why not get a deal?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
There's another thread on this that just popped up. As I said in that thread, I don't see the big draw of the device, if the price difference is only $25. I think that if they could get it under $100, that would break a psychological barrier that would get some more people to try a Kindle, but $114 just doesn't sound like that sweet spot.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
pay less and get special offers to buy $20 gift cards for $10 (essentially half price on books or other items at Amazon)?

Where do I sign up?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
theGsayeth
bling bling
theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: amazon kindle
I agree bhartman36. It's not enough to deal with stupid ads flashing on the home screen and screensaver. Besides, I wonder how they'll handle people who can hack the kindle.
theGsayeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
I don't mind the ads if everything is cheaper

// guy with DX-G, thinking of getting a smaller K3 for book reading
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If someone is unwilling/unable to pay $139 for the kindle, I don't think s/he will do it for $114.

$89 and you've got a deal.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
$25 off? Give me a break.

Sell me your ad-supported Kindle for $79 and we'll talk. I'm shocked this piddly discount even made the news. Sorry, but this may be the silliest discount I've ever seen for what you get - to stare at years worth of ads.

Does this suggest that there will never be ads on the Wifi / 3G versions? I'll raise hell if my 3G has some crap from Visa flashing across the bottom of the screen. I can see the eBay auctions already:

"RARE Ad-Free Kindle 3G! Mint condition! Only $450 BIN!!

Strange move by Amazon...very strange.

Yes, I know they are subsidizing the cost of the unit for the ads, but still. It's not a good sign for a dedicated book reader. There aren't ads scrolling across paperbacks and I don't want them on my Kindle.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Rest assured, that $114 number was arrived at by careful consideration of expected sales, profitability, and supply chain capacity. $114 is the perfect price in every way.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGsayeth View Post
Just announced!

What do you think? Is it worth having ads if it means cutting the price by $25?
I don't know. My first reaction is no, but hey, this is how radio and tv started...still are....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I just checked out Amazon to have a look at the device. What I think might make the ad idea palatable for some people is the fact that Amazon will let people vote on ads and take people's ad preference into account. I think the screensaver ads are something most people will be able to tune out. How often do you really pay attention to your current screensaver? And the picture of the ad at the bottom of the Home screen doesn't look egregious. but I still think $25 isn't enough of a distinction in order to justify putting ads on the Kindle. I would much rather they offer a year of Amazon Prime with a Kindle 3 Wifi (or even the 3G version).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I wonder if all the work with jailbreak and alternate firmwares could wipe this thing clean. I use duokan quite a bit... so potentially this could be a $115 priced WiFi for me that functions the same.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I wonder if all the work with jailbreak and alternate firmwares could wipe this thing clean. I use duokan quite a bit... so potentially this could be a $115 priced WiFi for me that functions the same.
Surely they have anticipated this line of thinking. Then again, maybe not.

I agree with the comments about the price not being low enough. Would like to see it under 100 for ads. Still, I'm glad I bought the K3 wifi before this deal was out.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
I hate ads, so I'm more than happy to pay the extra 25$ to get one without ads (if I didn't have one). But it would be cool if you could buy a cheaper one with ads and then remove the ads infestation on it afterward, if it was without any consequences, saving 25 bucks. It could potential void the warranty in some cases, but it wouldn't be an illegal thing to do.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Gawd awful! I read to avoid the world of advertising - hate ads. No sale.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote