Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I have used screen-swipe devices, okay?
I know the iPad faithful swear by swiping and faux-paper page turns.
You just press on the side of the screen where you want the page to turn. You don't have to swipe. "Click" the screen instead of a button. Only the entire screen is the button making it comfortable for everyone (not everyone's thumb will rest in the same place).

I show off the iBook page turn when I'm showing my iPad to someone. But I never actually swipe the book when I'm reading. You can set the transition time to zero and have no animation at all.

Just sayin'

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
If I get one, it will be to use in conjunction with my nook, not in place of it. Ultimately I'd like to see it take over for my Palm T/X, but size might be an issue for that to happen. But I won't be making a decision until the new year, once I get some hands on time and watch for tech issues.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think a lot of you are way more tech savvy (and therefore nitpicky) than the general population who are going to be seeing this new Nook in Best Buy and Walmart. The BN name gives it credibility as a reading device, the size is attractive, the color is splashy and flashy, the specs look good. I'm a cautious person and I'm not rushing to preorder, but I am really tempted.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think a lot of you are way more tech savvy (and therefore nitpicky) than the general population who are going to be seeing this new Nook in Best Buy and Walmart. The BN name gives it credibility as a reading device, the size is attractive, the color is splashy and flashy, the specs look good. I'm a cautious person and I'm not rushing to preorder, but I am really tempted.
Now that iPads are going to be available at both Best Buy and Walmart, people are going to see a much more capable tablet with a much better color experience a couple of aisles over. Yes, the iPad is more expensive, but it has the app store and so much more. I think the Nook Color is going to push people to the ipad and away from the Nook eink (which is too bad).
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Now that iPads are going to be available at both Best Buy and Walmart, people are going to see a much more capable tablet with a much better color experience a couple of aisles over. Yes, the iPad is more expensive, but it has the app store and so much more. I think the Nook Color is going to push people to the ipad and away from the Nook eink (which is too bad).
I don't think so. The average consumer doesn't have $500 to throw at a color reader, whereas $250 is well within range.

Three things prevent me from getting an iPad:
1- it's $500 and overpriced
2- lack of USB port, SD card slot, flash support, etc
3- it's too large
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
The Nook Color is not a colored e-Ink reader, but it's not a tablet PC either. Like the current Nook, it'll likely be way more locked down than a typical Android tablet. As far as the LCD, it's not a make-or-break with me as I read off an LCD screen at work all day, but I do absolutely LOVE my e-Ink display and its battery life. To me, it looks like the big non-e-reader win is that you can get a viable 3G web browser with no monthly fee.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
3- it's too large
I totally agree. If a tablet/ereader/xxxPad doesn't fit in my pretty purse, it does not get my money. The tablet is supposed to provide portability so we can surf the web, read a book and share videos/pictures with friends at anytime and anywhere. The iPad is too BIG and so is any netbook. I'm only carrying one thing around when I go out and that is my purse. Any new toy that I want to show off has to be contained there. The iPad is probably good for someone who wants to leave the device always at home or doesn't mind carrying it around like a notebook. For me, the size of the iPad is a deal breaker.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
NOOK Color is a Tablet PC not a colored E-Ink Rreader!
Is it though? I'm assuming that you can't get outside the reader interface without jailbreaking the device, which is something most consumers are unable and unwilling to do (we're not a representative sample here at MR). Even after the color nook is inevitably rooted, B&N has shown that they can and will work to frustrate modders.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation, but I just don't see how the color nook can be considered a tablet when 99%+ of the buyers will never see any tablet or slate-like functionality.

It's a decent enough looking LCD color reader (and I'm guessing that's what all the reports of 7-inch panels coming out of Asia were about, not a smaller iPad), but its price point is a problem. Yes, it's cheaper than the iPad, but a lot less functional. Yes, it's got color which the Kindle doesn't, but it costs nearly 2x as much. B&N must believe there's a market there, but I'm wondering if it's really a viable product slot.

Last edited by carld; 10-27-2010 at 02:47 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well I think it will be a while before this shakes out, so I think I'll give this a try:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...at=CLR&cpc=CLR

**It is not an answer, way too heavy and CE apps are harder to find than I expected.**

For a backlit bedside device with an OS that I hope to work with (and most important
for a device that will be zipping through a charge like this one will) a charging stand;
this might do until something with a decent resolution and a good battery life comes
along. (Can we say Mirasol anyone?)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-31-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I totally agree. If a tablet/ereader/xxxPad doesn't fit in my pretty purse, it does not get my money. The tablet is supposed to provide portability so we can surf the web, read a book and share videos/pictures with friends at anytime and anywhere. The iPad is too BIG and so is any netbook. I'm only carrying one thing around when I go out and that is my purse. Any new toy that I want to show off has to be contained there. The iPad is probably good for someone who wants to leave the device always at home or doesn't mind carrying it around like a notebook. For me, the size of the iPad is a deal breaker.
It fits in my wife's purse. Anybody who ever carried a Vogue magazine or a Bride's magazine around, can carry an iPad around. It's about the size of a legal pad of paper.

Surely those of use who've ever carried a hard back book (like a Harry Potter book) with us, can carry an iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #26
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It fits in my wife's purse. Anybody who ever carried a Vogue magazine or a Bride's magazine around, can carry an iPad around. It's about the size of a legal pad of paper.

Surely those of use who've ever carried a hard back book (like a Harry Potter book) with us, can carry an iPad.

Lee
It probably fits in your wife's purse but not in my purse. No, I never carry around a Vogue magazine or any book that size. If I need to do that, I'll be on a business trip and I'll be carrying a brief case.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Lee
As a guy, I don't carry a purse. So if I'm going to carry something as large as an iPad, then I'll just carry my netbook; which is more functional, half the price, just a bit larger, and only a pound heavier.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't think so. The average consumer doesn't have $500 to throw at a color reader, whereas $250 is well within range.

3- it's too large
I agree totally. My netbook costs much less, is about the same size, and is a fully functioning computer--where's the advantage to an iPad, other than the possible coolness factor? I had been thinking of an iPod Touch, but it's too small and expensive and lacks a card slot. This new Nook offers something in between at a pretty acceptable price.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I agree totally. My netbook costs much less, is about the same size, and is a fully functioning computer--where's the advantage to an iPad, other than the possible coolness factor?
Size, weight, battery life, touch screen, security, super-easy app installation.

Once the iPad gets multitasking, and if they actually bother to put a real filesystem on it, the functionality gap between an iPad / tablet will narrow considerably.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Size, weight, battery life, touch screen, security, super-easy app installation.

Once the iPad gets multitasking, and if they actually bother to put a real filesystem on it, the functionality gap between an iPad / tablet will narrow considerably.
Netbook is only a little heavier, why do I need a touch screen when I have a full keyboard, I get a full day (10-14 hours) on a battery charge with my ASUS. Security? I haven't had any problems. Apps? I'm a Neanderthal and haven't used one yet--and haven't felt the lack.

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor