Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Folders please!

My beloved 505 is dead and I've had two bad experiences with used units as replacements, so I've decided to move on. My requirements are:

1. E-ink not LCD
2. Folder-based organization
3. SDHC slot (preferably not micto or mini)
4. User-replaceable battery
5. Epub

I believe the Neo and BeBook fit these requirements. Any others? Any comments regarding fit and finish, reliablity, etc.

Thanks for any help. I'm using my phone as a Reader now (Epic 4G). It's great in a pinch, but won't replace the Sony.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 10-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Pocketbook line.
Most folks seem very pleased with theirs; check the forum.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If the SD card MUST be non-micro or mini, you can buy a Pocketbook 301. If it's not a mandatory requirement, you can open your search to other Pocketbooks.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
The nook after v 1.5 in november will be your best choice
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I gather, the firmware update won't add the ability to support folders. The OP seems to really want them...
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
From what I gather, the firmware update won't add the ability to support folders. The OP seems to really want them...
Folders are a must-have. I don't mind hacking or rooting to get them though.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa

If you don't mind hacking the device, then of course you're much freer, eventually you can choose almost anything. However, Pocketbook, Cybook and Astak devices use folders natively.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
The Iriver meets all your requirements with one exception. The battery is not one that is intended to be replaced by the user. However, there's a guy in the Iriver forum who has done it and maintains that it's no big deal. And changing the battery isn't something you do every day.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Sony would miss 4) except for the 950.
And folders are called collections and are one-level only.
So, PocketBook maybe a better fit.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The nook after v 1.5 in november will be your best choice
I honestly cannot see how the nook, which does not support folders in any form whatsoever, can be the "best choice" on a thread called "Folders, please", in which the author states that folders are his #1 priority. Can you explain?

Last edited by HarryT; 10-23-2010 at 06:25 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Sony would miss 4) except for the 950.
And folders are called collections and are one-level only.
Collections/tags are *not* folders; they are not direct representations of an actual folder based filing system. They are, instead, arbitrary groupings within a single location; useful, but no substitute for the sophisticated onboard file-management found on folder-based systems.

The key difference is that folder-based systems store the files physically in the designated folder structure. Collection/tag-based systems use a single storage location and use the tags as atributes to sort and organize the single repository. Essentially, they use a single folder with a flat-file database as a front end.

Folder-based systems use the devices file system or a subset/branch of it as their core organization system, not a single predetermined folder.
Folder-based systems let you create, rename, move, or delete entire folder structures from within the device. Some of them, let you create arbitrary link structures (like Windows shortcuts--Pocketbook calls them Favorites) to create an arbitrary parallel organization system independent from the physical location that offers some of the benefits of tags/collections.

The key benefit of tags/collections is that one physical file can be found at mutiple tag "locations" so only one copy is needed. In a pure folder-based system one file can only be found in the one folder where it actually resides. Which is where the link-based structure comes in since it offers an alternative that does allow multiple links to a single physical location for those that like to eat their cake and have it too.

At this point in time, among first and second tier vendors, an insistence on folder-based navigation excludes all Kindles, Nooks, all Sonys, and Kobos. (I have heard Kobo might be dropping their database storage system but I haven't heard if they are going for a true folder-based system or just switching the front end.)

Systems I personally know support folders are: all the Hanlin clones from Aztak and BeBook among others, Bookeens, Jetbooks, and Pocketbooks. And Pocketbook I know to also provide for link-based organization; they call it "Favorites".

I'm sure there are others, it is a fairly common and very useful system to manage large amounts of files (say, on the order of the Gutenberg collection), which is probably why the OP is asking for suggestions.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The JetBook Lite meets most of those requirements. While the screen is an LCD, it isn't backlit so it's about as easy to read as an e-ink screen (although, compared to the Sonys I saw at a Borders about a year ago, the JBL screen is just as easy to read). The batteries are four AAs that are easily replaced in the field (unlike other readers that require a tiny screwdriver to replace the battery). You can use folders. It takes SD and SDHC cards. It reads a variety of formats, including e-pub. I'm not sure of this but I believe later versions will read Sony DRMed e-Pubs; you will have to check at the Ectaco forum on this.

I especially love the ability to use AAs in the JBL. It is easy to carry around a set of spares (carry 16 AAs in my purse anyway for my other electronics, such as my cameras); four AAs take up the same amount of room as a charger for a conventional EBR. I can have a set charging at home while I'm using the JBL away from home. If one uses the newer prechargables, such as the Sanyo Eneloops, one doesn't have to worry about the batteries running down if not used for a while).

I would stay away from anything Astak has right now. The company seems to be having quite a few problems.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly cannot see how the nook, which does not support folders in any form whatsoever, can be the "best choice" on a thread called "Folders, please", in which the author states that folders are his #1 priority. Can you explain?

I honestly can't believe you jumped all over my post without actually reading it. I said AFTER v1.5 which is due out in November which wil provide Folders and a more advanced library organization.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I honestly can't believe you jumped all over my post without actually reading it. I said AFTER v1.5 which is due out in November which wil provide Folders and a more advanced library organization.
I asked that before. Where does it say that folders are going to be supported in the 1.5 version? I've found nothing about it in the Nook subforums.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I asked that before. Where does it say that folders are going to be supported in the 1.5 version? I've found nothing about it in the Nook subforums.
here you go

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20019878-1.html

'While Barnes & Noble didn't give much in the way of details, it did say that search on the device would be improved, and new features such as customizable library organization and password protection would be added. Also, the update will finally allow you to read continuously "