Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
No, I don't think there's a rule. It's just one of my own personal curmudgeonly quirks. As an IT guy, paranoia is part of my job description!
There is no rule against tinyURL. But given that we do have people who don't click tinyURLs and the software does support full URLs, there's no reason to use TinyURL other then to maybe hide something.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm not Sir Bruce but the reason Sony and B&N are getting grief (or being denigrated) is because they didn't learn the lesson from Amazon running out of stock 2 years in a row (IMO).
B&N we know just didn't get it done in time.

But what I think for Sony is that they just sold too well to keep stock. That and the fact that there are more eink readers out then ever. So that keeps the availablity of eink screens at an all time low.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
I'm not Sir Bruce but the reason Sony and B&N are getting grief (or being denigrated) is because they didn't learn the lesson from Amazon running out of stock 2 years in a row (IMO).
I could buy that if it was mentioned in that propaganda piece, but it wasn't, so it seemed pretty obvious that it was conveniently - accidentally, no doubt - overlooked.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do we have a link that's not hidden? I don't click hidden URLs as I have no idea where they go. Please post the full URL.
Here you go... the full link:

Dumbass Kindle propaganda piece.

P.S.

Don't het me wrong, I have nothing in particular against the Kindle (although when it comes to some of the 'features' in its service, YMMV), but I have a hard time buying all of Amazon's wonderfully non-specific milestones they announce for it.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I could buy that if it was mentioned in that propaganda piece, but it wasn't, so it seemed pretty obvious that it was conveniently - accidentally, no doubt - overlooked.
Well, it seems that you inferred "denigration" based on this:

Quote:
Both posted early successes, which quickly became problems. The two companies sold out of inventory and won't be able to ship new orders until the new year.
I inferred the reason for the "denigration" based on this:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Amazon, an old pro in this market, has managed its supply chain well and can continue to fulfill as the orders come rolling in. Not being able to deliver by Christmas puts both Sony and Barnes & Noble at a disadvantage, forcing them to cede customers to the giant of online retail.
So we are both right/wrong. The article is just too short and leaves out details on both sides.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
I inferred the reason for the "denigration" based on this:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Amazon, an old pro in this market, has managed its supply chain well and can continue to fulfill as the orders come rolling in. Not being able to deliver by Christmas puts both Sony and Barnes & Noble at a disadvantage, forcing them to cede customers to the giant of online retail.
So we are both right/wrong. The article is just too short and leaves out details on both sides.

If you read that without any knowledge of the background, it comes across as 'the two newcomers clearly didn't have enough know-how to have enough stock, while on the other hand, the old-pro Amazon, as usual, has yet again perfectly managed their stock to demand.'

That interpretation would be seriously altered if you instead admitted 'while on the other hand, the old-pro Amazon, after completely failing to anticipate demand/stock enough inventory... two years running, finally managed to stock enough units this time around to meet demand.'
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That interpretation would be seriously altered if you instead admitted 'while on the other hand, the old-pro Amazon, after completely failing to anticipate demand/stock enough inventory... two years running, finally managed to stock enough units this time around to meet demand.'
Again, article too shot, not enough information on either side.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #23
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Again, article too shot, not enough information on either side.
Which is kind of my whole point regarding Amazon and their amazing, technicolor claims.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Which is kind of my whole point regarding Amazon and their amazing, technicolor claims.

That would be the writer's responsibility to research and provide enough information.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
No, I don't think there's a rule. It's just one of my own personal curmudgeonly quirks. As an IT guy, paranoia is part of my job description!
you should know then at an IT person that almost every one of those url shortening services has a preview mode so you can see the URL before being redirected to it?

For example, go there to put tinyURL into preview mode:

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yep, great, they can put it on by default. And not via cookies, which I purge on a regular basis.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
That would be the writer's responsibility to research and provide enough information.
I'm sorry, but that was pure weapons-grade balonium.

Quote:
Quote:
It looks like the fight for the newest corner of the book market is pretty much decided.
That's not writing... it's propaganda.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that was pure weapons-grade balonium.

That's not writing... it's propaganda.

I agree, the writer's quote was "balonium" but mine was not. The writer *does* have a responsibility to research and provide information (unless it's a blog). Just because the writer failed at the task does not make my statement "balonium".

I also think the title of the article was stupid. It would be bad for the so called "reader wars" to be over (way too soon to be called). The more competition, the more choices the consumer has and hopefully a much better product.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #29
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
I agree, the writer's quote was "balonium" but mine was not. The writer *does* have a responsibility to research and provide information (unless it's a blog). Just because the writer failed at the task does not make my statement "balonium".

I also think the title of the article was stupid. It would be bad for the so called "reader wars" to be over (way too soon to be called). The more competition, the more choices the consumer has and hopefully a much better product.
I owe you an apology... I was replying to your comment, but the "that" I was referring to was the linked article. I can easily see how you got that impression that I meant your comment.

You read exactly what I posted, but what I wrote was poorly phrased.

-JPB

Last edited by Dahak; 12-20-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: changed 'it' to 'that'
Old 12-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
It would be bad for the so called "reader wars" to be over
Like most things, it'll be over before the general public become interested... (see HD-DVD vs BluRay). However, the actual fight is AZW vs ePub, from the reader's side...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote