Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
A custom kernel/e-ink driver module? (You might want to look into how the Kobo/Nook hackers handled this).
Since we now have the build of K3 kernel modules working . . . .

Just dynamically installing a different e-ink driver for the existing three should also be possible.

Should be possible to do the same with the other Kindle models.

Hmm...
With a bit more thought, I guess I didn't have to post this.
Anyone with the skills to write a replacement e-ink driver would know all of the above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #77
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Neither the test scripts nor the one from muness seem to work for me on firmware 3.4 - any pointers would be welcome - on weither this is just me, or the firmware.

And if it is the firmware - is a new script to remove the progress bar feasible?

Last edited by notimp; 09-20-2012 at 03:26 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #78
kapsi
kapsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I second that, progress bar is the last annoying thing in my Kindle. With 3.4 update this script works 1/4 times, and the pages flash a lot.
kapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #79
Madali
Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle 3
I would love if this was fixed too. I didn't even want to upgrade my firmware, but one day, for some reason, it was pushed on to me OTA. Now I'm stuck with the damn percentage at the progress bar and my eye just keeps looking at it.
Madali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #80
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali View Post
I would love if this was fixed too. I didn't even want to upgrade my firmware, but one day, for some reason, it was pushed on to me OTA. Now I'm stuck with the damn percentage at the progress bar and my eye just keeps looking at it.
Ah, did you notice the date of the prior post in this thread?
A lot has happened in the past 8 months.

For instance - you can now have fairly good control over the "forced updates". We have KUAL buttons for that.

I seem to recall posts here on how to deal with the progress bar - but don't have a clue where to find them.
Sharpen your search skills, they are in here somewhere.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #81
Madali
Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Madali is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Well, I'm usually a guy who does a search more than ask, because I usually don't like waiting for a reply, and would rather find it myself.

I've looked into KUAL but didn't notice anything about the progress bar from any of the modules, but your comment will make me look into it again.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #82
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali View Post
Well, I'm usually a guy who does a search more than ask, because I usually don't like waiting for a reply, and would rather find it myself.

I've looked into KUAL but didn't notice anything about the progress bar from any of the modules, but your comment will make me look into it again.

Thanks!
I noticed that, but things are easy to miss on this site.

Ah, what I saw about the progress bar wasn't in the KUAL project.

You might try search posts by eureka - he does a lot of that sort of internal stuff discovery.

(when logged in, leave the top-right search box empty, click search button to get to the "advanced search" page)
Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #83
Madali

I don't think there is any solution given in the forum at the moment regarding this, except maybe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207020
which I had viewed a few months back, but in my mind, it seemed like it would be a battery drain due to "What it does is constantly write whitespace to that area. Unfortunately it does this all the time, not just while you a reading a book."

Anyway, I think one more solution that can exist is for me to install a custom reader, and use that instead.

Or, possible, upgrade my kindle 3 keyboard to a newer kindle, but, I don't know, I'm just so attached to my K3, that I would feel uncomfortable holding a newer device.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #84
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Kindle 4 flash removal

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but does anybody know how to get rid of the refresh flash on a kindle 4 as done here with the kindle 3. At the moment my kindle does the white to black flash every 6 page turn but I hate it. I have searched the forum but have not found any information regarding this issue. Any help is appreciated.
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #85
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think there is software yet that does that. The kernel module is roughly the same as on the K3, though. Internals have changed.

On the other hand, I can think of an approach following the "nightmode" implementation on Kobos. It overrides libc functions in userspace, namely mmap (for the framebuffer memory) and ioctl (to intercept the refresh calls). Porting that to Kindles and adapting it to fiddle with the refresh data would be a way.

Arguably, no need to be a programmer to tackle this.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #86
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I don't think there is software yet that does that. The kernel module is roughly the same as on the K3, though. Internals have changed.

On the other hand, I can think of an approach following the "nightmode" implementation on Kobos. It overrides libc functions in userspace, namely mmap (for the framebuffer memory) and ioctl (to intercept the refresh calls). Porting that to Kindles and adapting it to fiddle with the refresh data would be a way.

Arguably, no need to be a programmer to tackle this.
Ok thats a whole load of terminology that I am not familiar with haha. When you say 'nightmode' are you refering to the changing of the kobo glo's configuration files in order to make the page refresh happen less frequent intervals?

If that could be done with the kindle 4 that would be perfect, ive herd that people have set their Kobo Glo's to page refresh at 50 page turns which would solve my problem.

If it cant be done with the kindle ill look into buying a glo or bookeen reader as I know the bookeens have a no refresh option.
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #87
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
If it cant be done with the kindle ill look into buying a glo or bookeen reader as I know the bookeens have a no refresh option.
Well, it your going to **buy** something to replace your K4 - -

I would suggest you buy Amazon's replacement for the K4, what we call the KT2 and they call a "basic Kindle" (bottom of the product line for 2014).

K4 - buttons + IR touch screen (no front light but most recent e-ink display screen technology).

Then again, you mention a "glo" - which I presume it is the lighted screen model of another manufacturer.

If your not shopping at the bottom of the product line now, go for a PW2 -
This is its second year in production and the middle of the product line.
Capacitive touch screen, front light.

The current top of the line model (we call the KV) is mostly for people who want to have bragging rights to spending a lot of money on their e-reader.
This is its first year in production, and have heard that a lot of people are not satisfied.

Last edited by knc1; 11-20-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #88
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
@knc1: the glo is (was?) made by kobo
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #89
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast
San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Various ideas were tried, in my opinion the current winning solution is mobad's script at
http://pastebin.com/pS83izMi
Which version can be assummed as current?

Quote:
looking forward to an install.bin~~thanks
Is that a possibility?

Quote:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread...
And sorry for that too...

UPDATE!

So, i installed this 'patch' (mod?) and it works quite cool, but with some quite important exceptions:
1. Going back to home page causes screen to become almost blank (i see 'white shadows' while swiching up and down - same with locking and unlocking screen.
2. Going forward in page works flawesly but turning back causes incomplete page (almost white sometimes) to view.

Any ideas?

Last edited by San Zamoyski; 05-25-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: update.
San Zamoyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #90
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I remember there used to be an argument for and against whether no-refresh is good or bad for the health of the eInk screen... but I can't, for the life of me, find it. Anyone know where that thread or post was located?

Also, @San Zamoyski: If you have DX, I recommend this.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote