Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #451
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think I DNF'd it. I found it boring and didn't like the relationship between Eve and Rourke.
I DNF'd the first Eve/Roarke book, too. I've never mentioned it because it made me feel like a freak since so many people adore that series.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #452
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks. I will remember that. It's really hard for me to read this. It's like every crime drama I've ever watch only set in a futuristic world. Nothing new and the lack of world building makes it difficult not to mention the subject matter...serial killers just are not my thing. If this was not Nora Roberts who wrote this it would be a DNF for me. I don't care about the mystery. I like cozies for the humor and light whodunit but this is so not my cup of tea. I fell asleep reading it! That is a first for me. yeah I find it extremely boring and hard to believe Nora wrote this.
There are a lot of serial killers in this series. Every book features at least one murder (Eve is a homicide cop). And as FizzyWater said in some later books we get the various killers' POV.

In some books the cases work for me better than others. But I know my favorites are different than some other long-time fans of the series. That's one of the fun things about the series having some so many books.

But given what you've said you don't like I suspect the series probably isn't for you. As I said, the series will not be for everyone. Nothing bad about that that.

Just FYI, Nora was asked on the old ADWOFF board abnout glides and she said they were "an escalator without the steps, more or less."
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #453
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
I agreed with Penny Watson about the In Death series when I tried to read it a few years ago--except that I liked the futuristic world building more than she did. I DNF'd the first book. I tried listening to it on audiobook and found it even more disturbing because I couldn't gloss over anything. I learned that I need to stick to cozy mysteries only! But if there were sci-fi/futuristic romances with a similar type of world building and less graphic violence I'd read them.
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #454
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
I DNF'd the first Eve/Roarke book, too. I've never mentioned it because it made me feel like a freak since so many people adore that series.
That's my sentiments about Kristen Ashley. Can't make it through a single one of her books. I can't stand her writing style.

I'm about a third of the way through the In Death series. Probably would be moving faster if the OD books were all in Kindle format, but every time I find the next one is only in EPUB, I stop for a long while before I decide to read it. I enjoy the books, but not enough to rush to get to the next one. I've never bought a book in the series.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #455
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I think this is what is so fascinating about reading as a whole and books. Such a personal thing. I love the "In Death" series, I can't get enough of the setting, the cases, Eve, Roarke and all the other characters that come after the first few books. That is what I love so much, the growth with the characters and how we get to know them more and more. It took me a couple of books and I was hooked.
Funny thing is, I can't read Nora Roberts as Nora Roberts, go figure. . I tried I think 3-4 of them, finished one with something about a wedding planner and was bored to tears. The others I never finished. I am very very hard on contemporary romances and I get bored so easy. One even had some sort of paranormal in it, can't remember, they were on some small town island or something, like witches maybe? Didn't like that one either.

The world building in the In Death series to me is gradual. The first one I was a bit confused too, it was hard to imagine how things work, how things look, heck, I couldn't even get a sense of how Eve looked. That changed for me at book 3 or so. I do think there is a lot less description of certain things, yet the cases and the murders and all that is pretty detailed.

The futuristic setting though is one of my favorite things about it. The food vendors and the soy dogs, yikes. There are lots of little things that pop up after the first 2-3 books. Little humor here and there, more back story on the characters, cases that pull the characters together.
For me regular police procedurals don't interest me. Same reason I don't watch any of the CSI shows and such on TV, just no interest. But its the setting and the characters in the in death series that make it for me.
I don't like to read them back to back though, they are what I read in between lets say historical romances to change it up.

I'd say though if one still doesn't like the series after 2-3 books, its probably not going to work.

All I know I want a autochef.

I don't even know how many books there are total, I just keep chugging through one by one. Last one I read was #16 Portrait in Death, so next up is "Imitation in Death". I don't know how far in the series that is. I think there are some 30 odd books? I get annoyed though at the short stories in between, like I do with any series. I don't read short stories and it throws me off when I see the numbers like 17.5 on goodreads. Sometimes its even worse and like 1.2, 1.4, 1,6, yikes.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #456
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I just had something similar... stared reading a book, and after 5-6 pages I just couldn't stand the writing style and had to stop reading and give up on the book. Four times in a row during my lunch break. For the second work day in a row.

I need to find better free books.
Hope you're having better luck today?

BTW, OT, but this Kobo contest SUCKS! Haven't gotten 1 code over 35%. Thankfully I've been saving the 50% Feb. codes because I knew there were new releases I'd have to buy. [*rolling eyes at myself because I know how ridiculous that sounds*}

Also, wanted to send good thoughts and prayers to Venus, KYBunnies, Loosheesh and AnemicOak, and also those with other health issues.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #457
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't even know how many books there are total, I just keep chugging through one by one. Last one I read was #16 Portrait in Death, so next up is "Imitation in Death". I don't know how far in the series that is. I think there are some 30 odd books? I get annoyed though at the short stories in between, like I do with any series. I don't read short stories and it throws me off when I see the numbers like 17.5 on goodreads. Sometimes its even worse and like 1.2, 1.4, 1,6, yikes.
As of this month's Concealed in Death, there are
38 full length books
9 novellas *
and Remember When
(the first half is a Nora Roberts contemporary, the second half is an In Death futuristic)

* I don't like some of the later novellas because
Spoiler:
I don't think the paranormal stuff belongs in Eve & Roarke's world
I like to read the novellas in between series books for this series and ones like Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. If you are not going to read all of them, the only novella I recommend people do not skip is "Interlude in Death" as it does impact the rest of the series. You can get by without reading the others, though I enjoyed most of them just for the character interactions.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #458
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
As of this month's Concealed in Death, there are
38 full length books
9 novellas *
and Remember When
(the first half is a Nora Roberts contemporary, the second half is an In Death futuristic)

* I don't like some of the later novellas because
Spoiler:
I don't think the paranormal stuff belongs in Eve & Roarke's world
I like to read the novellas in between series books for this series and ones like Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. If you are not going to read all of them, the only novella I recommend people do not skip is "Interlude in Death" as it does impact the rest of the series. You can get by without reading the others, though I enjoyed most of them just for the character interactions.
Thanks, 38 wow . I have a little more to go then. Will she ever finish that series? Will we see Eve and Roarke in some retirement community off planet?
At the rate I am going it will take me like 3-5 years to get to the end, assuming she doesn't write anymore in between.

I did read Interlude in Death as someone somewhere told me I need too. It took some grumbling from me. I just have this adverse reaction to filler stuff in between the books. Its not like there are only a few books in this series, 38 should be enough to tell the story without sprinkling in these pesky short thingies. I hate them. I hate them with Ilona Andrews, I hate them with Sherilyn Kenyon, I hate them in all the series. I actually stopped reading the dark Hunter stuff as I just can't be bothered to figure out the order. When I need to make charts and maps to figure stuff out before I even pick the next book, you lost me as a reader. I am simple. I want book 1 through book 8 or whatever and that is it. Hmpf.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #459
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

There will be at least 3 more. Festive in Death this year and 2 in 2015. She has said repeatedly she will let us know if and when she plans to end the series, so no doubt she plans to keep going at this point.

Plus only three years have gone by in the book's world despite real time being nearly 20 years and the number of books (Naked in Death starts in February 2058 and Concealed takes place December 2060)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #460
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Deal from Simon & Schuster (was previously on sale for $2.99 in May 2013)

The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires (Half Moon Hollow) by Molly Harper - $1.99
Kindle | Kobo

Quote:
“The thing to remember about a ‘stray’ vampire is that there is probably a good reason he is friendless, alone, and wounded. Approach with caution.”

Iris Scanlon, Half-Moon Hollow’s only daytime vampire concierge, knows more about the undead than she’d like. Running their daylight errands—from letting in the plumber to picking up some chilled Faux Type O—gives her a look at the not-so-glamorous side of vamps. Her rules are strict; relationships are purely business, not friendship—and certainly not anything more. Then she finds her newest client, Cal, poisoned on his kitchen floor, and her quiet life turns upside down.

Cal—who would be devastatingly sexy, if Iris thought vampires were sexy—offers Iris a hefty fee for hiding him at her place. And even though he’s imperious, unfriendly, and doesn’t seem to understand the difference between “employee” and “servant,” she agrees. But as they search for who wants him permanently dead, Iris is breaking more and more of her own rules . . . particularly those about nudity. Could it be that what she really needs is some intrigue and romance—and her very own stray vampire?
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #461
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I love the In Death series and I've read all of them (they were my introduction to reading in English). But, if you don't like mysteries (not cozies), don't go there. The real romance novels are the three/four ones, which they read as a whole. The others? Family and friends.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #462
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
I came here to recommend a book but it turned out to the be the same one you just read I guess it must be good--I just bought it from Kobo with my non-US account with a coupon
I hope you love it as much as I do. The sequel and conclusion Unwound comes out on March 25th. Yes there is a cliffhanger at the end of Bound but no different than other books out there.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #463
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I hope you love it as much as I do. The sequel and conclusion Unwound comes out on March 25th. Yes there is a cliffhanger at the end of Bound but no different than other books out there.
I got me a sample of Bound. I really like the premise and if there are only 2 books, I can handle that. Just in case I really like it, I wait a little closer to the 25th in march. I hate waiting.
Not like I don't have enough books lined up I need to read first like library borrows.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #464
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I got me a sample of Bound. I really like the premise and if there are only 2 books, I can handle that. Just in case I really like it, I wait a little closer to the 25th in march. I hate waiting.
Not like I don't have enough books lined up I need to read first like library borrows.
Good idea because it put me in a book funk but Naked in Death is bringing me out of it. After reading it any romance looks good!

I really like Ronin he doesn't have the A-H factor that other heroes in this trope does. He is Alpha but a nice one.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #465
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think I DNF'd it. I found it boring and didn't like the relationship between Eve and Rourke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
It is weird that there is no build up in the romance and Nora is known for that. I do like futuristic romance if done right. The whole world building is something I think that keeps throwing me off. If I do read up to book 4 then I will take my time no back to back for these books!